Who Else Thinks That A Mechanical Pencil Is The Next-Best Thing To A Fountain Pen?

lurcho

Ha, I see where you're coming from. I've always hated the little erasers in pencils and I agree that twist erasers are great. I can't think of any pencil which will do everything you'd like, but it would be great if someone did.

- You can get the knurled grip and twist eraser with a Tombow Mono Graph Zero pencil, but it misses most other things off your list.

- You can get some lead protection (cushioned) and twist eraser with the Faber-Castell TK-Fine Vario L, but it has a useless, slippery grip and is otherwise very disappointing

- You could buy a Tombow Mono Zero / Pentel Click Erase separate eraser to sit in your carry pouch next to your Rotring or a fancier Kuru Toga

- The Zebra Delguard ER has the lead protection and a fancy eraser (not twist, but clever) but otherwise seems like a cheap, non-knurled pencil

- You could buy a pack of Blackwing pencils and a point protector and have a nice lead and proper eraser

Personally I really like the separate Tombow Mono Zero eraser with whatever pencil I decide to have with me. But it would be nice if someone threw the kitchen sink at a proper high-end mechanical pencil.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• 1nkulus

• truthpil

• milkb0at

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is the chassis of the tombow plastic or metal? I think I'm just done with plastic pencils.

Tried the faber castell. I hated it.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I will always reach for a pencil in place of a ballpoint when possible (if I have to use a ballpoint, a fischer AG-7 space pen will never be unwelcome in my hand) but I find all pencils to have some kind of massive flaw that just irritates me to no end.

Firstly, the twist eraser. This is hands down the best invention in the past 30 years of writing. Why this mechanism is exclusively tied to the cheapest pencil around is both maddening and saddening.

Second, weight and quality juxtaposed with good tech. I love the kuru toga advance rotation system with the pipe sleeve. it makes 4B 0.5 lead actually usable. But all of those pencils feel horribly cheap in the hand and have the wimpy little vestigial eraser. Same for the zebra delguard and its freaking magical unbreakable lead system. But again, cheap, plastic feel and worthless eraser.

On balance, the pencil that sits in my pouch every day is still the rotring 600 0.5. It's got no fancy mechanisms and I hate its worthless little eraser, but it feels so utterly spectacular in my hand with the forward weight reducing writing pressure required, that sandpaper like grip, and just feels like a quality instrument. The clip sucks though, it's worthlessly tight.

Here's a perfect pencil: rotring 800 (I have a 600 because it was cheeeeeeeeeap) with the uni kuru toga rotation assembly and retractable sleeve, and a thin but 20-25mm long twist-out eraser. Charge $85 and I'd buy it yesterday.

I prefer a pencil because you can actually write in cursive with it at a comfortable angle. Ballpoints and rollerballs REALLY hate writing at a 45 degree angle.

I agree. I've only seen one all metal mechanical pencil with a twist eraser and it was made by Tombow. It's more complicated to have such a mechanism inside a mechanical pencil without extending the barrel length too much, or making the lead reservoir limited in space. I wouldn't mind some added length to the barrel, as I've experienced the longer twist eraser models by Pentel and they're very usable. The QE505 is a terrific pencil.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

A curious retractable tip mechanical pencil made by Platinum, simply called the "Z".
HJW2bTr.jpg

WvLKV6C.jpg

It has a similar clip mechanism to the Lamy Dialog 2, where the tip extension causes the clip to retract so you don't feel it while writing.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Rotring 600 0.5/0.7mm paired with Pelikan M1000. Both in black.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_101026320_zpswkjklusn.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_115454594_zpsroxrklkn.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_115439248_zpscji5rb3s.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_115445018_zps4y61opuc.jpg

Here are some hard to find Parker Model MP-10 Pencils [ AKA Fat-Boy or Industrial ]

From the top pencil #7 & 8 have the Model # on them with reference to J-10 Jotter [ which is also a Fat-Boy or Industrial model ].

I only have one of these Jottters at this time. [ Always looking ]

You can see on the bottom end of the pencil, the profile is straight then tapers down quick.

