Best Lupe / Loupe Magnification For Nibs?

Eclectica

Hi,

I have been using a field monocular backwards to discern nib problems, but although it gives masses of magnification the distortion is dire!

This makes the decision of whether or not the tines are aligned very difficult - one minute they are, the next they aren't!

I have been looking to get a good lupe/loupe/magnifier without distortion and have been looking at these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/42775604.jpg a low distortion 35mm aspheric x8

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/644646.xml

or...

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/42775598.jpga low distortion x10

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/624349.xml

Any help in deciding which would be best would be much appreciated by those using this kind of thing all the time!! :)

Thanks. :)

Eclectica.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• N2theBreach

• Blue_Moon

• Eclectica

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine are no name 10x loupes and I'd say that is about the right magnification. The one I got with a light really helps me to see nib tines.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I use an 8x loupe, and there are times when I wish I had more magnification. I have a 15x on order.

So I would say between 10-20x, depending on your eyes. My eyes are middle-age, so I NEED the extra magnification for some of this stuff.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Depends on the type of use.

For just inspecting a lower magnification is ok.

For real precisionwork a bit higher.

I have ordered one of these type with the small light (your second pic) but I find it awkward.

I am wearing glasses and I very much like a clip on system. So I can use both hands and just clip the thing to my glasses. For those without glasses one can buy them with a headband, even in stereo. Very handy. (but lumpy to take with you)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

If you are working on pens, you might wish to use the visor type the pro's use.

Otherwise, if you are looking primarily for a distortion free lens, look for what's newest in distortion free LED models. I really like my ILa 10X handheld, it's truly distortion free, rendering accurate color too. Mine is about 8 years old, so there may be more advanced models/manufacturers now. Shops that specialize in low/adaptive vision might be a start.

FYI..Brian Goulet has started carrying a loupe with their brand on it--15X, two LEDs, $12.50. He said he looked at a lot of them and settled on this one because of it's price/quality balance. I was looking at a loupe, but I'll probably get one, because I'll just be using it for simple nib alignments, and Brian's judgment has been reliable. If at some point I feel like a need a better loupe, I won't have lost much.

Here's the link:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Loupe_p/gpc-loupe.htm

Personally I use a 20x loupe for tine alignment, I will however be getting a 40x or even a 60x loupe.
Now you are probaly wondering why so high? Sure a 20x loupe is great for aligning tines and looking at feed channels, but if you are like me and want to understand what is wrong with a scratchy pen indefinably, a 20x loupe will not be able to see with enough detail what is wrong with it (flat spots, etc)

I just got my Goulet loupe today.

Nice, but a disappointment.

It is "supposed to be" a 15x loupe.

But the apparent image size seems to be little to no different than with my 8x Peak loupe.

With my middle-age eyes I was really hoping for a significant jump in the image size, as there are times where I cannot see quite enough detail with the 8x loupe.

www.SFPenShow.com

I use a 16X jewelers loupe that clips onto the frame of my glasses in front of my dominant eye. It gives me the degree of magnification needed to when working on nibs. Use with both eyes open - you really will see just the object in front of the loupe. Some pen mechanics like to use the Optovisor hood type. I can't. They give me a headache and make me dizzy.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I use the loupe that Richard Binder sells and it is VERY good. 10X magnification and he sells a lanyard to hook it on if that is something you want. Price is good and the quality is as I said VERY good. In fact, I have three of these. One for each of our work benches and one that we carry with us no every where we go.

Belomo loupes - x10 and x20 - they have outstanding optical clarity and are of excellent all metal construction. Can be obtained direct from Belarus on the bay (no affiliation) - I've bought easily and at about half the price of uk online sellers. Here's an item number for a x20 - 180896514136 - Read up on them - they are great loupes.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Belomo loupes - x10 and x20 - they have outstanding optical clarity and are of excellent all metal construction. Can be obtained direct from Belarus on the bay (no affiliation) - I've bought easily and at about half the price of uk online sellers. Here's an item number for a x20 - 180896514136 - Read up on them - they are great loupes.

1. I must have been tired when I wrote my post above. I intended to say that I was considering a Belomo, but may get the Goulet loupe instead. Ive heard good things about Belomos.

2. I have a favor to ask. Could posters who have a loupe they really like please tell us the brand, or model, or some way to identify it, when you post? Several people have mentioned the style of the loupe, but have not given enough info for someone to buy one just like it. The quality of optics can really run the gamut and it helps to know exactly which one works really well for someone else. In addition to reminding me about the Belomo, Marlow's post is really helpful if a person wants to find one.

Thanks- N2

My 8x is a PEAK photo loupe

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40713-REG/Peak_1302018_8x_Loupe.html

But I did not pay $50 for it. I got mine at a camera show for $10.

But as can be seen from the pix, no light.

The Goulet loupe has a light which make it a lot easier to use than my Peak loupe. I don't always have a good light source handy, which is why I got the Goulet loupe. However, comparing the Goulet loupe to my Peak loupe, they both appear to magnify about the same. I did communicate this to Brian, and it may be a situation where his supplier told him 15x, and that is what he lists it at.

I will be looking for a 15-20x loupe for more detailed work. My middle-age eyes needs all the help it can get.

I read recommendations for this 22x loupe

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40690-REG/Peak_1301964_22x_Loupe.html

I have the Peak 8x, so I know the quality is good.

But again, no light, as it is designed for looking at film on a light table.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

Hello to All,

+1 on the Belomo loupes; I use the 10x and 15x, with complete satisfaction. I got them to examine the edges of my straight razors, but found that were just right for nib use :)

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations of where to buy - ideal. :)

So the upshot is that x8 is not enough and somewhere from 10-20x is good depending on what is being observed.

You know what - now I think I need 2 loupes :blush: - is everything associated with fountain pens prone to this kind of multiplying effect?! :o

Marlow - and Russ - these look a good bet especially if they are distortion free.

Some pen mechanics like to use the Optovisor hood type. I can't. They give me a headache and make me dizzy.

I have a similar low power x3-5 device which I use for soldering to check the connections etc and I know what you mean about dizzy! :wacko:

Mine are no name 10x loupes and I'd say that is about the right magnification. The one I got with a light really helps me to see nib tines.

I really like my ILa 10X handheld, it's truly distortion free, rendering accurate color too.

I like the idea of illuminated hand held types - much better than moving the lamp all the time and trying to get it in the right place.

hmmm...

Ok - time to take a last look around and decide on something!

Thanks again. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

I've bought this one on e-bay... Seller ship it yesterday from HK

http://www.ebay.it/itm/10x-Ingrandimento-Gioielliere-Triplet-Lens-Loupe-con-6-Built-in-LED-21-mm-/231050586806?pt=Accessori_e_Ricambi&hash=item35cbb02ab6

I will test at arrive and let know my impressions...

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

I have a 10X and 15X Belomo - both bought on Amazon - and I have been extremely happy with both. The 10X gets 85% of the use, and I could survive without the 15X if I had to. 20X or higher seems like overkill to me. I notice that Belomo makes an 8X as well, but I can't justify that either...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg