The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Rakuten

japan store japanese

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomkeb

tomkeb

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:04

Hello,

does anybody have any experience with this Japanese store called Rakuten? I haven't gone through the website thoroughly, but they offer for example Iroshizuku for $13, which looks absurdly cheap to me…

Edit: I see, it's something like ebay with sellers having their info written in Japanese. It will be more complicated than I initially thought…

Edited by tomkeb, 05 September 2013 - 19:24.

k6ic.png

Sponsored Content

#2 Simius

Simius

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:19

I bought a pen and some ink in May from the Bunkeido store in Rakuten. The transaction was smooth enough; the cost of shipping was a bit of a surprise because of the ink bottles.

#3 penultress

penultress

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 19:13

They are a huge retailer.  I believe they are like amazon with different merchants under their umbrella.  I can't vouch for their selling record, but they are VERY competitive with pricing. 

ETA:

I found this thread on the subject: 

http://www.fountainp...an#entry2625133

Edited by penultress, 06 September 2013 - 19:22.

#4 a aa

a aa

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:24

Ok, I ordered a pen, but  day or so later got a message in Japanese giving shipping costs. Not sure what it is asking for as the Japanese translator was not clear.

Does one have to reply to the second message to get the order processed?

#5 ParkerGuy2000

ParkerGuy2000

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:47

I ordered cast-iron pans from Rakuten.  The store manager communicated with me personally via email.  I added a few other items, and everything went through without a hitch. 

As mentioned above, there are a number of stores under the Rakuten site.

I am tempted to get Iroshizuku inks via Rakuten as well!

#6 Simius

Simius

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 13:56

Ok, I ordered a pen, but  day or so later got a message in Japanese giving shipping costs. Not sure what it is asking for as the Japanese translator was not clear.

Does one have to reply to the second message to get the order processed?

Something similar happened to me as well. In my case, the addition of the ink bottles increased shipping costs beyond the original estimate. At least that's what I surmised from the email. There was a telephone number in the email; I called and spoke to the manager (in English) - he took care of the rest (i.e., charging an extra amount for the shipping).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: japan, store, japanese

Sponsored Content

|