The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mb 1912 - Exsessive Surface Wear Around Cap

1912 wear

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 Gary1952

Gary1952

Mr

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:01

I have just ordered one and will be interested to see if it has the same wear issues.

I recently looked at one in the Montblanc shop in Perth, Western Australia and it had no signs of wear.
Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

Sponsored Content

#102 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:55

I have just ordered one and will be interested to see if it has the same wear issues.

I recently looked at one in the Montblanc shop in Perth, Western Australia and it had no signs of wear.

Chances are the rings will start appearing after a month of regular use.
I don't consider it a problem. The heritage pen is a user-pen not a collector's item--in my view.

Edited by meiers, 28 March 2014 - 02:57.

#103 HermetiC

HermetiC

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:12

Does anyone have a MB 1912 which has not exhibited the surface scratches discussed in this topic?

Mine has not this problem. Used daily from January to now.

#104 Zenistar

Zenistar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 14:53

I happened to be in a high end pen shop in Zurich today to buy some inks and I thought I would take a look at the Heritage as I've been desperate for one.

I had a good chat with the sales person who was not aware of the scratch problem and she took me to the balcony area of the shop which is full of MB to check a demo pen. After a quick search she couldn't find any Heritage pens in their display cases or in their stock drawers and was promptly told by another sales person that all the pens had just been exchanged by MB due to the scratches.

After a couple of minutes I got my hands on a demo pen which had no scratches on it, but I was hesitant to buy as I asked if they would give me an exchange if the scratches appeared with the only answer being - it would have to be exchanged / repaired under the normal MB guarantee. Rather than risk this, I've put the purchase on hold a week or two and will check in to see if the demo pen develops any scratches going forward.

letterji9.png  Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)postcardde9.png

#105 macball

macball

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 16:34

I am a bit confused about comments in this thread regarding the purpose of the inner ring and posting the cap. After seeing pictures of the pen a few months ago I went to see one at an authorized dealer. I was particularly attracted by the cap logo. I was surprised to see how small the pen is. Although reports of the nib performance are outstanding, I felt that it was small and plain looking. The deal breaker for me was the small size of the pen could not be countered by posting the cap to improve its balance and appearance. There is a safety pin on the inside of the cap used to protect an extended nib that prevents it from being posted. The shape also makes the cap very loose when attempting to post it. I wouldn't have trusted the posted cap to stay balanced on the top of the barrel for one second! There is only one picture on the internet showing the 1912 posted and I am told that this photo was staged. Everyone I have spoken to say that the 1912 cannot be posted. Is there some model variation that allows it to be posted?

#106 Zenistar

Zenistar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 17:21

Is there some model variation that allows it to be posted?

No, there is no 'postable' model.

letterji9.png  Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)postcardde9.png

#107 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 23:11

The purpose of the inner ring is to scratch the barrel of my heritage pen.

#108 KJY

KJY

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:27

Today I received the Heritage back from the repair dep.

I had a flow problem due to the use of the permanent blue ink (my own suspicion)

So the flow wasn't good anymore and when writing I put to much pressure on it. They readjusted the tines and it writes very smooth again (with royal blue ink)

I also let them take a look at the scratches, but MB adresses this to normal wear.

This was all explained in a two pages letter from MB Hamburg.

I can live with the microscratches as long as the nib is smooth!

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):
Appelboom

#109 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:29

+1

#110 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:30

Today I received the Heritage back from the repair dep.
I had a flow problem due to the use of the permanent blue ink (my own suspicion)
So the flow wasn't good anymore and when writing I put to much pressure on it. They readjusted the tines and it writes very smooth again (with royal blue ink)

I also let them take a look at the scratches, but MB adresses this to normal wear.
This was all explained in a two pages letter from MB Hamburg.

I can live with the microscratches as long as the nib is smooth!

Would you share the letter with us?

#111 gistar

gistar

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:01

I have yet to take the plunge though I find the 1912 fascinates me. But normal wear and tear and a two page letter to explain it away? Come on MB.

Gistar

#112 edwardt

edwardt

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2016 - 13:46

I had the same issue with a Pelikan M800 green striated.

Here is how I solved it:

I took a roll of 600 sand paper, tight and put it inside the cap, let it loose a little and turned it as if to unroll it.

A few turns should do the trick, be careful how much it goes in the cap, do not let it go too deep, mine went up to the threads!

So, measure where it needs the sanding.

Then, with tooth paste (Arm and Hammer in my case) I polished the barrel.

It looks fine now.

Next in line is a MB SE 75th Anniversary with the same problem. I will do a follow up when I fix it.

Cheers,

Hi Gilberto,

It's been a few years since you've performed your fix by lightly sanding the inner ring with fine sandpaper. Can you please confirm if that's fixed the scratching problem since (assuming you've continued to use the pen regularly)?

Thanks.

#113 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2016 - 17:35

I would not do that. The inner ring adds stability to the cap which is very fragile.

#114 Gilberto Castaneda

Gilberto Castaneda

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2016 - 18:11

Hi Gilberto,

It's been a few years since you've performed your fix by lightly sanding the inner ring with fine sandpaper. Can you please confirm if that's fixed the scratching problem since (assuming you've continued to use the pen regularly)?

Thanks.

Hi.

I had forgotten about this thread.

I went to see my Pel, it seems fine, a few marks, but you really need to put it in a certain angle to light to see them, and I do not know whether they are recent of left due to insufficient sanding last time.

Anyway, nothing bad.

Cheers,

Gilberto Castańeda

#115 edwardt

edwardt

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2016 - 21:18

Thanks Meiers and Gilberto. I won't sand it then.

#116 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2016 - 23:21

Thanks Meiers and Gilberto. I won't sand it then.

The circular mark around the barrel is evident in many vintage fountain pens from the era that the Heritage 1912 celebrates.

Edited by meiers, 21 September 2016 - 00:07.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1912, wear

Sponsored Content

|