The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Hero 616 Pens (10 Pack)

hero 616 fake counterfeit real genuine parker 51 parker 21 chinese ebay

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Petergriffin

Petergriffin

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:25

Which one of these sets are real and which are counterfeit (or are they all the same)? What are your experiences with them if you have bought them in the past?

hero616.PNG                                hero616..PNG

hero616....PNG                             hero616...PNG

Anyone here who can read Chinese? What do the packs say on the front? 

Edited by Petergriffin, 11 September 2013 - 00:29.

Sponsored Content

#2 joshsrn

joshsrn

Ink Obsessed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:30

I don't read Chinese, but Hero pens are so inexpensive to begin with, I don't know why anyone would bother making a counterfeit. My guess is they are all the same, but that's just a guess.

May your ways be green and golden, and the wind be at your back.

#3 angelofmusic81

angelofmusic81

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:40

I don't know which are which, but I've had a pack of the fake ones and believe me, you don't want them, even at bargain basement prices. I bought a single 616 from a reputable seller (isellpens) and compared it to the pack I had previously purchased from ebay. No contest--and the real 616 ended up being a nice pen. I would recommend seeking out a seller who can guarantee your purchase is legit. They may be cheap, but you might as well get something that works for your money!

#4 joshsrn

joshsrn

Ink Obsessed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:44

I don't know which are which, but I've had a pack of the fake ones and believe me, you don't want them, even at bargain basement prices. I bought a single 616 from a reputable seller (isellpens) and compared it to the pack I had previously purchased from ebay. No contest--and the real 616 ended up being a nice pen. I would recommend seeking out a seller who can guarantee your purchase is legit. They may be cheap, but you might as well get something that works for your money!

I guess you learn something new every day. Good insight.

May your ways be green and golden, and the wind be at your back.

#5 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:44

When I bought a bulk set, they came in individual packaging, so I haven't had experience with the packs to know. But Hero 616 pens have iffy QC anyways. Hopefully you're just buying these as ink testers or giveaways, and not as serious writing instruments.

#6 MBFan

MBFan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:18

Hopefully you're just buying these as ink testers or giveaways, and not as serious writing instruments.

I use two as 'serious' writing instruments, and I have little but praise for them.

OP: Beware of counterfeits, but if you get a good genuine Hero, you'll be very pleased!
'PostedColourless green ideas sleep furiously- Noam Chomsky

#7 UK Mike

UK Mike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:11

EDIT: Double post

Edited by UK Mike, 11 September 2013 - 09:27.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

#8 UK Mike

UK Mike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:11

I have acquired two genuine Hero 616s - and I just can't imagine anyone wanting 10 of them 

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

#9 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

They disabled my Account, you can find me on FPGeeks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:08

I have acquired two genuine Hero 616s - and I just can't imagine anyone wanting 10 of them

Muhahahah..... I can understand this.

I would not want 10 pens of any pen, even a good one, there are so many good pens out there :)

I don't want to doubt that there might be clones of a Hero as nothing is impossible, but I think it is unlikely.
I think more likely is that they are all Hero pens, but often you get a crappy one (typical Chinese pen quality (control)) and only if you are really lucky you get an acceptable one.
You get what you pay for ;)

Petergriffin, I suggest to get some inexpensive good pens instead, like a Lamy Safari, Rotring Artpen, Parker Vector,......or similar.
The Mods disabled my account, so I can't reply here.
If you want to contact (e.g. regarding the EMF Mod) me please do it on FPGeeks.

#10 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:43

There is a thread here somewhere that explains which packaging is legit. I just can't remember where that was....sorry...

check youtube, too

Edited by TSherbs, 11 September 2013 - 10:43.

#11 angelofmusic81

angelofmusic81

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 13:07

Somewhere there is a good post that shows the difference between the real ones and fake ones in the pens themselves. Hero's QC is probably not tops either, but there are some notable differences in the counterfit pens. For instance, the section is quite a bit shorter, the sac and cover are smaller, the clip is shorter, the finial is different, and the engravings on the cap are much shallower and even crooked. The real version is no Parker 51, but it was worth the couple of buck I paid. It writes well, it holds ink, the cap seals, and it doesn't leak/blob. The fake ones didn't have any of those qualities and tended to clog/cease writing for no apparent reason as well.

#12 seymour

seymour

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 13:13

I also bought a 10 pack and a single from Isellpens. They were both value for the money I paid, but the size was different. As I understand it, the 616 comes in 2 sizes.

The ten pack is useful for giving away to potential fountain pen users and the parts are sometimes useful. I have never used any of the 10 pack in my own rotation, but the bigger 616 was a pleasant pen.

Chaim
Chaim Seymour
David Elazar 8
Givat Shemuel
Israel

#13 D B Holtz

D B Holtz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 13:45

I'll add my endorsement for buying them from Todd at isellpens; you'll be sure that you are getting the real thing.  I have two 616's from him and both work well for me.

#14 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 14:07

I also bought a 10 pack and a single from Isellpens. They were both value for the money I paid, but the size was different. As I understand it, the 616 comes in 2 sizes.

The ten pack is useful for giving away to potential fountain pen users and the parts are sometimes useful. I have never used any of the 10 pack in my own rotation, but the bigger 616 was a pleasant pen.

Chaim

seymour, you may be referring to the difference between the regular 616 and the 616 Jumbos. The Jumbo is probably closer to the real Parker '51 in girth and length, and has a higher ink capacity than its regular sibling, but otherwise it's the same pen.

#15 Sarah Tsai

Sarah Tsai

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:43

I'm from China, actually 616 is not fantastic as some guys said. (according to its price), but there are some conditions that it really feel good. I feel that 616 that has yellow cap is better than white cap( like your picture)

#16 Sarah Tsai

Sarah Tsai

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:02

actually 616 is not fantastic as some guys said. (according to its price), but there are some conditions that it really feel good. I feel that 616 that has yellow cap is better than white cap( like your picture)

#17 Sarah Tsai

Sarah Tsai

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:26

actually 616 is not fantastic as some guys said. (according to its price), but there are some conditions that it really feel good. I feel that 616 that has yellow cap is better than white cap( like your picture)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hero 616, fake, counterfeit, real, genuine, parker 51, parker 21, chinese, ebay

Sponsored Content

|