Water-Resistant Diamine Blues?

requiescat

Howdy! I know this is kind of a long shot, but Noodler's Black may have done in the diaphragm of my azure Parker Vacumatic (it's currently out to repair) and I was kind of hoping to find a water-resistant non-dangerous ink that more or less matches the pen's color (yeah, I'm one of those people). So I thought, hey, maybe a Diamine ink?

I like teal blues--things in the ballpark Noodler's Texas Bluebonnet range. (I love that ink, but low-maintenance it is not.) Not keen on purply blues. Can live with blue-blacks/blue-grays.

Right now I have determined that Diamine Prussian Blue will remain readable after a drop-water-on-it-wait-until-it-dries test. And, for kicks, Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo also seems to do about as well, so maybe that's an option. But I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other things to try?

If desperate I suppose I could consider Pilot Blue, which in my test had great water-resistance--I tried it and thought it was too faded purply-blue for my taste, but beggars can't be choosers.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• requiescat

• DanF

• colex

• cbaytan

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give the Iroshizuku line of pens a good look, especially Kon-peki if you like teals. These inks have for me a little bit of water-resistance, especially after drying onto the paper. Plus they are extremely good flushers. Seems to take no time at all with a bulb syringe to clean out a c/c pen and come out of piston fillers pretty well, too. Might be just the thing for your vacumatic. I have used it in 51's myself and just love it.

Fair winds and following seas.

Pilot Blue or Blue Black are the most water resistant inks of the non-bulletproof variety in my experience, other than the various iron gall inks. If you want to try mixing, you could probably goose the Pilot blue in a greenish direction - the green may lift but most of the blue would remain. Let any mixes sit for 24 hours before you put them in a pen, in case the individual colors don't play well together.

To me, Pilot Blue is a relatively neutral blue, leaning neither to purple nor to green. I am becoming rather fond of it.

Jet Pens has the 70 ml bottles of either.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I'll give the Pilot and Iroshizuku inks a look. Thanks so much!

I am realizing Pilot Blue "reads" purpling for me because I have somehow got it into my head that this particular piece of ocean with its green undertone is "true" blue, so everything to the side of that looks like "purplish" blue even if it doesn't have a purple component! My brain is weird.

I'd consider Montblanc Midnight Blue. It's a very, very dark blue-black (to the point of being black) modern iron gall, or ferro-gallic permanent ink. Not only waterproof but nice flow characteristics as well.

Montblanc recommends frequent flushing but I must say I haven't found that to be necessary. It takes me about a month to go through a fill and then I flush with water a few times, dry and refill. No problems with this Pelikan M1000 and it's been inked continuously with Montblanc's iron gall ink from back when the ink was called Blue-Black.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Hi,

+1 for for Pilot kon-peki.

Kindly consider Pelikan Topaz.

Both lean toward Cyan, away from Indigo. Water resistant enough for what's written to survive accidental wet tests.

IIRC plain ol' Pilot Blue can be mixed/blended with the Pilot iroshizuku inks to give a more water resistant result, with little risk exposure to encountering an event horizon.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

If you like Blue-Black colors, I suggest the Sailor sei-boku... It's a fully water resistant ink!

http://fivecatpenagerie.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/sei-boku-copy-paper.jpg?w=529&h=220

http://www.pengallery.com/product_images/r/683/Sailor_Fountain_Pen_50ml_Sei_Boku_Blue_Black_Bottle_Ink__12879_zoom.JPG

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

Thank you all for the options! The Sailor Sei-Boku looks especially attractive (colex, you have such gorgeous handwriting)! I will investigate.

Sei Boku is a beautiful waterproof in, but is a pigment rather than dye based ink, and needs reasonable pen maintenance. You don't want it to dry in your pen. I use it in pens that I can easily take apart. I haven't experienced any problems with it yet.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Mine OMAS Milord FP.it Millesimus is filled with sei-boku from 3 months ... Zero problems! :thumbup:

http://i.imgur.com/FGfP84F.jpg

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

If you like Blue-Black colors, I suggest the Sailor sei-boku... It's a fully water resistant ink!

+4

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Sailor S-B. Fade and Sun resistant.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-10-24_done__01_small.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sei-Boku kicks butt ;)

I almost always keep a pen,or more, inked with it. Currently in my Pelikan M400 and J.Herbin inkball.

Found it to be extremely well behaved on most papers.

It does tend to really like nibs though, and after you are done filling, it might be tough to get off nibs. My Sailor Pro Gear Realo looked like it had an "aged" copper nib for a while after filling.

To me it seems to be more water resistant than the I-G's in the sense that I-G's like Salix lose the blue component when exposed to water.

I think though for "weight" in appearance, MB Midnight Blue and DRI might have it beat.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I may be speaking a herecy here, but I have drawn a liking to the infamous Baystate Blue. It's bold, it's a pure blue to me (being a bright cobalt electric blue), and it stays put. So far, it cooperates with all my pens as a factory ink does, though I have nothing fancy. My biggest dangerwith it, thus far, is one reason I like it-once it goes on anything organic, it is very stubborn about coming off. A sticky note I threw in my dish water lost everything I put on it except what was in Baystate Blue. That remained untouched by the water. I figured, surely, the Hope Pink would have stayed after seeing the waay it coat inside the bottle.

If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.

Another supporter of Sei Boku. Used it in my vacumatic for 6 months and no issues to date.

Noodles Prime of the Commons is another you could consider, it's a very dark blue with hints of green

So. Can we say there is no true water resistant Diamine except Registrars blue-black which turns to grey after dries up?

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

I think that even the D Registrar's ink doesn't come with the 'I'm waterproof/water-resistant: buy me' label. There are quite a lot of 'ordinary' Diamine blue inks which will resist water: my soaks for 30 minutes demonstrate this relatively well. See post 13 above, for the link. If I want an ordinary ink with the properties you refer to, I use Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black.

Simple.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"