Lamy Safari Cleaning

VatVVolf

Hello, I got my first "real" fountain pen recently and I was wondering about cleaning it. Currently all I have is cartridges and all the videos cleaning it I've seen revolve around using the converter to push and pull water. Is there any way to clean it without a converter? I ordered a converter and noodler's black today so if there is no way I can just wait, but it'd be nice to be able to clean it now. I was also wondering about changing the cartridge, do I need to wait until it's completely empty turn it upside down and change it? What are the steps to changing them?

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum so if it isn't I'd appreciate someone moving this or directing me to it. :)

-Wolf

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VatVVolf

• Brian C

• wastelanded

• Cerbervs

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are putting another cartridge in with the same ink as the old one, no cleaning needed. You should, however, invest in one of these:http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Bulb_Syringe_2oz_p/gpc-bulbsyringe.htm you can order them from Goulets or get them at Walmart. Even when you get the converter this will flush the feed much faster.

If you can get an ear syringe, one with the longest snout you can find, then you can force water through to clean it. Or stick a piece of masking tape to the top of the nib and pull it off. Rinse and dry the end of the feed, wrap tape around and pull it out. The first couple of times it's hard to get out, but gets easier. Then you can rinse the feed and the inside of the section.

The trick is putting the feed in right: there is a slot inside the section so the feed only goes in one way. Try to force it in the wrong way and you can bugger it up. When putting the feed back, hold the section in your hand like you're going to write. In the other hand, hold the feed top up. Now you've got them aligned. Gently insert the feed into the section, make sure it's in the groove so to speak. When it is, push until the feed clicks into place. Then slide the nib back on and you have a really clean Safari.

Easy peasy. ;)

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Well I'd like to do it with something around the house, while I wait for the converter... I have a bit of time so the time involved in flushing wont matter to me. Also, do I need to clean inbetween lamy blue and lamy black? I got black cartridges but used to blue one that came with it.

Does anyone know the cartridge changing procedure? anything special or how do I go about doing it?

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Edited by VatVVolf

-Wolf

Between cartridges of same brand just needs a good rinse. Light to dark ink shouldn't take long for the darker to 'take over'....

Just pull out the old cart and 'plug in' the new one!

The ear bulb, available from grocery/pharmacy, is a must-have for rinsing out nibs and feeds.

I personally just pour water down the feed of my Safari, after taking the converter/cartridge out. Keep it in the water stream of your sink for a couple of seconds, nib downwards, then give it a couple of shakes at random intervals. That's the 'easy' way, but it only works with my Safari so far (and maybe my Parker 45, but to a lesser degree).

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

The ear bulb, available from grocery/pharmacy, is a must-have for rinsing out nibs and feeds.

I think I've seen them before I just don't know what to look for size wise... is there a specific size I need to be looking for?

I'll try to pick one up next time I go to the store. :)

-Wolf

I personally just pour water down the feed of my Safari, after taking the converter/cartridge out. Keep it in the water stream of your sink for a couple of seconds, nib downwards, then give it a couple of shakes at random intervals. That's the 'easy' way, but it only works with my Safari so far (and maybe my Parker 45, but to a lesser degree).

That's my method, too. Even now that I have converters on all Lamy Safaris, I prefer this since it's much easier.

You should do this every now and again, even if you're using the same ink. Gunk does build up in the guts of the pen, and it's easier to flush it before it clogs up.

Keep it under a gentle flow from the tap (cold or warm, not hot) until the water coming out is clear, then let it dry overnight, fit a new cartridge and enjoy the experience :)

Edited by PDW

Under normal use conditions, a partial cartridge won't leak. Credit air pressure and surface tension.

I don't it all the time. However, know that the seal will degrade at a dozen removal and insertions.

Give it a flush with clean water, if changing ink color, or if neglected for weeks, or every six months.

Here is a quick 60-second flush.

fpn_1357109297__earbulbs.jpg

Trim the tip a little at a time, until it fits snuggly over the pen section. Dry thoroughly before re-inking.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

A trick I picked up from SBRE Brown. Sacrifice one of the empty cartridges by cutting a small piece off the back. Insert the "cleaning cartridge" into the pen and then the bulb syringe into the "cleaning cartridge". It makes for a better seal on a lot of pens than just sticking the syringe into the back of the section.