Nibs on Pelikan: Fine or Medium????

woodwindmaster06

I am trying to figure out from other people's experiences what they like to use on their Pelikan pens fine or medium.

-I dont want it to be too dried up or vice versa too wet

-This would be for both the 1000 and the city series which are the two I am considering and will be getting within a year

-Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated

-My though was to get medium on the city series and on the 1000 to get the fine so you can truly see the flexible nib come through

-And finally does anybody have any preferences on the 1000 to what finish: is the ink easily seen out of the green/black finish?? And will that green section on the black turn the color of ink that is put into it ect.????

Thanks

WWM

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velma

• woodwindmaster06

• Roger

• scribble

Any suggestions??? Is the fine nib "Wet" enough for most people???

Thanks

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

In my experience a Pelikan fine is more like a medium. I've never had a Pelikan that was too dry or too wet.

As to the flex - don't expect too much. They are very nice springy nibs, but they're not suitable for true flex writing such as Copperplate style.

I have an extra fine nib on my 200, and after eleven years it still writes smoothly. I'd say it's a bit wetter than most of my other extra fines (which include Hero fine nibs). I think you will enjoy it.

As to the flex - don't expect too much. They are very nice springy nibs, but they're not suitable for true flex writing such as Copperplate style.

Yes, to experience Pelikan flex, you'd have to be using vintage pens...

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." -Groucho Marx

Hi WWM,

With regard to the ink view window on a Pelikan, the ink generally can be seen very well through the window. As the window is a fairly dark green, I would doubt you would be able to easily recognize the colour.

Did you know that the striped celluloid versions also have an ink window? It is less noticeable, because of the stripes. The lower part of the barrel is translucent, and in between the stripes, when you hold the pen towards a light source, you can see the ink level too. To distinguish the ink colour is, IMO, impossible though.

My experience with Pelikans is that they are fairly dry writers, compared to, f.e., Stipulas. It varies, however, from brand to brand, and model to model. Not even the same type of pen needs to be consistent either. For example, my Waterman Edson Saphire is a fairly dry writer, my Edson LE fairly wet. The Waterman Gentleman OB is quite wet, my Pelikan M800 is a dry writer, and the M200 are average with regard to ink flow. Lamy Safaris are fairly stingy again, but the gold nibbed Lamys tend to be very wet writers.

Well, just my experience anyway.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

i think, in deciding on a nib, one needs to consider not only the dry or wet feature, but the fine or broad. You can have a broad line that is quite dry. And a fine that is quite wet.

My experience with Pels has been that the fine is more of a medium and that the flow is typically somewhere in between dry and wet. Of course, there is variation in either direction regardless of the pen brand or model. But most of my 200s have been about average flow, my 400 nibs were slightly dry, but had more generous tipping - so when I get a gold Pelikan nib, I usually go for an XF. (i don't like broad nibs in general unless they are edged.)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Everyone in my pen 'family' uses Pelikans and we ALL go for the fine. I should probably do XF because I normally like F, but Pelikans seem to be broader than most. My brother likes a M nib usually but not on Pelikans. I must say, the F nib on my M400 is my favorite of all my pens.

I agree I used my M nib for about a week, then switched to F and haven't looked back. The M is way to large for me, I'm considering getting XF now.

Thanks!! Great feedback, I wasn't quite sure how the size matches up with other brands, I normally like to have a fine nib, but on the Namiki VP I found that the medium writes like a fine would on most, so I'm glad I had your feedback as the online pictures don't truly show as it does in person and expierence with that

Thanks

WWM

Pelikan Nest

If you like a Namiki M, then a Pelikan fine is almost the same. It's about half-way between medium and fine.

I have a fine on my 800, and frankly for that size pen it is too fine. Big pens open up my hand, and allow broader nibs so I wish I had amed for it instead.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I really shouldn't come reading topics on this forum. I've been tempted and I've ordered a M200 :) I'll be interested to see what it's like because apart from one Hero pen, I'm usually writing with pens that are 40 to 50 years old.

• 1 month later...

I usually order anything from Pelikan with a "medium" nib, especially on the bigger M-600 & 800 series pens. Recently, I did some comparisons between the Snorkel I just purchased and my Stockholm. I was amazed at the fact the Snorkel, which has a fine Triumph nib, is just a little shy of the Pelikan 600 series.