You can see the difference with reference with the MP-1 model on the bottom of the tray below the two Pepsi-Cola pencils.

Most of the pencils have the ridge ball clip [1956-57 ].

I like them.

I'll try to get a better photo.

Edited by JotterAddict62

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_101026320_zpswkjklusn.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_115454594_zpsroxrklkn.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_115439248_zpscji5rb3s.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_115445018_zps4y61opuc.jpg

Here are some hard to find Parker Model MP-10 Pencils [ AKA Fat-Boy or Industrial ]

From the top pencil #7 & 8 have the Model # on them with reference to J-10 Jotter [ which is also a Fat-Boy or Industrial model ].

I only have one of these Jottters at this time. [ Always looking ]

You can see on the bottom end of the pencil, the profile is straight then tapers down quick.

You can see the difference with reference with the MP-1 model on the bottom of the tray below the two Pepsi-Cola pencils.

Most of the pencils have the ridge ball clip [1956-57 ].

I like them.

I'll try to get a better photo.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/IMG_20180704_115445018_zpslggckeri.jpg

Pardon me, some how I deleted a photo.

As a teacher, I'm pretty penciled-out. Pencils are fine, but I get tired of seeing grey all the time. I was a mechanical pencil aficionado in high school and university. That was only because I needed something to easily correct. However, I do appreciate the artistic aspect of the pencil and the ability to shade.

pen_master

• 2 weeks later...

A curious retractable tip mechanical pencil made by Platinum, simply called the "Z".

HJW2bTr.jpg

WvLKV6C.jpg

It has a similar clip mechanism to the Lamy Dialog 2, where the tip extension causes the clip to retract so you don't feel it while writing.

Apparently, this pencil is a vintage pencil. I was able to find a listing on ebay, but it was already sold out.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised to see no mention of the USA-made Autopoints. I love MPs and these are fun, with a different advance mechanism from most: you twist the nose cone. Unfortunately, the leads are somewhat proprietary, as they're shorter, and only available in a couple of hardnesses. I wish they came in something more like a 2B.

I bought an Autopoint recently, vintage made of bakelite i am pretty sure. Imprinted with Illinois Fire Insurance Co. CHICAGO. PAID $3.00

I bought an Autopoint recently, vintage made of bakelite i am pretty sure. Imprinted with Illinois Fire Insurance Co. CHICAGO. PAID $3.00

A great grab. :thumbup: Hopefully, it isn't abused.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

A great grab. :thumbup: Hopefully, it isn't abused.

It is marked in two places: millers national insurance chicago Il and Illinois Fire Insurance Co Chicago Il. May have been advertising samples. Some days,I am stupid. I could have bought 3 of these at the antique store. They were NIB.

I have an antique clutch pencil 2mm lead. I try not to handle it much as the printing is wearing off. EAGLE AUTOMATIC 861 DATED MAY 20 '78. It still works. Great condition at 140 years old.

Edited by Studio97

I have an antique clutch pencil 2mm lead. I try not to handle it much as the printing is wearing off. EAGLE AUTOMATIC 861 DATED MAY 20 '78. It still works. Great condition at 140 years old.

I looked up an image of this. Apparently it is a copying pencil.

+1

Only 140 years old, plenty of life left. Enjoy :lol:

It is fascinating what you can find in the nooks and crannies of antique shops.

Engineer :

+1

Only 140 years old, plenty of life left. Enjoy :lol:

It is fascinating what you can find in the nooks and crannies of antique shops.

Bought many years ago. Flea market $1.00

Bought many years ago. Flea market $1.00

:yikes: :thumbup:

Engineer :

I have been using fountain pens for close to 10 years, over the past few years I have tried mechanical pencils. I currently use Paper Mate Clear Point 0.7mm with colored lead for making notations in my Bible. I have always had issues with mechanical pencils that have a twist system like pierre cardin that the lead won't stay inside, it falls out and I have no idea if they can be repaired or how to fix them.

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange.png