Omas Stub Nib Vs Visconti Stub Nib

rrs

Broad,, Medium, Fine Nib Sir?

NO THANKS! - will be the answer that follows.

No longer will these nibs be looked at, due to John Hall(A true honor meeting this gentleman. Delightful & Outstanding customer service) here in the UK.

At the recent North UK pen show I acquired a OMAS Arco Verde, hi trim with an italic nib. There lies the culprit, the OMAS Italic nib. I have not been able to put the pen down, by no means am I an expert on using this type of nib. But with practice have used this pen and can now write with certain amount of speed!

Still little scratchy on paper but only when I mistakenly change angle of nib.

My Question: The love affair has started hehe.

I am currently deciding do I go for a OMAS Stub Nib OR Visconti Stub Nib?

Any suggestions? Anyone with experience of both nibs?

Could someone point in right direction to see writing samples for both nibs?

Help!

Thanks

rrs.

Edited by rrs

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rrs

• Chopper88

• georges zaslavsky

• rvthof

quote name="Houston" post="2774963" timestamp="1379060478"]I wasn't aware that Omas made a stub. Does it?

I thought if I wanted an Omas stub, I needed to buy a BB and have it ground. No?

Omas in certain pens do a range of nibs!

The pen is from the Omas Arco Italiana range:

Omas Arco Celluloid Fountain pen is the pen that I am looking at buying, it comes with 10 different nib options.

Check the following link as to the different nib sizes:

http://www.writeherekitenow.co.uk/acatalog/Omas-Arco-Fountain-Pen.html

Stub, Italic, 52 1/2 Italic, there are even Flessible nib (what these nibs are I'm not to sure, if someone could shed some light in these nibs. Be much appreciated)

Cheers

rrs

Edited by rrs

You mean you don't know what Flessible nibs are?

These are simple extra flexible nibs, they provide a nice line variation while writing as they spread out a little wider under little pressure :)

I don't have experience in stub nibs, but I recall you vehemently complaining about Visconti. Maybe go Omas or you might get even more enraged if something goes wrong :)

Half kidding, half serious here :)

These are simple extra flexible nibs, they provide a nice line variation while writing as they spread out a little wider under little pressure :)

Chopper88

Thanks for the info and no I didn't know what they were that's why I asked!

Cheers

rrs

I don't have experience in stub nibs, but I recall you vehemently complaining about Visconti. Maybe go Omas or you might get even more enraged if something goes wrong :)

Half kidding, half serious here :)

100% serious here :) Maybe stick to answering the question asked, instead of deviating of on a tangent! :)

100% serious here :) Maybe stick to answering the question asked, instead of deviating of on a tangent! :)

As the nib question is completely different question and there is a post already set up for Visconti issues.

Cheers

rrs

The Omas stub dwarfs the Visconti stub on all levels

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Have you had a chance to use the OMAS stub nib or Visconti stub nib or both?

And if so:

How easy was it to gain technique so the pen/s worked!

Did you find any issues?

Cheers

rrs

hi Georges

Could you please elaborate this?

I have a Omas Paragon with stub nib: lovely writer.

I'm new to Italian pens and wonder what the differences are from the Visconti nibs,

especially the Palladium nibs.

thanks

Rob

Edited by rvthof

I've a Fine Extra Flessibile nib on the Ogiva I got from WH and it's a real gem. Marvellous.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I've a Fine Extra Flessibile nib on the Ogiva I got from WH and it's a real gem. Marvellous.

I've been thinking about trying one too :)

Actually never heard anyone say anything bad about those nibs, only regard tends to be that its not 'true flex'. Personally, I couldn't care less... as long as it's enjoyable, I'm in :)

hi Georges

Could you please elaborate this?

I have a Omas Paragon with stub nib: lovely writer.

I'm new to Italian pens and wonder what the differences are from the Visconti nibs,

especially the Palladium nibs.

thanks

Rob

The Visconti nibs are great as well, you can buy one without hesitation.

I too am interested in Georges' elaboration!

Chopper88

Thanks for the info and no I didn't know what they were that's why I asked!

Cheers

rrs

No problem, I wasn't trying to ridicule you, I didn't know if you meant flessible nibs, or flessible nibs and the italic variation.

Please don't take offence so easily here ;)

Edited by Chopper88

I've been thinking about trying one too :)

Actually never heard anyone say anything bad about those nibs, only regard tends to be that its not 'true flex'. Personally, I couldn't care less... as long as it's enjoyable, I'm in :)

The Visconti nibs are great as well, you can buy one without hesitation.

I too am interested in Georges' elaboration!

No problem, I wasn't trying to ridicule you, I didn't know if you meant flessible nibs, or flessible nibs and the italic variation.

Please don't take offence so easily here ;)

Chopper!

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Firstly no offense taken and I know you were not trying too ridicule me!

I genuinely didn't know what a flessible nib was, had an idea that might be some sort of flex!

I once got told by a director of mine, never assume! Always be clear, therefore I will always ask if unsure even if it sounds like a stupid question to ask!

Also do you have a OMAS or Visconti pen with stub nib, if so could you display writing sample!

or

anyone else have any writing samples!

thanks

rrs

Although not mine:http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/leighpod/Visconti%20Mazzi%20Dragon/23052008143.jpg

Doesn't that look delicious?!

That it definitely does!

Thanks chopper, have you seen any OMAS samples anywhere!

Did someone say Visconti stub???? The nib is much prettier than my scrawl so............

P1030538.JPG

P1030539.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Did someone say Visconti stub???? The nib is much prettier than my scrawl so............

P1030538.JPG

P1030539.JPG

Thank you for the eye candy!

And I'm sure you're writing will have it's unique characteristic making it beautiful to you!

So please feel free to post.