The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Parker Sonnet Inner Section/feed Collar Broken :(

parker sonnet inner section/feed collar leaking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixfeder

phoenixfeder

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:51

Hello everybody,

my beloved Parker Sonnet seems to be suffering from a severe collar fracture. :(

Symptoms:

First symptoms were leaking of ink from the section where the nib/feed screws into the inner section, around the metal ring.

The leaking got worse and worse (beautifully Tanzanite colored fingers!) and finally the metal ring fell off! :yikes:

Inspecting the patient:

Inspection of the pen and disassembling of it showed fracture lines on the collar. The plastic rim of the plastic collar section that is supposed to hold the metal ring in place looks like it is broken off completely, explaining the ring falling off.  :wacko:

Picture:

Apologies for the quality, I'm not really good at photography..

DSCN1753.JPG

The pen is about 3 years old, so there's no warranty on it anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could do except sending it to Parker for repair? Is there someone out there (Germany or USA) from whom I can purchase a new collar for my Sonnet? I did look but couldn't find anyone. :(

Cheers and have a great Sunday!

Phoenixfeder (with Sonnet patient)

P.Ss:

VERY BIG thank you to antoniosz for his "The guts of Sonnets" (http://www.fountainp...+parker +sonnet) it helped me a lot!!! Great pics and explanations!

Sponsored Content

#2 studiohead

studiohead

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2013 - 15:09

I actually think you can ask Parker for the replacement part. The Singapore Distributor sold me 1 full section for under USD$30, cannot remember the exact cost.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2013 - 16:53

If Parker will not provide a section, I have bought spare sections from Penbox in the UK, and from penpartstore (Miami, Florida) on ebay.  Penbox sells them for 12 GBP, and silver tone or gold tone are available.  Penpartsstore on ebay has a couple of them listed.  One is $45/offer.  I might offer $22.  I am bidding on one on ebay now, and your need is greater than mine, so I will understand if you out bid me at $22.

I see no reason why Parker shouldn't offer a section, but the website only says they sell rollerball sections.  I have thought about just buying a bunch of roller sections and converting the pens to rollers.  Then I would use the 51s for fountain pen use. 

Penbox link:  http://www.penbox.co...nib.section.htm

Edited by pajaro, 08 September 2013 - 16:55.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 phoenixfeder

phoenixfeder

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2013 - 18:30

Thank you both so much for the quick answers!

I just placed an order at penbox for a new section. :D

Pajaro, that's a very generous and kind offer to let me know about the ebay bidding! I had a big smile on my face :) I decided on the Penbox, I feel better about getting the section there than outbidding you on ebay :) when you actually helped me so much!

You guys are great! Thanks again!

Have a great Sunday!

phoenixfeder

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker sonnet, inner section/feed collar, leaking

Sponsored Content

|