20 Yrs+ Pelikan And Rotring Inks

BCL-2

Dear fellow pen appreciators,

I have managed to score a couple of rather old pelikan and rotring fountain pen inks, and though I read numerous topics about the decades long shelf life of Scheaffer inks and a few bad experiences with PR inks, does anyone have any experience with these specific brands?

I think they are 20 years old or older(they have the older pelikan logo wit the 2 schematic nestlings, plus they are marked as made in west germany...), and the rotring is probably the same age as well.

Should I be worried about using them? Apart from slime and mold is there sth else I should look for?

Also would anyone recommend putting i na drop of phenol into the bottles, even yet unopened ones which might sit on the shelf for another year or so?

There are no visible problems, but I'm particularly worried since they have 60ml in them which won't be used up too fast. Also colours like violet will be used once every 2 months or so. That means it won't stay closed, but won't be used up too fast either.

Since the rotring ones don't seem to be common I'll try to post reviews and examples of the colours I have sometime next week :)

2 Parker Frontiers, 1 Lamy Safari, 1 MB 146, 1 Pilot MR and new friends: M805 in blue and an M 420. Yay!

Current holy grail: Caran d'Ache Leman Bicolor in saffron or possibly white. Not yet sure.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BCL-2

• The Blue Knight

• Florida Blue

• amberleadavis

I'm currently using a bottle of Pelikan blue/black ink from about that time period (1980s to early 1990s) marked W. Germany. So far I haven't had any issues with the ink so I think you might be fine. The Pelikan ink may already have some type of anti-molding agent in it.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

http://i.imgur.com/56hsDu2.png

Here you go, the inks I acquired not long ago. I know many people think pelikan red is a horrendous crime against humanity, but it was really cheap so I wanted to see it for myself.

2 Parker Frontiers, 1 Lamy Safari, 1 MB 146, 1 Pilot MR and new friends: M805 in blue and an M 420. Yay!

Current holy grail: Caran d'Ache Leman Bicolor in saffron or possibly white. Not yet sure.

Open them up. Pull out some ink with into a vial and use a dip pen first. How does it look?

I've been told that the stability depends on the years (what water was used and what chemicals were used). Sheaffer inks had phenol which prevented slime. If you see no slime; the ink looks stable - no chunks or strange floating particles; and works well with a dip pen, then I would use it a fountain pen (though I'd start with one that is easy to clean).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the advice :)

I read it a bit too late, after I saw no slime in the black oneI put it in a pen and used it. I have no dip pen so that's out.

Next time I'll be even more careful.

With the red one I saw some white powder at the bottom so I just checked teh colour and after I didn't like the colour (I was surprised, both blue-black and black are fantastic from pelikan) I threw it out with good heart.