Who Else Thinks That A Mechanical Pencil Is The Next-Best Thing To A Fountain Pen?

lurcho

Or one develops calluses.

I hope not. At least I don't have any, yet. :D

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• 1nkulus

• truthpil

• milkb0at

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha, I've just ordered one (brushed steel too) from Amazon UK. I've wanted to try one for a while but they're £35 on Cult Pens. Much cheaper on Amazon - into instant purchase territory. I would have liked to try the brown, but I can cope with the steel.

My Zoom 505 sh arrived after a month's journey from Japan. It's a nice-looking and mostly nice-feeling pencil. It's bigger than I thought it might be which isn't a problem and it means that I don't have to post the cap (unlike the Kerry). It's great for writing (especially in the 0.9mm I got) but not good for drawing due to the uncomfortably sharp transition between section and body. The plastic inner cap looks and feels a bit cheap and the lead advance is huge in comparison to high-end draughting pencils, but I can live with both.

I thought I might have to decide between the Kerry and the 505, since they're both capped pencils, but in reality they are very different beasts. I'll still use the Kerry as my pocket pencil, plus it's good for both writing and drawing, but the 505 will be better for longer writing sessions.

Glad to see you got your Tombow Zoom 505, milkb0at. I do hear you about the body transition--there is a notable edge you can feel between section and body. My fingers are narrow enough where my grip doesn't touch it while writing, so it doesn't bother me. But I can see if someone has a lower kind of grip, it might be more commonly encountered. I do find the quality of the rubber to be very good. The lead advance is a bit generous, but the lead guide is sufficient enough that I find I don't suffer lead breakage. While made of a resilient brushed steel, I do feel a little paranoid about scuffing. While the cap liner helps mitigate body rubbing when posting, it's not 100%--if you pull off the cap on an angle, you can cause scraping against the body (and in time this will show marks). To remove the posted cap, I grip the body and cap so they remain centered and gently push the cap up to dislodge.

It's a pencil that isn't in my regular rotation but I enjoy owning it. Very handsome design. :)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

It seems my Zoom 505 sh 0.9 order has gone AWOL. I'll request a refund if it does not turn up this week. :(

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I don't think I'll ever really need to post the cap on the Zoom so I'm not worried about scuffing. That means the nice design will stay nice. It's a good looking pencil - better than in the pictures. We'll see how I feel about the pencil over time.

1nkulus, mine really did take a month to arrive (a couple of days over Amazon's estimated delivery range). There's no box, so the package fits through the letterbox so hopefully you'll see it one day soon on your doormat.

I don't think I'll ever really need to post the cap on the Zoom so I'm not worried about scuffing. That means the nice design will stay nice. It's a good looking pencil - better than in the pictures. We'll see how I feel about the pencil over time.

1nkulus, mine really did take a month to arrive (a couple of days over Amazon's estimated delivery range). There's no box, so the package fits through the letterbox so hopefully you'll see it one day soon on your doormat.

I won't be posting it either.

Mine has crossed into the fifth week, usually I get it in three. Hopefully, this week or not. :unsure:

Which seller did you choose?

Engineer :

Which seller did you choose?

Arc Trade Media_Japan, apparently.

I saw on another thread (or forum?) that Japan Post has been struggling with a massive backlog after a typhoon. I've no idea if it's true, but it might give you comfort.

Tombow Zoom Lengths:

Capped: 13.3cm

Uncapped: 12cm

Posted: 14.5cm

Pentel Kerry Lengths:

Capped: 12.4cm

Uncapped: 10.5cm

Posted: 13.1cm

12cm is a decent size and so going without posting is certainly easy to do with the Zoom. Kerry feels too small uncapped.

Some of you may be aware of the ACME pen company, which produces fountain pens, ball points, roller balls, and pencils. They tend to standardize on just a few basic physical designs and then apply all kinds of different patterns in tribute to various artists and designers. They've got about a dozen different ballpoints for Frank Lloyd Wright, the legendary architect. To some minor fanfare, they produced a couple of pencils as well. One is a multi-pen and the other a lead holder.

