Mb 1912 - Exsessive Surface Wear Around Cap

Bigeddie

Yep

Either us it and enjoy it or put it in a display case and enjoy it, but don't use it and expect it to not show any history of being used.

Mint pens are never used;)

Paul

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Bigeddie

• Paul80

• fountainbel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently postet that I exchanged my MB 1912 in a Pelikan 1005m Demonstrator. I was so fascinated about the demonstrator, that I bought a second one from Delta. The Delta stantuffo shadow grey. Both very Great pens.post-56114-0-24915600-1386973388_thumb.jpgpost-56114-0-53707500-1386973432_thumb.jpgpost-56114-0-27677400-1386973474_thumb.jpg

When I ask myself why I don't have a Heritage 1912, I remind myself of this excessive wear around the cap problem and think, "Oh yeah, that's why."

Actually, I went to the San Francisco boutique a couple of months ago to see the pen with my hands, and I was very tempted. I don't care so much for the cap's finial, but I think I could come to like it very much, too. I very much like the size and look of the pen, uncapped. Too bad about that excessive wear, though. (Code for "other financial priorities.")

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

When I ask myself why I don't have a Heritage 1912, I remind myself of this excessive wear around the cap problem and think, "Oh yeah, that's why."

I love mine. Especially its battle scars.

Actually, I went to the San Francisco boutique a couple of months ago to see the pen with my hands, and I was very tempted. I don't care so much for the cap's finial, but I think I could come to like it very much, too. I very much like the size and look of the pen, uncapped. Too bad about that excessive wear, though. (Code for "other financial priorities.")

Mind you thinking about this, is it really a new issue, I had a look at my older Montblancs last night under a loupe and one of those clearly showed rotational scratches around the barrel made by the edge of the cap and that pen was a 149.

That was a well used pen, is this just an indication that nowadays most owners just don't use their pens as much as pens used to be used so wear marks are no longer the problem they used to be used but as soon as a modern pen is used heavily the wear returns and this is why MB regard it as acceptable.

Are you are just using it as a signature pen or are you writing dozens of letters a day.

Are MB pens made for heavy use or just for their show off value?

Paul

Hi Paul ,

Posting scratches are unavoidable on pens which post in a conical manner.

I always avoid posting on these pens.

This is the reason why we opted for a cylindrical posting with O rings on the Fountainbel Conid bulk fillers

The issue discussed here is quiet different, here the scratches are generated during the screw-up operation of the cap.

After further reflection on the matter, and reading the rubbing internal ring is made from a soft material, i think this soft(er) material could be a disadvantage.

Abrasive dirt particles can easily imbed in the soft material and stick there permanently.

As earlier stated, enlarging the internally protruding ring surface a few tenths of a millimeter looks the only solution to me.

Francis

It wouldn't bother me. It's like the marks seen on the barrel of the Parker 51 left by the slip cap.

I love mine. Especially its battle scars.

Shhhush, I'm listening....

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

It wouldn't bother me. It's like the marks seen on the barrel of the Parker 51 left by the slip cap.

Oh it would bother me like hell :-(

If scratches and signs of usage are my fault......that is ok.

But if it is foreseeable that only unscrewing the cap will after short blemish the surface

as it is shown in the picture......that is a no go flag.

The Heritage was on my Xmas wish list but I will not pay 860 Euro for a build in design flaw.

It's a great pity that this happen to this unique pen.

But I am pretty sure, MB will correct it.

Greetings

Thomas

Oh it would bother me like hell :-(

If scratches and signs of usage are my fault......that is ok.

But if it is foreseeable that only unscrewing the cap will after short blemish the surface

as it is shown in the picture......that is a no go flag.

The Heritage was on my Xmas wish list but I will not pay 860 Euro for a build in design flaw.

It's a great pity that this happen to this unique pen.

But I am pretty sure, MB will correct it.

Greetings

Thomas

I have similar marks on my 149's and 146's --- though not as pronounced.

I also have the same marks on an m800 I own, it shows some clear circular lines around the entire barrel.

The interesting thing is, the marks are under the point where the cap is already 'threaded' onto the barrel. It's screwed on for half a turn, and then the cap is 'on top' of the scratches.

With this in mind, I don't think there is any possible way that I could have prevented this...

And no, there is nothing inside the cap, it's squeaky clean, always has been, always will be :)

I'm not really bothered by this, as it is one of my workhorse pens, but I can imagine that one would be bothered if the pen he/she buys is considered a special purchase, e.g. a gift or a once in a lifetime spending so much on a pen...

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am very tempted to buy a MB 1912, however the issue with surface wear caused by the cap concerns me.

Does anyone know if Montblanc has resolved this design problem yet?

Does anyone have a MB 1912 which has not exhibited the surface scratches discussed in this topic?

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

I was last week again in my shop. I asked them if they heard anything from Montblanc. But they did not get news so far. The only thing they told me was, that no one else came in to claim the same problem.

After gaving back my 1912 in the shop I am very pleased to write with the perlikan demonstrator M1005 which I bought afterwards :-) When MB will have solved the problem I am open to buy a 1912 again.

Best regards roger

Hi,

I am very tempted to buy a MB 1912, however the issue with surface wear caused by the cap concerns me.

Does anyone know if Montblanc has resolved this design problem yet?

Does anyone have a MB 1912 which has not exhibited the surface scratches discussed in this topic?

I've had mine for 6 months and have never had a problem...great pen!

Thanks for this feedback orfew,

I looks Montblanc provided a too small "theoretical" radial gap between the closed cap and the barrel.

However not taken enough in account small variations in shrinkage of the cap and the backlash variations on the threading.

The only manner to solve the problem is removing/sanding and final polishing a few tenths of a millimeter inside the cap, beneath the position of the ring….

Francis

I hope someone at Mb who can have the problem fixed is reading this...

Bigeddie could you please give us an update on your MB 1912 pen?

Have the scratches in the barrel got worse?

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

Hi all folks!

I've visit a MB shop in Italy and they show me a new 1912, it was wrapped in cellophane before opening the package... And yes, I can see the issue with my eyes "surface wear rings" caused by the inner of cap on a NEW fountain pen opened for the first time by me with due attention and without "dust"!!! :lticaptd:

As I had mentioned the issue, the seller told me that all 1912 sold in the shop have the circular lines around the entire barrel, and explained me that it is a mistake in the inner design of the cap.

MB was aware of the 1912 issue and would solving the problem in future... But quietly, to avoid replace all the ones already sold, they do not recognize the defect to the buyers! :blush:

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman