Who Else Thinks That A Mechanical Pencil Is The Next-Best Thing To A Fountain Pen?

lurcho

As an accountant I have always used a mechanical pencil and fountain pens just because they were different. I just picked up a Faber-Castell Snakewood Mechanical Pencil to replace my Montblanc that looked out of place where I currently work. I could not believe that the other accountants here do not use either a pencil or fountain pen. Instead they use the disposal pens you get as promotional items. Oh well one day they may learn that these items make the job more interesting.

Yes! Agree 100% Am also an accountant, and I either used nice ballpoints, fountain pens, and mechanical pencils. Occasionally a Pilot G2 if I didn't have red available in my other pens. Everyone else is using the cheap office supply closet stuff or promotional. I always had at least a Parker 45 Flighter or similar in my pocket with matching mechanical pencil. (or other Parker Flighter model)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• 1nkulus

• truthpil

• milkb0at

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I second that. I just recently discovered Rotring, and received a couple of 500s a few days ago. Also got a 600 in the mail from JP. Looking forward to receiving it (together with a Platinum Izumo, but thats a whole other story :) ).

Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Yard-O-Led victorian finish Perfecta is not only a work of art but a great pencil. 1.1mm leads can be a bit thick for some uses but it's a great writer. People are amazed (or fake amazement) that it contains 36 inches of lead!

Gary

I always enjoy seeing MYU's vintage Japanese exotica. It's amazing to see the sheer number of models out there.

I recently fell in love with the Caran D'Ache Fixpencil which has precipitated a big change in how I perceive mechanical pencils. I suppose the Fixpencil was the original drafting pencil, but compared to GraphGear 1000s etc it's super basic. My super-fancy pencils have gone into a case and I'm left with the Fixpencil and 5 other pencils.

- Staedtler Mars Technico 780C leadholder. I've had this for longer than the Fixpencil and it's still excellent. I prefer the Fixpencil but the 780C fits the excellent Staedtler leadpointer barrel thingy, so it's convenient

- Caran D'Ache 844 mechanical pencil (and matching 849 ballpoint). It's a great writing pencil and of course matches the beautiful feel and style of the Fixpencil

- Pentel P205, since I've always got to have it to hand. This would be my realistic 1 pencil for life

- Pentel PG1005 (Graph 1000 for Pro). Stupid name and officially not as "good" as the GraphGear 1000, but I much prefer it. It's an awsome pencil, and I feel like it's the bigger brother of the P205 even though the design is very different

- Staedtler 925 25-05. I didn't think I'd like it since it's too "technical", but somehow it feels great in the hand and in use. I'll take this over the Rotring 600

I'm sure the selection will change over time, but the journey is part of the fun. While I'm in a Caran D'Ache / hexagonal mood I'd like to get an Ecridor or, if I'm feeling particularly rich, a Yard-O-Led Diplomat Barley.

(That post sort of spurred on with the excitement of seeing Dave's Mechanical Pencil Blog back up and running. A good excuse to play with more mechanical pencils.)

I always enjoy seeing MYU's vintage Japanese exotica. It's amazing to see the sheer number of models out there.

Thanks. :) Glad to know someone here appreciates seeing them. PILOT is my favorite pen brand so I've enjoyed digging into their past to find out what they've created. It's just incredible the workmanship they put into some of their writing instruments, from design to materials. And not just fountain pens, pencils, and ballpoints. At one point they created an all steel multi-pen similar in function to the rOtring Trio. Very well made. All inserts lock solidly into place with no wobble.

Pilot_2_1_Multipen_3-types.jpg

Here it is in a line-up with some other multi-pens:

Multipen-4-shot_01.jpg

I do have to admit the rOtring 600 Trio takes the cake. The mechanical operation is so silky smooth. But unfortunately, the cost is rather prohibitive for those older versions with knurled section. I lucked out in getting mine below market value, where the seller said it was sticking (I was able to fix it).

milkb0at, your selection of workhorse pencils is admirable. The Pentel P205 gets a lot of love from those who use it (others from a far deride it for being a "cheap" pencil). It's good enough that the Spoke-4 pencil core is from a P205/207/209 (depending upon lead size selected). The maker found the Pentel P20x model to have such a reliable engine that it made perfect sense to utilize it. Also, I really like the Caran d'Ache 844 design. One of these days I'll have one in my collection. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I've managed to avoid multi-pens in my life (apart from the famous Bic ones that have been around for decades), which is lucky since that's another rabbit hole. I like the look of the top one in the photo, obviously a Lamy... except for that "Japan" on the clip. So what is it, please? And the bottom one?

I've been tempted by the Spoke 4 since I've heard so much about it. So far it's a "nice to have" rather than "need" so I haven't bought one... yet.

I rely on mechanical pencils (typically Pentels) for list making, particularly in my planner. What has changed over the years is the thickness of the lead I favor. Like most people I started with the default .5 mm but I know gravitate toward the .9 mm in the softest grade I can find for that size, 2B. I'm enjoying my Pentel Graphgear 1000 (PG10190).

I've managed to avoid multi-pens in my life (apart from the famous Bic ones that have been around for decades), which is lucky since that's another rabbit hole. I like the look of the top one in the photo, obviously a Lamy... except for that "Japan" on the clip. So what is it, please? And the bottom one?

I've been tempted by the Spoke 4 since I've heard so much about it. So far it's a "nice to have" rather than "need" so I haven't bought one... yet.

It can be a rabbit hole, unless you find one that works well for you right off the bat. The first one is not a LAMY, as it is made in Japan. It's a modern rOtring Trio, one of the variants that was created after the rOtring 600 Trio was discontinued. I think I bought it for like $25 USD. You should be able to find them used on eBay. The bottom one is a rOtring clone of some kind--don't know the brand, as it isn't imprinted on it anywhere.

A little more mechanical pencil eye-candy.

PILOT_H-2103_01a.jpg

What model is this? :wub:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I used to do animation with a Pentel .9 mm back in the Pleistocene, but nowadays I keep a smart little Edward Todd propelling pencil in a jacket pocket in case I run out of ink.

• 3 weeks later...

Pentel_PSD5_02.jpg

Not the most glamorous looking mechanical pencil, but a much richer experience when held in the hand. This is very well made by Pentel back in the glory days of drafting by pencil.

Edited by MYU

• 3 weeks later...

I have to apologize for my earlier photo links appearing broken. PostImg.org ran into some kind of registrar issue with their URL and all of their image hosting now uses the ".cc" top domain instead of ".org". Since I cannot go back and edit earlier photos, they're permanently broken. But if you capture the URL and just make the change I indicated, the image will display.

Anyway, I came across a real beauty, made by Tombow. It's a mechanical pencil made of stainless steel with wood accents, to include a rather lengthy wood section. One of the more handsome pencils I've seen thus far.

0iholeg0eqv01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

since I couldnt dig deep into vintage MPs of the modern MPs I have the ones I like

Pilot Automac (its heavy for me though)

Tombow Monograph Zero

Tombow Z505

CdA 849 (if it could only come in .5 Y_Y)

Lamy CP1 again if it could only come in .5

Pilot S20

I mean given these are widely known pens so posting a picture for them would be kind of useless <_<

The Lamy CP1 did come in a 0.5mm pencil. It was a special edition storm trooper white? Was a few years ago that I was able to add to my collection.

Must be careful extends the lead a bit too far at times.

post-1517-0-69378100-1526220107_thumb.jpg

post-1517-0-59665000-1526220142_thumb.jpg