Both pencils depart rather radically from your typical ACME writing instruments. These ones incorporate etchings into metal modeled after design patterns that were created by Wright. As far as writing instruments go, the multi-pen is OK, not all that exceptional (ballpoint and 0.5mm pencil). The 2mm lead holder is quite nice, although there's no inner retainer so the lead will freely slide out when the clutch is released (unlike some that are ratcheted, like on the rOtring 800 2mm).

ACME-Frank-Lloyd-Wright-Pencils-01s.jpg
ACME-Frank-Lloyd-Wright-Pencils-02s.jpg
ACME-Frank-Lloyd-Wright-Pencils-03s.jpg

Arc Trade Media_Japan, apparently.

I saw on another thread (or forum?) that Japan Post has been struggling with a massive backlog after a typhoon. I've no idea if it's true, but it might give you comfort.

Thank you, will try them next time. Hopefully, the delay is due to the backlog.

Engineer :

After all the debates over in the "main" area about whether to post a fountain pen, it's quite interesting to see the discussion spill over into the pencil area.

As I always post fountain pens that can be posted, I expect I'd do the same with a capped pencil. I treat all my writing instruments gently, but don't obsess about a little incidental scuffing, and posting a cap is simply the most natural way to keep track of it, much preferable to holding it in one's other hand or putting it down on the desk. But I guess if you did lose the cap, then the graphite wouldn't dry out. ;)

But I appreciate the mentions of the Kerry and the Zoom, which I had not heard of before this thread.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I just mostly don't post my fountain pens either, just a preference / balance thing rather than any desire to prevent scratches. I do post when needed e.g. pocket pens and pencils, so I post my Kerry and Platinum Pocket fountain pen.

The Zoom is a decent size without posting so I don't find it necessary. The lead advance does work better when capped, but the cap edge is quite sharp and is uncomfortable on the webbing of my hand, so I don't post.

I suppose there are so few capped pencils that the post / don't post debate is pretty insignificant. You're right, though—it's interesting to see it raise its head here too.

Post/don't post is a never ending debate and a personal preference.

I don't post and hence prefer heavier pens. The heavier preference extends to pencils too, e.g. Rotring 600.

I suppose there are so few capped pencils that the post / don't post debate is pretty insignificant. You're right, though—it's interesting to see it raise its head here too.

+1

Engineer :

I'm very interested in the ACME 2mm lead holder. How is it to use?

It's great -- very solid. I like the fact that the balance point is a little forward of center. Overall, it's simple lead holder. Despite the aesthetics, I prefer the rOtring 800 in 2mm. That one is actually a mechanical pencil, as it has feed mechanism behind the clutch.

Sometimes a mechanical pencil can even appear like a work of art. Take for instance this vintage NEWMAN steel mechanical pencil with etched pattern. Unlike your typical steel pencils with etched straight lines, this one features a zig-zag jagged line. But rather than the line being etched, the material around it is etched, allowing the lines to be raised. Really stunning presentation.

NEWMAN-MP-Steel-Zig-Zag-01b.jpg

NEWMAN-MP-Steel-Zig-Zag-02b.jpg

It even features a sliding lead pipe guide.

NEWMAN-MP-Steel-Zig-Zag-03.jpg

Lovely and unique pencil, simple but striking.

Great acquisition. :thumbup:

Was it available only in a 0.5 and how old is it?

Engineer :

Lovely and unique pencil, simple but striking.

Great acquisition. :thumbup:

Was it available only in a 0.5 and how old is it?

Thanks. :) As far as I know, it came only in 0.5 mm size. It's from the early 1990's, sold only in Japan.

Thanks. :) As far as I know, it came only in 0.5 mm size. It's from the early 1990's, sold only in Japan.

:thumbup:

I had a feeling it might be JDM only. Do you have any other quirky pencils?

Engineer :