Recommendation Needed For Hands-Free Magnification

redbike

At age 59, my long range vision is holding up well, but my near range vision is quite bad. I use a Belomo 10x loupe for examining pens closely, but need something that frees both hands. I own a cheap optivisor, which I can’t use for pen work, since the plastic lenses are scratched and not clear. I want to get something better, either a better optivisor or a desktop portable magnifier, and would appreciate recommendations costing less than $100 USD. Please send me a private message if you have a recommendation you’d rather not post publicly.

Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Vintagepens

• tmenyc

• redbike

Top Posters In This Topic

It also depends on how much magnification you need.

I use an Optivisor also. And yeah the plastic lens needs care or they will get scratched. And mine works better with the low to middle power lenses in place, the high power lens is too difficult to use.

I also use one of those circular lamps with a magnifier in the middle. They are not high magnification, but the light is sometimes a lot of help when working up close.

This is similar to what I have, but mine was about $50

http://www.officesupplyinc.com/magnifier-lamp-fluorescent-tube-black-p-15285.html?utm_campaign=bing&utm_medium=product_search&utm_source=bing

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I started the topic below sometime ago. A lot of interesting ideas were put forward. I like the Optivsor for initial inspection then on to an illuminated loupe for a closer image.

Would really like to try a stereo microscope, engineers type, with illuminated base

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/220121-nib-viewing-whats-your-tool/

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

How about the Optivisor that has glass lenses, I have 5, 7 &10 lenses and that covers all my needs, I have had it a few years now and the lenses are still as good as new. Expensive ish but well worth it.

Paul

While many seem to be using "optivisor" as a generic term for binocular magnifiers, it's actually a specific brand, and real Optivisors do use (interchangeable) glass lenses. Good value, too, at around $40 (if you shop around and take advantage of discounts -- Blick, for example, gives out 40% off coupons like candy).

redbike

I wish I had your long range vision.

I have to wear tri-focal glasses :wacko:

And I'm about your age.

Yes mine is a generic version of the Optivisor.

I might take a look at the genuine stuff, as I generally prefer glass lens for scratch resistance.

BTW if you think working on pens w/o magnification is hard, working on N-scale model trains is just as bad and maybe worse, but with the added "problem" of springs that like to jump to the hardest place to find them. Definitely not good for those of us with poor near vision. I'm glad I did not choose the even smaller Z-scale trains.

www.SFPenShow.com

I have a couple of real Optivisors and a few cheapie versions floating around my workshop. The real ones are the ones I always end up reaching for.

Incidentally, I also have some very expensive and super high quality surgeon's binocular magnifiers, but I never seem to use them as they are heavy and awkward to put on and take off repeatedly. Might well use them more if I were sitting down to do a lot of nib adjustment all at once, perhaps.

• 2 years later...

I recently picked up a (used) stereo microscope, and it is AWSOME.

Much better for detailed magnification inspection than using a handheld loupe, as long as you are at your workbench. Unlike a loupe, you can't stick the microscope in your pocket.

It has GREAT optical quality, easy to look through, magnification from 7 to 30x, decent working distance (so I can work on the item while looking through the microscope).

I think I will also be looking for an Optivisor, to replace my cheap copy.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 weeks later...

Working on N-scale model trains is just as bad and maybe worse, but with the added "problem" of springs that like to jump to the hardest place to find them.

AC, so you're a modeler too! My optivisor is essential for 1/24 scale car detailing, too... Painting a radio knob on a dashboard without touching the knob next to it is impossible without light and magnification.

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

AC, so you're a modeler too! My optivisor is essential for 1/24 scale car detailing, too... Painting a radio knob on a dashboard without touching the knob next to it is impossible without light and magnification.

Tim

But I'm not into 'super detailing' like what you describe. Way too difficult for me. I'll take the dashboard decal.

I'm satisfied with arms length detailing. If I can't see it at arms length, it does not need to be detailed. How's that for an 'out.' :)

www.SFPenShow.com

But I'm not into 'super detailing' like what you describe. Way too difficult for me. I'll take the dashboard decal.

I'm satisfied with arms length detailing. If I can't see it at arms length, it does not need to be detailed. How's that for an 'out.' :)

Not an 'out' at all...a choice! I like people to look at the model and wonder what's underneath the driver's seat...and for me it's a huge challenge, every time.

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

At Donegan Optical, the replacement plastic lenses are cheap enough to replace frequently if needed. I've never had to do it myself, perhaps, because I carefully place the whole headset in its original box when I'm not using it. Not scratched, not foggy.

Also, for really close work, they have a swivel attachment to put on either side (I'm left eyed), with several magnifications available, also at a very reasonable price, so you might even want two or three.

I bought mine originally for doing hand coloring of B&W photos. Very useful for examining nib tines and nib/feed spacing.

So which lens does everyone recommend for the Optivisor? It looks like a great tool to have, but I would appreciate further guidance as to the most common lens to use for most pen restoration work. Maybe adding the extra single eye loupe to swivel in and out for an extra boost for nibs, etc.

Thanks in advance!

So which lens does everyone recommend for the Optivisor? It looks like a great tool to have, but I would appreciate further guidance as to the most common lens to use for most pen restoration work. Maybe adding the extra single eye loupe to swivel in and out for an extra boost for nibs, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I have a magnifying visor with a 2nd flip down lens. It is 1.8x with the standards lens and 2.3x with the flip down. And that covers most of my use with the magnifying visor. It has a 3rd swing in lens, that I hardly use. If I need magnification beyond the 2.3x, I pull out the 8x or 10x loupe. Granted the loupe is not hands free. If you are going to do nib work, you need to get up to about 10x, either hands free or a loupe.

www.SFPenShow.com