Some Untold Stories About Calicut Pens.

mohan

This is really well researched and a fantastic post. Thanks Mohan!

Would you know if there is a way to procure the Kim Master 1 or the Kim Small/Big without traveling to Calicut? Do Kim and Co. have a website where one can purchase these or do they take orders on e-mail or phone?

Like me, I am sure many others would love to get these pens.

Again, thanks for the information and pictures.

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mohan

• hari317

• K Singh

• Abusafreen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sudhir,

First time I am seeing your post. Welcome to fpn.

For buying you can contact them by phone or email.

Ill send you a PM.

Edited by mohan

Sudhir,

First time I am seeing your post. Welcome to fpn.

For buying you can contact them by phone or email.

Ill send you a PM.

Thanks. Will wait for your PM with the information.

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

I Am going there next time i get a holiday. And i mean seriously loved to read it. Have a friend from Calicut will take him along and will bring back loads of stuff.

@mohan can you pm me some of the addresses of the shops presently operating :)

Sudhir, PM send. sorry for being late.

akstorm,

if you can come calicut, there should be no confusion. SM street is just walkable distance from Railway station. anybody can show you Kim pens.

Just come and grab all of them.... and enjoy!

CAUTION- If you have come just after me, nothing would be left!

This is an absolutely amazing story, and very well told. There is a lot to be learned here! Thank you for this insight into a very different way of manufacturing pens than I would have ever guessed.

T

Sudhir, PM send. sorry for being late.

akstorm,

if you can come calicut, there should be no confusion. SM street is just walkable distance from Railway station. anybody can show you Kim pens.

Just come and grab all of them.... and enjoy!

CAUTION- If you have come just after me, nothing would be left!

I shall make it a point that i give them ample time to re stalk their stash after your shopping spree.

• 3 weeks later...

I was bit late reading this excellent post. A year back or so I visited Kim and bought some pens. But at that time, I was fully unaware this great Calicut Pen History.

Thank you very much Mohan for sharing the stories.

-saji

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for a wonderful multi post. Really enjoyed the posting.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

• 2 months later...

Thanks, great history to know. I am working on a new review of a smaller size ebonite Kim & Co. pen that I received from Mesu last week. Really enjoying it. The big models just looked to large to use comfortably.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I think what I have is a Kim Small, Cigar shape. Will post a photo later. I want to be sure I identify it correctly!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Its true that Kim&Co have produced a few cigar shaped Smalls during 2013. To differenciate it from 2011 look the clip end. If it is spherical it is Small. If having a flat end, it is 2011.

• 4 months later...

And to think I was posted there for 18 months with absolutely no inkling of this aspect of Calicut's history!!

i'll be sure to procure at least a Kim small next time I'm there! Thank you for the history lesson and the pics of the Bismi pens which I too remember from my school days. ( We all had their labels stuck on our school books - red and yellow with the profile of a nib if I recall correctly)

Fantastic work Mohan. I somehow missed this post until now. I have spent my early years in Calicut and walked across the SM street innumerable times. I still visit Calicut occasionally and do the mandatory visit to Kim & Co apart from having Calicut Chicken Biriyani, visit to Paragon hotel, Calicut beach and having the great Calicut Sharbat & Sharjha shake!.

Great effort,

pbhat

• 1 month later...

Thanks mohan for all the information. A fascinating read.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

What a fantastically informative thread, mohan. Thank you for the well researched information and the photos, too. When I saw the Kriptoks, I immediately thought of some of the pens in Hari's Kalasipalaya thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/269605-the-kalasipalaya-haul-of-vintage-indian-celluloids/

• 3 weeks later...

Mohan,

I am just now finding your wonderful multi-part post. You organized the history in a very easy-to-follow manner with beautiful photographs.

I thank you for taking the time to write it up and share it with us.

There is a seller on E-Bay "krishnapens" ; could that be from the Krishna Optical and Pens store? All of their pens have the word "Kim" in the name.

Kind regards,

Kia

We are here on earth to do good unto others. What the others are here for, I have no idea.

- W.H. Auden