The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What's A Cursive Hand That Looks Good With Modern "flex Pens"?

dilli konrad noodlers serwex shading copperplate roundhand

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:46

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good script/lettering style that would look elegant when written small (under 8mm majuscule height) with a modern flex fountain pen such as a Noodler's Ahab, Konrad, or Serwex/Dilli?

These pens don't always have quick returns, but they allow the inks I use to shade to my liking. I've been using a copperplate variant, but it's just nowhere near what it needs to be to look appealing. They can't really do quick turn arounds with the hairlines/swells and it comes off just looking like lazy copperplate with too much ink. 

Any ideas? Feel free to post pics if you think of something. 

PT.

Sponsored Content

#2 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2013 - 15:55

I don't claim to be an expert, but here's what I do. In fact, I found my Konrad to be great for this kind of writing:

IMG_6738_zpsc1281166.jpg

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

#3 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2013 - 17:04

Check out the lessons section of http://www.iampeth.com

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#4 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:46

I don't claim to be an expert, but here's what I do. In fact, I found my Konrad to be great for this kind of writing:

IMG_6738_zpsc1281166.jpg

Excellent post, in so many ways.

#5 Quotidianlight

Quotidianlight

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:15

That is very pretty!

#6 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:25

My question is why do you feel you need to stay with a modern pen?  There are some wonderful flex nibs out there on vintage pens and costing not that much.  I recently purchased a Moore L-94 from Tommy's Vintage Pens.  It has the finest hairlines, has quick return and flexes easily without being a wet noodle.  

I have used Noodler's nib creeper, Konrad, and Ahab and they are OK, but just don't have the feel or function as well as the vintage flex nibs from the 20's and 30's.

#7 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2013 - 21:07

Have you checked out Peyton Street Pens? They offer a series of pens with vintage Eversharp flex nibs, Indian-made ebonite bodies, and Chinese-made aerometric fillers. Cost about $75.00. Look like a good deal to me.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#8 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 22:47

My question is why do you feel you need to stay with a modern pen?  There are some wonderful flex nibs out there on vintage pens and costing not that much.  I recently purchased a Moore L-94 from Tommy's Vintage Pens.  It has the finest hairlines, has quick return and flexes easily without being a wet noodle.  

I have used Noodler's nib creeper, Konrad, and Ahab and they are OK, but just don't have the feel or function as well as the vintage flex nibs from the 20's and 30's.

I'm not married to them, I'm just more interested in adapting my writing to suit what is inexpensive and easily available. 

#9 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 22:49

Have you checked out Peyton Street Pens? They offer a series of pens with vintage Eversharp flex nibs, Indian-made ebonite bodies, and Chinese-made aerometric fillers. Cost about $75.00. Look like a good deal to me.

Enjoy,

Nice tip, but it doesn't quite answer my question.

#10 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 22:50

IMG_6738_zpsc1281166.jpg

That's a fine answer to my question! That's kind of what I've been doing, but I'm still experimenting.

#11 Quotidianlight

Quotidianlight

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2013 - 23:01

I'm not married to them, I'm just more interested in adapting my writing to suit what is inexpensive and easily available. 

I'm actually allergic to ebonite so this thread was helpful to me. It's nice to know I can learn a really pretty hand with a modern pen. Thanks for the OP

#12 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2013 - 23:06

If you watch Greg Minuskins site or Tommy's Vintage Pens site you can find user grade pens with very nice flex nibs for around $60.00, not much more than you pay for a modern pen with flex.  In both cases the pens have vintage nibs and the pens have been reconditioned.  I've purchased pens from both sites.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dilli, konrad, noodlers, serwex, shading, copperplate, roundhand

Sponsored Content

|