Someday, I am going to have to save up and buy a M-1000 with a medium nib. Now that is one big pen to write with. :D

Edited by Mannenhitsu

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

I have an VF nib 600 in transit now. Prompted by the corruption of my old 120 which is too small old and battered, and the very wet fat line I'm getting from the Aurora VF I decided to try another Pel. My 120 has a fine nib and the output is bit stocky so VF was the only consideration.

My old MB has a medium nib and puts out the nicest line I've used yet, a fine controlled stroke with a hairline on the invert. I don't think anything will ever beat the Mont Blanc. If I ever win the lottery I'll get another one.

there are no persons worth knowing except saints, scoundrels, and quacks

J-K Huysmans

I hate to throw out more options out, but you can get those pens in a medium and send them off to Richard Binder to put a ball-point nib on it, so it will be medium on one side and fine (or XF) on the other. He could also probably adjust the flow to just the amount of wet/dry you are looking for. I mean, if your going to spend the money on an M1000 or cities series, why not spend a little more to get the nib adjusted to your exact specificiations?

Richard is a Pelikan distributor, and while he does not offer these on his website he may be able to order them, which means he would send them out right away rather than wait for the 3 months his repair work has been running.

Just a thought.

Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I just received my first Pelikan, a vintage 400 with a "KB" nib. I was informed by the seller that this is a "ball-point" nib. It looks like it's been damaged but, it actually has a bend at the tip and tipping on both sides. In normal writing position it's a medium; reversed, it's a fine.

I've only tried it by dipping, but the M side does appear fairly broad. The F side looks like any other fine I've tried.

As a newb to the word of pens, you need to take my opinion with a grain of salt, but that's what it looks like to me. Also, it doesn't appear to be that 'wet', but the paper I used it on is pretty absorbent so......

Think I'll fill this with some Waterman's Black and take it to work and see what it's like in the "real" world.

Edited by Psyktek

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little impact on society." Mark Twain

I have an athens, and a 200 transparent. the nibs are interchangable and I have 4 total for the 2 pens. 2 Fine points, a Binder ItaliFine (0.8m Italic on one side, Fine nib upsidedown), and a 0.8mm stub.

Definitely suggest you go with multiple nibs if you are looking at different uses. THat's a selling point for hte Pels. 1000/800 nibs however, are NOT interchangeable wiht 200/400/600/City.

I prefer a FINE point on Pelikans. It's alittler broader than a US/EU fine, and medium wet writer. In fact, when I have nib tweeks or custom work that is required, I always tell Richard to make it write like a "Pelikan FINE".

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

My fine M200 nib is nice (not the smoothest, but ok). My cursive italic from Binder, however, is VERY nice. When something happens and my chickenscratched lines don't look right, I know it's not the nibs fault! I plan on getting a stub sometime in the future - and perhaps another M200 or a M215.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I have loved my Pelikan extra fine nib on my 200 since 1993, but I just got a Binderized crisp italic, and am experimenting with that. The edges are much crisper/sharper than I'm used to, but the lines are lovely.

For general use, though, I'd say go with the fine.

I have loved my Pelikan extra fine nib on my 200 since 1993, but I just got a Binderized crisp italic, and am experimenting with that. The edges are much crisper/sharper than I'm used to, but the lines are lovely.

For general use, though, I'd say go with the fine.

Hi Velma,

Did you go directly to Richards Crisp Italic?

I'm taking baby steps into the world of more elegant writing. I just received a new M250 from Richard. He made the 14K B nib into his 0.8mm Stub for me. Actually I ordered the M200 in amber demonstrator but he sent the same thing in the M250, according to the box. I realize that the line variation on this will not be extensive, but I'm a slow learner and figured that "discretion is the ..." :P

After I get this puppy inked and writing, I'll likely order a Cursive Italic and later, yet, I may get real adventurous and go for a Crisp Italic. In the far far future, I may lose my head, entirely, and pop for the ItaliFlex or whatever he calls it! :o

It is at that point that my wife will make my reservation for the padded cell accommodation! :rolleyes:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List