Who Else Thinks That A Mechanical Pencil Is The Next-Best Thing To A Fountain Pen?

lurcho

Update on the Graphlet. We get along famously, I can see me getting more from the series.

:thumbup: Have a look at my recommendations and try them, if possible.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• 1nkulus

• truthpil

• milkb0at

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do most of my writing with fountain pens, but have always liked mechanical pencils. And they are my go to writing instrument for the kind of note taking where you sit for five minutes before there's suddenly something worth writing down. Yes, I have a Pilot Capless Decimo, and have fountain pens with slip caps, but a pencil is easier.

My favorites have fairly thick leads, I like vintage pencils that take the old 0.046 inch size (about 1.17 mm). Modern pencils with 0.9 mm leads are also good. I do have some mechanical pencils at .7, .5, and even one .3 mm, but generally prefer a well sharpened wood pencil if I need a fine line.

With my vintage leads, I'm not always sure what grade I'm using, although most leave a pretty dark line. For my .9 mm pencils it's generally a 2B.

Here are some of my favorites, vintage, vintage-y, and modern.

42846674650_afd4a6258b_b.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Here's my question. Which came first, the Tikky or the Papermate Precision? Who makes them?

I've been going vintage lately. My latest find is an Eversharp Square 4, or 4 Square, or Red Dot, or whatever it is (it's from, I believe, 1936).

I must get some photos up, I just have so little time. 1nkulus, I will look into your recommendations as I really enjoy the graphlet. It's a very nice pencil!

Edited by Zookie

1nkulus, I will look into your recommendations as I really enjoy the graphlet. It's a very nice pencil!

Let us know, if you go ahead with my recommendations. Glad you are enjoying the Graphlet PG500. :thumbup:

Also, consider the Pentel Kerry.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

^ I also recommend the Pentel Kerry, for an ideal portable pencil. Being capped makes it pocket safe and protects the tip. Posted it's a tiny bit smaller than your typical pencil, coming in at about 13cm. But it's lightweight and feels good in hand. Plus there's a very wide range of colors available to suit your preferences. The Kerry has been made for quite some time, originally known as the "5".

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Being capped makes it pocket safe and protects the tip. Posted it's a tiny bit smaller than your typical pencil, coming in at about 13cm. But it's lightweight and feels good in hand. Plus there's a very wide range of colors available to suit your preferences. The Kerry has been made for quite some time, originally known as the "5".

+1

Nice retro feel and being capped makes it unique. I am unaware of anything similar.

IMO, a must have along with the Rotring 600 (both weigh 22g and are available in 0.5, 0.7mm).

Engineer :

Nice retro feel and being capped makes it unique. I am unaware of anything similar.

As well as a Kerry, I also have an Ohto Tasche capped mechanical pencil, which is surprisingly nice. I prefer the Kerry, and I think most people would, but the Tasche is pretty nice if you like thinner pencils. Convenient as a notebook pencil.

There's also the Tombow Zoom 505 which I'd like to try one day. Similar in style to the Kerry, but with a rubberised grip.

As well as a Kerry, I also have an Ohto Tasche capped mechanical pencil, which is surprisingly nice. I prefer the Kerry, and I think most people would, but the Tasche is pretty nice if you like thinner pencils. Convenient as a notebook pencil.

There's also the Tombow Zoom 505 which I'd like to try one day. Similar in style to the Kerry, but with a rubberised grip.

I was aware of the Ohto but never procured it because of the slim factor but, as you said, it would make a great notebook pencil.

I had completely forgotten about the Tombow :thumbup: and remember liking it more than the Kerry. :o

The fact it looks like a RB/FP had me hooked, not to mention the metal construction and heft.

Will procure it shortly before I forget, again.

Engineer :

I have the Tombow Zoom 505sh.

Tombow-_Vintage-_Zoom-505sh.jpg

This one has a full brushed stainless steel body, but you can get them with different color coatings. It's a bigger and heavier pencil than the Kerry. The mechanism is excellent. And the rubberized grip is superior to the Kerry, that has just hard plastic. You can still find these pretty cheaply on eBay. Btw, mine is a vintage version (it lacks the Tombow dragonfly logo, and it has the notched clip), but the newer one is supposed to be mechanically the same.

