Some Untold Stories About Calicut Pens.

mohan

You surely have documented the history of calicut pen manufacturing forever in the archives of FPN. Thanks for such a nice contribution. It will ensure that such a beautiful story is not lost in the tide of time.

Edited by cjpandya

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mohan

• hari317

• K Singh

• Abusafreen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

1960 – 1970 - THE GOLDEN ERA

So many varieties of pens have been produced in this period. Given below are few examples.

fpn_1420650277__9994385046_3747921174.jp

2013-09-16_003240 by mohancv, on Flickr

Kim Metro- This is a desk pen made by Kim during early 1960s. It has a celluloid body and a slip on cap.

Compared to a Safari. See how long it is!

fpn_1420650333__2013-09-16_003453_zps968

See the clip. Cant’ put in pocket. Clip’s function is only to prevent rolling down.

fpn_1420650380__2013-09-16_002754_zps0a5

SOME SPECIALITIES OF PENS MADE IN CALICUT.

As competition increases naturally every shop makes their pen to perfection.

They added new features, new materials , new designs—people rejoice! More choices, at competitive prices!

Now we look special features the pen shops introduced at that time to attract people.

1. All the Calicut pens, except for the cheapest school pens are made with built in inner sleeves inside the cap for nib protection. This also prevents the drying of nib.

2. Also most of these had multiple threads for quick removal of caps – A feature not seen even in a modern GEM pen. ( sorry to say this, but I am a fan of Mr. Pratap of Gem pens). Even the largest of the pens open with in maximum one to three turns.

3. Most of the higher pens have a built in step in the section threads to act as an “O ring “ to prevent ink leaking.

fpn_1420650427__2013-09-17_013001_zpsede

Multichannel ebonite feeds – these are standard in all except cheapest student pens.

fpn_1420650515__2013-09-14_051225_zpsede

See this particular design. The last part of ink in the barrel cannot enter into the section. This is a method to prevent burping. But this design is not seen in modern pens.

As competition progressed, shops throwing many new designs and materials to the market.

fpn_1420650579__9994332465_8565c25fe3.jp

2013-09-16_004951 by mohancv, on Flickr

This is Kim Lady. A small clip less celluloid pen meant for ladies.

fpn_1420650638__9994384716_5d3b2f6d96.jp

2013-09-16_004803 by mohancv, on Flickr

It’s size is perfect for a small purse. Opens with just ¾ of a turn.

fpn_1420650737__9994332075_b7e0383334.jp

2013-09-16_005053 by mohancv, on Flickr

fpn_1420650776__2013-09-22_095126_zps7e6

This is a Kim Lady. Green.

fpn_1420650835__9994476093_e76613946c.jp

2013-09-22_095213 by mohancv, on Flickr

fpn_1420651168__9994344284_6f6dd47574.jp

2013-09-22_095757 by mohancv, on Flickr

Kim lady Varient. All clipless.

ABOUT MATERIALS

As you can imagine, the main stays are ebonite and celluloid. Initially ebonite rods were coming from England and later local production started at Madras.

Celluloid were coming from Germany, and local production never started. Celluloids were called as “Shells” as were coming as not rods but as tubes. These were costly and afforded by affluent class only. Shell pens were almost not made after around late sixties.

Other materials included Rosewoods, Teak and some precious woods. All these failed- as you can imagine- there was no other filling mechanism apart from eyedropper!

fpn_1420651657__kim-big-red.jpg

2013-09-22_094542 by mohancv, on Flickr

This Is Kim Big Red. Celluloid. A hot selling model of Kim from 1960s to 1970s.

fpn_1420651703__amber-vacu.jpg

2013-09-16_093443 by mohancv, on Flickr

Amber Vacumatic- Ebonite- ED- Made around late 60s.

fpn_1420651746__2013-09-16_093601_zps9fb

Design closely related to Kriptok Vacumatic.

fpn_1420651789__9994458123_39b3f15e15.jp

2013-09-16_093710 by mohancv, on Flickr

fpn_1420651822__2013-09-16_093822_zps162

Three Vacumatics.

Does kim & co have any website??? or photostream...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 6 months later...

Wow! Just read this super informative, rich thread just now. Many thanks Mohan for taking all the time and effort to create such a powerful essay, made all the more richer with those beautiful images,! Can you please share their contact, I would love to try procure the Big and the cigar shaped pens.

• 1 month later...

Dear Mr CV Mohan

I would like to send you an email about writing an article on Pens and Calicut

How can I contact you?

rgds

maddy

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed reading this Mohan. I spend almost all my winters in Kerala but never knew this about Kozhikode. I will sure pay a visit to Kim's this coming winter. I will post photos here afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading your post got interested regarding Ebonite Pens. So planning to buy Kim Small from Kim & Co. One of my students is from calicut so I have asked him to get me from the shop itself. Hope he would go by second half of October.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Mohan for a great article.

Got my first Kim small in rippled green color and enjoying. A true well crafted pen . But the ink aperture is not there in section. Have they stopped producing same feature ? Please revert

Thanks again

Baaz

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the detailed review. Those Kim and Co ebonite feeds look like Sheaffer NN feeds. I would love to get my hands on some of those.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Great article !!

Most fascinating thing is to know that my nearby city Kunnamkulam used to make fountain pens - Jubilee- never heard before.

I will dig down deeper on this and try to come up with some new information on them.

Great article !!

Most fascinating thing is to know that my nearby city Kunnamkulam used to make fountain pens - Jubilee- never heard before.

I will dig down deeper on this and try to come up with some new information on them.

Great article !!

• 5 months later...

Dear Mohanji. Thank you so much for such an informative. post. I too am from Kozhikode but working in Delhi at the moment.

I'd definitely love to meet you to learn more about pens and to know you in general. I'm just exploring the world of fountain pens and trying to appreciate what are the pens worth exploring/buying.

Warm regards

Manish

• 1 month later...

Wow!

Excellent article Mr Mohan. Really enjoyed reading, very informative and detailed!

Beautiful photographs and immersive narration.

Thank you

Praveen

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mohan,

Thanks for a well researched, well illustrated article. You should edit it and send this to newspapers like The Hindu, or local Kerala newspapers.

Many of us use ball point pens because of lack of known alternatives. Fountain Pens certainly provide that and a chance to improve one's handwriting. They are also better placed to save environment, due to absence of plastic to throw away (granted the feeder is plastic, but how many times do you change them?)

Kudos, and I hope more members find the time to put forth such wonderful articles.

Best regards,

• 1 year later...

Dear Mr. Mohan, thanks to your article, I actually went ahead to Kim &Co. store on one of my frequent Calicut visits. Met the owner of the shop and they were more than happy to show me their collection of handmade pens! Simply couldnt resist myself, and ended up buying myself my very first ebonite pen! And boy oh boy, I am in love with this pen! Superb craftsmanship and very enthusiastic staff! Just wish they got some well deserved recognition!

post-147624-0-75225800-1548332243_thumb.jpeg

Edited by discoversam