Pen Writes Only After I Force Ink Via Converter, Random Blobs While Writing Or Stops Entirely

WhatsNewSisyphus

I have a pen at hand, nemosine singularity with a stub nib (I think this is a production error and xfountainpens have been more than wonderful in helping me get a replacement, but I'd like to take it as a learning opportunity)

problems:

If I push the feed all the way down until it has no more to go, and twist the converter until ink flows into the section, the pen will write for a while, and in random intervals drop really big blobs of ink on the page, sometimes followed by a dry spell where the pen stops writing entirely.

If I adjust the feed to be more forward, just clearing the sides of the tines so that it is not visible from the top-side of the pen, the pen will write super smoothly after I force some ink down from the converter, but it will stop and not write again at all until I force more ink.

observations:

I do not see any ink filling the combs of the feed in either situation, but there a pool of ink can be seen between the feed and the nib in situation 1

The nib itself, if you look at it from the tip as if you are going to poke your eye out, the tines are tilted invards, so instead of being a h ( τ ) , it is more of a ( ϒ ) *SUPERBLY EXAGGERATED*

what I tried:

Brushing the feed and the nib, along with the converter with mild dishwashing detergent

Reseating everything about a million times

Different Inks

Very tight / Very loose nib clearance from feed

Tight/Barely touching tine adjustments

flossing the tines

flossing the feed channel

Thanks a bunch.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WhatsNewSisyphus

• ac12

• c4bb0ose

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pick it being a shoddy feed, if you can, look at the ink flow channels, if they are not smoothish it is either going to rail road, or not come out at all. fixs that you can try include clearing out any debries inside the ink flow channels of the feed, if not you will probably have to get a new feed.

I would pick it being a shoddy feed, if you can, look at the ink flow channels, if they are not smoothish it is either going to rail road, or not come out at all. fixs that you can try include clearing out any debries inside the ink flow channels of the feed, if not you will probably have to get a new feed.

I actually had tried scoring the channels with a fresh knife, no go.

This morning, I recleaned the pen and really went at the feed, as I am getting a replacement, cutting the channels deep all the way down, and shaved off some height in between the channels so that it is (|--––--|). The pen now writes ok, the flow is not consistent, It started wet and now it is relatively dry, but it doesn't skip or blob, at least not yet.

Edited by WhatsNewSisyphus

I actually had tried scoring the channels with a fresh knife, no go.

This morning, I recleaned the pen and really went at the feed, as I am getting a replacement, cutting the channels deep all the way down, and shaved off some height in between the channels so that it is (|--––--|). The pen now writes ok, the flow is not consistent, It started wet and now it is relatively dry, but it doesn't skip or blob, at least not yet.

At least you have it going :)

You tried different inks, but what inks?

If all you tried are "dry" inks, that would not help the problem.

What you need to try is a "wet" ink. One that is more runny.

At the end, all I can suggest is to send it back to the manufacturer dealer to get the ink flow problem fixed.

However, by tampering with the feed, they will probably void the warranty.

But you can try once you get a new feed in.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

xfountainpens has been great and they are sending a replacement, as I mentioned in the OP.

I tried poussiere de lune, which is a dense/medium ink that is usually good at balancing waterfall pens, and diamine emerald, which tends to be wetter/dilute sort of ink.

I do not know how Diamine inks compare to Waterman ink regarding wetness, maybe someone else can comment.

I use Waterman ink in dry pens, and yours sure sounds dry.

I suggest getting a bottle of Waterman ink and using that as a base reference.

BTW don't seat things too many times. Doing that will cause wear. There is normal wear and then the abnormal wear. Example a cartridge is expected to be pulled and installed MANY times, but a feed is not expected to be pulled by the end user.

When your replacement feed comes in and is installed, I would first try it with a half load of Waterman ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com