Meeting Mr Lakshmana Rao Of Guider Pens Again…After A Year And Some More…Part 4 – The Guider Acrylic New Raja Fps

shrujaya

Continuing with Mr Lakshmana Rao’s experiments in acrylic…the ones being shown here are the standard size which is called Raja in local FP parlance (I heard the name Raja being used to describe the standard size by many Andhra Pradesh based handmade FP manufacturers during my interactions with them) … these are beautiful looking pens and the blended colours of acrylic gives each pen a unique look…in that sense, no two pens look alike…I picked up the blue and red first and then picked up the amber one too…somehow liked the golden shimmer…

I had mentioned I Part-3 that the White and Red Jumbo FPs seem to be made from acrylic rods…and responding to the post on Red Acrylic Jumbo, Hari mentioned that ‘acrylic is also available as thick sheets which are then cut into square sticks and then rounded on a lathe’… I think these pens below must be made out of acrylic tubes …the end plugs are for that reason I think… must do some research on this…or better, ask the pen maker himself…

Mr Lakshmana Rao has tried different things in terms of design…the blue one is flat topped and flat ended…the red has rounded ends…the amber one has a metal cap jewel and rounded barrel end…the final group photo tells us that all colours are more or less available in these three designs… here are some photos…

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/1-Maharaja_zps300cc9e8.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/2-Maharaja_zps1568a630.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/3-Maharaja_zps2dec6093.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/4-Maharaja_zpsfd884706.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/6-Maharaja_zpscde0ec02.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/7-Maharaja_zps5ea259c5.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/8-Maharaja_zps9be42e83.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/9-Maharaja_zps377860f4.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/10-Maharaja_zpsc2791fbc.jpg

Thanks for visiting and reading…

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrujaya

• hari317

• Hema

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Guider acrylics are very beautiful. Your pics capture the sheen very well.

My daughter first got the acrylics from him: Guider Kid model

I placed order for the flat top Raja model which are on their way. Cant wait to try them :)

I am loving this series that you are putting out. Good work Jai.

The red in the middle is lovely. If in your position, I would have been tempted to get some too...

But the clips..., I wish they would avoid stamping Guider on them? A stylised G logo as found on the nib could have been engraved behind the cap or on the barrel, no?

Regards

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

But it would look too much like the FPR Dilli's clip. I have a no-name pen I bought last year from another FPN member with that same clip, gold-colored. We call it a prikichi, or parakeet, because of its color. And because of the clip.

Maybe Guider should make its clips in the form of a stylized G.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thanks Mesu, Hari, and mhguda...for your responses...

Mesu...actually the pens are beautiful in themselves...I only aim and shoot...your daughter must have loved the colourful Kid...flat top Raja looks fab...enjoy...

Hari...thanks for the constant support...go on, go for the red... :rolleyes: yeah, them clips...

mhguda...thanks...will pass on yours and Hari's suggestions reg. the clips to GLR...

Regards,

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

I am loving this series that you are putting out. Good work Jai.

The red in the middle is lovely. If in your position, I would have been tempted to get some too...

But the clips..., I wish they would avoid stamping Guider on them? A stylised G logo as found on the nib could have been engraved behind the cap or on the barrel, no?

Regards

Hari

I've been looking at the clips too (thinking about doing a review) and it's definitely one of the things that bothers me most about the pens. These pen colors are amazing though.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Of my four Guiders one does not have the bird beak clip, and if they made one available to change the existing one, I would jump at it, even with the name stamped on it as it is now... it would be much better than the straight boring one on my "Ebonite".

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Hello !

I've been a visitor on FPN for years now and this is the first time I'm posting a message! I always come to FPN to check pen reviews before I make a purchase. And, I must say, Shrujaya, Hari and Jai, it is your posts that have inspired me to begin posting. I have been an avid fountain pen user and collector for years now. I had no clue of any Indian pens apart from Camlin and Fellowship, that I used in school as a child. It is thanks to you guys that I have learnt of Deccan pens, Ratnam pens and others. And, I'm very happy to have recently ordered my first Ratnam pens which should be on their way soon!

I have Pelikan, Sheaffer, Lamy, Menteverde, Faber Castell, Sailor and many more pens. Maybe I'll start doing reviews too soon.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful reviews, stories and information! It is much appreciated :)

Hello !

I've been a visitor on FPN for years now and this is the first time I'm posting a message! I always come to FPN to check pen reviews before I make a purchase. And, I must say, Shrujaya, Hari and Jai, it is your posts that have inspired me to begin posting. I have been an avid fountain pen user and collector for years now. I had no clue of any Indian pens apart from Camlin and Fellowship, that I used in school as a child. It is thanks to you guys that I have learnt of Deccan pens, Ratnam pens and others. And, I'm very happy to have recently ordered my first Ratnam pens which should be on their way soon!

I have Pelikan, Sheaffer, Lamy, Menteverde, Faber Castell, Sailor and many more pens. Maybe I'll start doing reviews too soon.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful reviews, stories and information! It is much appreciated :)

Hi Hema,

Welcome to FPN! WE look forward to more posts and reviews from you.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The pens look great - interesting choices of colors.

The clips don't look so nice, at least in the pictures - perhaps they look better when seen with the pens? How do the nibs write?

Hema...hello and welcome to FPN...thanks for the nice words...happy to be an Indian FP inspiration...FPN is our hangout...

Please do post on FPN...and we would be eager to see your review of Ratam FPs...and btw, shrujaya and jai are the same person...

Regards,

Shrujaya

Thanks Simius...colourful, aren't they? clips...he he...different opinions...I haven't yet dip tested the nibs...will do so and respond...

Regards,

Shrujaya

• 4 weeks later...

Waiting for your opinion on the nibs

Thank you

Rajan

Thanks Simius...colourful, aren't they? clips...he he...different opinions...I haven't yet dip tested the nibs...will do so and respond...

Regards,

Shrujaya

Rajan...thanks for reminding me...should have done this soon enough...

I got these three pens out and dip tested them with Bril Red ink...and with a dip test, one can only talk about the smoothness...so, of the three, the nib on the Blue Raja is the best in terms of smoothness and lays down a nice wet line...the one on the Amber Raja is also smooth, but not as smooth as the one on the Blue Raja...the one on the Red is scratchy...I must ask for a replacement, I think...

Regards,

Shrujaya