Edited by MYU

Nice, and vintage too. :drool:

Is the color champagne gold or silver? Tombow refer to the gold color as silver. :gaah:

Have you noticed deterioration on the rubberized grip?

JetPens has it for $20. I shall procure the 0.5 and 0.9mm

Engineer :

Nice, and vintage too. :drool:

Is the color champagne gold or silver? Tombow refer to the gold color as silver. :gaah:

Have you noticed deterioration on the rubberized grip?

JetPens has it for $20. I shall procure the 0.5 and 0.9mm

It's silver that's very slightly dark, instead of bright. I wouldn't call it gold. No deterioration on the grip. They seem to have used top notch materials. Check eBay first... you may be able to find one available to the UK for cheaper than JetPens. On Amazon USA the Tombow Zoom 505 in brushed steel can sometimes be had as cheaply as $15.

Ha, I've just ordered one (brushed steel too) from Amazon UK. I've wanted to try one for a while but they're £35 on Cult Pens. Much cheaper on Amazon - into instant purchase territory. I would have liked to try the brown, but I can cope with the steel.

This is an interesting question.

I began with FP when I was around 10 years old. A plastic, cheap one, for school. I chewed it by stress, but I love all the cartridges change stuff. Back then, I was using wood (chewed) pencils.

A couple of years later, my mother gave me a clutch aluminum MP. Could not chew that one, and began to have a couple of them, taken here and there. One was made of plastic and not as loved as the aluminum ones.

I had a Waterman FP, in a kind of aluminum as well.

Then, in 1983, I bought my first 0.5mm plastic MP, on my own money.

In that time I had 2-3 Waterman FP for school, one for blue (or any mix I could put in it - even my own tries: blue & black (or black and red) and lavender perfume! :rolleyes: ), one for black, one for red.

Then... technical drawings school years. FPs and 0.3 (3H), 0.5 (HB) and 0.7 (B) MP. Staedler I guess. I never saw them as nice objects, or attractive objects, just tools. School tools.

I was more interested in with my Waterman FP, old, scratched, but still faithful. Probably because in that time (1984) I was already the only one using FPs at school.

Then... working years. Had to use ugly cheap plastic mass products. Sometimes I could put my hand on a nice MP (I still have a Q1000 0.5 Pentel), 3H, that I'm using when I'm doodling... but no FPs for work.

I lost my Watermans in movings, same with these clutch MPs. The Staedlers are somewhere, find them a couple of month ago and... nothing happened. I'm not using them. No emotional connexion.

I now have some FPs, and I bring them to work, in rotation. A way to escape from this reality and this horrible machine when I use them, refill them. Same with my Rotring 600, 0.5 HB and Rotring 800 0.7 3H.

I think these objects - FPs and MPs are - might sound strange - a symbol of another time, when life might not be easier, but at least less complicated and fast. Something made to last. (I have a hard time when I have to sharpen a wood pencil... even if the smell of cedar is wonderful :unsure: ).

I almost see these FPs and MPs as weapons against what we became.

So is a MP the best thing next to a FP? Definitely yes! (Along with a double edge razor and a brush. But this is another story... :D )

Ha, I've just ordered one (brushed steel too) from Amazon UK. I've wanted to try one for a while but they're £35 on Cult Pens. Much cheaper on Amazon - into instant purchase territory. I would have liked to try the brown, but I can cope with the steel.

I take it you went with one of the Japanese sellers?

Engineer :

So is a MP the best thing next to a FP? Definitely yes! (Along with a double edge razor and a brush. But this is another story... :D )

+1

Rotring 600 is my favorite and I am rarely without one, the 800 I find overpriced for what it is.

Engineer :

Yes, so it'll take a while to get here.

About 3 weeks, not bad for under £12.

Most Japanese items are about half price bought via Amazon compared to Cult Pens.

Engineer :

I’m pretty sure a Uni-Style Fit Meister 5-refill, and a 3-refill plastic black with polka dots is coming my way (birthday). Now, I think if I get one or two Autopoints, that will be more than enough mechanical pencils for me.

Posted Image

I think it's a wise choice, milkb0at! I hope you enjoy the pencil, and please post your thoughts once you've gotten it. :)