Pelikan 400Nn - Advice Needed

Mike_in_HK

Hey there, FPN Pelikan experts. I need some advice, please.

I have just purchased a used Pelikan 400NN with an EF 14K 585 solid gold semi flex nib, manufactured in 1958-59. Piston filler, celluloid tortoise green stripe, gold plated metal parts, ebonite hard rubber elongated feeder, fitted with original ebonite feeder ring. It is described as being in 'absolutely mint, originally preserved condition and not restored'. I have not received the pen yet.

My questions are as follows:

Are there any well known weak points in this pen which might need attention?

Would you recommend that I have the pen serviced / restored?

I am no expert in Pelikans and have no idea about the history of the pen or when it was last used. 55 years is quite a long time - I suspect that certain components may have weakened to the point of failure.

Any advice you can offer will be received most gratefully. Many thanks.

Mike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike_in_HK

• langere

• pmn

• Azura

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Congrats on the new incoming pen.

I wouldn't call myself an expert but here are my "two cents",

Usually a good pen (proper nib, no cracks, etc) will just need soaking and flushing to remove dried old ink inside.

If that's not the case, i.e., if the pen has been properly cleanned before storing, you are good to go.

You should however check that the piston seal is still good.

For that, you try filling it with water and see how it goes.

Those seals usually hold well and, in most cases, replacement is not needed.

If a seal replacment is needed, bear in mind that the job is a bit tricky and not the best for the beginner to start with.

Cheers.

If I am not mistaken, the plug on the Pelikan is made of cork or other such perishable material. If it hasn't been replaced, it probably should after so many decades. But I understand that that is relatively easy/inexpensive.

I'm sure that folks with greater expertise will chime in.

However, if it works, just use it!

Erick

Edited by langere

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

If I am not mistaken, the plug on the Pelikan is made of cork or other such perishable material. If it hasn't been replaced, it probably should after so many decades. But I understand that that is relatively easy/inexpensive.

I'm sure that folks with greater expertise will chime in.

However, if it works, just use it!

Erick

No need to worry, Cork seals were long gone by the time of the 400nn. From the OP's description the pen should be ready to go.

Mark

Be careful when trying to screw out the nib. You'll want to avoid breaking the vertical tines on the feed, or the hard rubber collar on the nib unit. If you face resistance -- try soaking the nib + section in water for a bit, then use a little dry heat on the section before unscrewing.

Early 400NN nib units had a clear plastic collar that tends to crack. Only solution is to replace the collar.

Some 400NN's had friction-fit nib units and not screw-in ones. Uncommon.

Good luck and happy writing! :)

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

Careful screwing out the nib. Many of those old 400NN had a clear plastic collar holding the nib to the feed that can be easily cracked or broken. I've done it twice now. Enjoy your pen, they really are fantastic. I wish I had discovered them first!

Ooops, looks like Readymade beat me to it.

Edited by Bemo

My sincere thanks to you all for your constructive comments. Very much appreciated.

Now..........I just need to get my hands on the pen and start experimenting!

All the best,

Mike