The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My New, Old, Kamakuri-Bori Pens!

eyedropper

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LinnT

LinnT

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2013 - 21:32

Hello,

I pulled the trigger and made an offer on two pens I found at a local antique mall. I had seen the pens Tuesday, just before closing time, and fell in love. They were in two different cases at opposite ends of the room, but owned by the same vender. Today I went back and got to sit down and look at them side by side. I made an offer and the vender took it. The smaller one is 5 inches long capped and the longer one is 5 1/4 inches long. The smaller one has a Pilot Warranted 14K #2 nib. The longer one is a Warranted 14K #3 JIS nib.

Both are marked R14K on the clips and band with minimal brassing on the shorter pen. The larger pen was well loved, the cap is worn, even some of the urushi is worn above the band in one area. Someone carried and used this pen. Its bori pattern looks to be similar to one Stan had posted and has on his website. It is not the common pattern. The shorter pen is in the more typical pattern with an area for personalization which is blank. Both show signs of ink around the shut-off rod.

So with out further bragging, the pictures.

kb1 resized.jpg

kb2 resized.jpg

kb3.jpg

kb4.jpg

kb5.jpg

kb6.jpg

kb7.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Strang

Strang

Down

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2013 - 23:00

Very nice finds!  :thumbup: 

Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.

#3 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2013 - 00:50

Wow...no, I mean WOW!!! Those are both beautiful, amazing pens! I'm not surprised that you fell in love with them - I especially love the pattern on the larger one, that's quite unique. Are the pens in working condition? If not, are you going to get them restored?

#4 LinnT

LinnT

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:19

Wow...no, I mean WOW!!! Those are both beautiful, amazing pens! I'm not surprised that you fell in love with them - I especially love the pattern on the larger one, that's quite unique. Are the pens in working condition? If not, are you going to get them restored?

I know, I kept thinking about them from the time I saw them until I made the offer (don't tell my family, they had no idea why I had that look in my eyes). I just sent Eric in Scotland an email about getting them operational.

Edited by LinnT, 10 September 2013 - 03:20.

#5 peerless1

peerless1

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,733 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:22

Very nice!

Any bori found with a pattern other than the diamond or staggered pattern is rare.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper

Sponsored Content

|