Cross Coventry Fountain Pen At Staples.

flatline

Just bought the same exact pen at Staples, couln't believe the price for 2 nibs. Its my first Cross fountain pen. Can it use regular international cartridges or only Cross? Also, which converter does everyone like best?

Cross Refills Screw-in Style Converter for Century II and ATX Fountain Pen - 8030?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• pajaro

• lovemy51

• Sinner67

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bought the same pen a few weeks back as my first FP and agree with the comments above. The fine is almost too fine for me and has a tendency to feel very toothy on regular paper using the Cross black. The medium nib flows much smoother and overall nicer results. Both nibs can be used with light pressure and produce good results. I loaded up one of the cartridges last night with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts ink to see if it would flow any better. I haven't done much writing with it as of yet, but it seems to be smooth flowing through the fine nib.

For the converter, iirc, it has to be the Cross push in type (green).

I've done well so far refilling that first cartridge. After two refills, the cartridge shows no sign of wear.

I'm sure I'll eventually get the converter.

--flatline

Staples is running the same deal on the white Cross Aventura.

Comes with medium nib.

However you get 6 cartridge refills for free, as opposed to the free fine pt nib + 2 cartridges you get with the Coventry.

I bought one of these and one of the Coventry packs. They seem to be selling well at $20.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the same pen a few weeks back as my first FP and agree with the comments above. The fine is almost too fine for me and has a tendency to feel very toothy on regular paper using the Cross black. The medium nib flows much smoother and overall nicer results. Both nibs can be used with light pressure and produce good results. I loaded up one of the cartridges last night with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts ink to see if it would flow any better. I haven't done much writing with it as of yet, but it seems to be smooth flowing through the fine nib.

For the converter, iirc, it has to be the Cross push in type (green).

interesting. the push-in converter doesn't fit (too long), but the screw-in type fits just pushing it in!

interesting. the push-in converter doesn't fit (too long), but the screw-in type fits just pushing it in!

Hmm...that doesn't seem like a good thing...

--flatline

Hmm...that doesn't seem like a good thing...

--flatline

oh, no problem at all. I just got a screw-in type con and it fits right... just push it in.

Flatline - I noticed this pen at the Canadian Staples as well. All the packaging indicates an 'F' nib - but the pen comes in a "medium" and a 'fine'? It's confusing because they have 'F' on the packaging. I was confused because I can't see selling a FP with 2 fine nibs. I prefer Medium nibs so I let this one go.

Thanks

Flatline - I noticed this pen at the Canadian Staples as well. All the packaging indicates an 'F' nib - but the pen comes in a "medium" and a 'fine'? It's confusing because they have 'F' on the packaging. I was confused because I can't see selling a FP with 2 fine nibs. I prefer Medium nibs so I let this one go.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the "F" in the corner of the packaging stands for "fountain pen". Look closely at the nibs and you should be able to read an 'M' on the left side of one and an 'F' on the left side of the other.

--flatline

I am looking to pick one of these up. How wide would you say the barrel is? I prefer a wide barrel pen.

Thanks so much for your time!

It's a pretty small pen.

If you have a Pilot Metropolitan (or 78G? Aren't they the same size and shape?) handy for comparison, the Coventry's section is similar to the Metropolitan section. The Coventry's barrel is about as wide as the widest part of the section.

--flatline

I bought one of these, just because I didn't believe that Cross even sold a F point steel nib, and if they did, I reasoned, it'd have to be (bleep). It wasn't. And then I remembered I had an 18K Heritance 5mm F point nib sitting around from years ago doing nothing, which fit right into the stock section. Voila. Writing perfection. Nicely balanced, decently built.

I liked the first one so much I bought a second one just for grins.

Although I got each for $20 (MSRP $49.95), these are not cheaply made pens. They have a nice weight to them. I was so impressed with the first nib swapout that I ordered another Heritance (no gold left, though, just steel SF) 5 mm nib and put it in the second one. It's really hard to tell the difference between them, but there's something about knowing you're writing on 18K gold that makes the experience that much nicer.

Both flow ink very, very well. I have to admit that even the Cross nibs were decent (not exciting, just decent); but they're now doing nothing. The Heritance nibs give them just that little extra bit of refined look. Cross brand converters fit, 'standard' converters don't. They don't come with a converter, so you'll have to order one yourself.

Somebody asked about barrel diameter: 0.418" at the widest point, 0.335" on the mid-point of the section. A little narrow -- but not too much -- for me, I prefer my sections right around 0.4". Capped, it's 5.50" long.

Neque porro quisquam est que dolorem ipsum ...

So now we have conflicting reports about whether or not the green Cross converter works in this pen.

Lovemy51 was the one who reported that the green converter didn't fit his pen. Could you please try again?

--flatline

So now we have conflicting reports about whether or not the green Cross converter works in this pen.

Lovemy51 was the one who reported that the green converter didn't fit his pen. Could you please try again?

--flatline

ok, I should have explained better... the green push-in con fits well in the section but then, the barrel won't close all the way. the screw in con is a bit smaller than the green one, hence the barrel screws in all the way.

I have tried it for the second time with the same results.

Picked up a couple of the Coventry's at Staples here in Iowa for the $20 less 20% coupon ($16 each). I prefer the fine nib and it writes very nicely.

I use one for everyday when I am not wearing a shirt pocket (for my Lamy) and put the Coventry in my pants pocket. Writes well when I need it.

I recently picked up one from Staples too, and I also am finding that the green push in converter does not fit. It is slightly too long for the pen barrel. It's literally a matter of millimetres.

The brown screw in converter is a snug fit (even if you push in, rather than screw in) and just the right length.

Just picked one of these up for about $20.

Writes well. Nib is a little bland and the clip is idiotically low on the cap.

Ты слышишь?

Нас зовёт на волю из темницы

Весны победной шум...

Has anyone seen these in red? My face was all on sideways when I saw the gorgeous red ballpoint right underneath it in the display, but could not find this pen in any color but blue, black, and steel. (there might have been a white one, but that is not red either...)

T