Where To Buy Nice Esterbrook "j" Pens In The Uk ?

sunburyboy93

Hi all,

Have just discovered these pens and would like to add a few to my small collection of vintage pens, does anyone know where in the United Kingdom one might find some nice quality pens ?

I won one on ebay UK for £20.00, but the only thing that is good is the nib, the pen cap and body is damaged, the guts inside are rusted and the section is stained and pitted, and it looked nice in the pics.

i got one from the USA for £30.00 ish and that has rusted out innards and a bent clip and a chip in the jewel, so i have spent over £50.00 so far on junk ;(

any ideas guys ?

Thanks

Steve

Edited by sunburyboy93

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grwilliams86

• corgicoupe

• Mikeambergris

• Michmeyer

If you don't mind ordering from the US, the AppleJim thread mentions a few good sellers. Also, Anderson Pens does a lot of work with Esterbrooks.

Also in the US, Rick Krantz always has a good inventory of reasonably priced Esties in nice condition. He posts on FPN frequently.

You have to be patient, but it is doable. I live in mainland Europe and this spring I bought few Esterbrook J pens on EBay for around £12-15 (including shipping). All except one in very reasonable condition. (That one had cracked nib collar.) Do not limit yourself to UK sellers only.

• 1 month later...

I would really like to know where to get Estie's in the UK as well, as I'm currently residing in Qatar, where Ebay, Amazon, and other US retailers are a little out of range... I'll be visiting London in a few weeks, and would like to go Esterbrook scouting if anyone can help.

Thanks

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."~James 1

Pelikan M200 B, Lamy Al-Star F (and Safari), Pilot 78G B, Reform 1745(x2), Sheaffer Viewpoint (x4), Hero 616, Hero 240, Hero 329/330

You could try Vintage Fountain Pens, www.vintagefountainpens.co.uk. He seems to regularly have a few J's, SJ's, LJ's and Dollar Pens. I haven't used so can't vouch for the quality. Maybe others on here can comment?

• 2 weeks later...

You could try Vintage Fountain Pens, www.vintagefountainpens.co.uk. He seems to regularly have a few J's, SJ's, LJ's and Dollar Pens. I haven't used so can't vouch for the quality. Maybe others on here can comment?

Wow, the cheapest one this guy has listed is $115 :yikes: Some $156 (standard J). I was thinking more along the lines of $30-$50 depending on restored condition ($50 being basically immaculate or a super-rare nib).

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."~James 1

Pelikan M200 B, Lamy Al-Star F (and Safari), Pilot 78G B, Reform 1745(x2), Sheaffer Viewpoint (x4), Hero 616, Hero 240, Hero 329/330

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone :-) I have 3 that I'm looking at selling. Maybe someone can help me with a price know I'm far but can always post.

Check MidnightPens on Etsy. In your price range and are restored. The question is shipping.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Wow, the cheapest one this guy has listed is $115 :yikes: Some $156 (standard J). I was thinking more along the lines of $30-$50 depending on restored condition ($50 being basically immaculate or a super-rare nib).

I should be able to work with you. Drop on by MidnightPens and look things over. I can even try a custom order for you.

There's your answer from MidnightPens

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• 8 months later...

I had mine imported to the UK from Goulet. It was promptly impounded for an extra £20 on top of the £70(ish) I paid already. Lovely pen however, nib on the Phaeton is wonderfully wet and smooth.

:wacko: I obviously made a steal at a local antique shop... My first Esterbrook fountain pen (I have three Dip-Less desk sets though)... An LJ (with common 2668 nib) for merely US$20... I expected to make that my first re-sac experience, but when I test flushed it with water and/or pen flush, it showed a good suction -- and has been in use through three fills so far.

I swapped the 2668 with a 9556 nib (with their "tip-dip" feed variant yet0 from an unused Dip-Less set.

• 1 month later...

Look for UK online pen retailers that sell RESTORED/REFURBISHED pens (they may call it something else in the UK.)

I got a professionally restored pen from an online pen shop in the USA for about the same price as one i got on eBay.

I know that the people who cleaned up the pen in the shop knew what they were doing. eBay can be a craps-shoot.

I also collect old pocket watches and the same principle applies, unless you run across a professional who also sells on eBay.

In that case you stick with reliable eBay sellers.

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

Realization of the vastness of one's own ignorance

is the first step on the road to true wisdom.

-- Adi Shankara