The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Flamed Cane: Darkening Up The True Bamboo

bamboo thread wrap custom

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 13:38

After posting my 'True Bamboo' pen recently, I had a number of people requesting a darker version.  So, here by request is darker version of the pen, using another bamboo fly fishing rod making technique...

IMG_8591_zps247748f5.jpg?t=1378259684

In the last two posts, I mentioned the thread-wrap technique commonly used in fly fishing rod construction (especially bamboo 'cane' rods), here I used another technique used in their production.  'Flaming' is a process used to carmelize and lightly char the outside of a bamboo culm before it is split into strips and planed to size to make a fly fishing rod.  It gives the bamboo a nice, darkened appearance, and a bit of colour texture.  Here I have used that technique on a small culm that I wanted to use for a pen.  After flaming the culm, I took off the outer layers with a bit of steel wool, then sealed the pen inside and out with a good soak of low viscosity CA.

IMG_8595_zps6a7b8141.jpg?t=1378259686
IMG_8602_zps7cec803b.jpg?t=1378259688

As I think I mentioned in my last post, for the thread wraps on blonde, or pale cane, spring green is a popular choice, while on flamed cane one often sees darker colours such as the garnet thread I have used here.

IMG_8618_zps3e0729fd.jpg?t=1378259694  

The end jewels on my last Bamboo pen were a bit too prominent for my taste, so on this pen I decided to make them simple, flat, and out of ruby flake acrylic to match the thread wraps - and am reasonably pleased with the result.  The nib section, as well as the threaded parts of the cap and barrel, I made from black acrylic.

IMG_8609_zpsb6a8e67a.jpg?t=1378259692

Here is a group shot of the last three bamboo pens that I made - the flamed cane, the blonde cane, and the pen made of bamboo 'wood':

IMG_8622_zps46748c87.jpg?t=1378259701

Thanks for looking - comments and critique welcome.

Ken

Sponsored Content

#2 Kess

Kess

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 14:28

Great work!  I really like it. Very classy looking.

-Gary
www.maestropen.com

#3 penultress

penultress

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 15:37

Gorgeous!  I really like that burnt, darkened effect with the ruby trim.

#4 Swaffer

Swaffer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 20:57

Great work Drgoretex. Really smart looking. I like the darkened one best, good colour choice on the threads.

#5 Scriptorium Pens

Scriptorium Pens

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 21:49

Simply amazing!   :wub:

Renée

Visit my site at

fpn_1381279657__scriptoriumpens-label4.p

Handcrafted Fountain & Dip Pens

For Behind the Scenes pictures and comments, check out Instagram & Twitter.

#6 kendoka

kendoka

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 22:21

Really nice and very creative on the finish.

Tony

#7 Tberry010

Tberry010

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:50

I think the 'flamed' bamboo version is much nicer than the lighter versions, and wonder what a section of a matching color to the winding thread would look like? The end jewels are also much nicer IMO.

#8 Daisy25

Daisy25

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:04

That flamed cane is absolutely gorgeous!  So dramatic and with this great rich depth to it.  Wow.

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

#9 pictogramax

pictogramax

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:22

Exceptional! Beautiful tones on body by that flaming technique.

#10 GemMayhem

GemMayhem

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:17

Exquisite!  To my tastes, the 'flamed' version is even more beautiful than the 'blonde' (and I really like that one, too!).  The burgundy gives it a very classy finish. Absolutely stunning!! :wub:  Thanks for sharing. 

#11 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:17

Thanks for the kind comments!

TBerry010 - matching section - something to consider, thanks!  :-))

Ken

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:25

Really wonderful work!

Is there a possibility of providing a pocket clip?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#13 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:39

Ken,  this is my favorite so far - great work!!!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#14 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:31

It is really something different to see the workmanship without the marketing hype... Great work and keep the ideas coming.

#15 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 20:17

Congratulations Ken, the "flamed" bamboo looks awesome !

Francis

#16 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 22:55

Flaming gives the material a very rich patina, and garnet thread complements it perfectly. If you could find a color match for the garnet thread, I think I'd go that way with section and end jewels.

Been a while since I've stopped in at this forum. Been missing some good stuff! Well done Ken! (as always).

#17 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 23:32

Really wonderful work!

Is there a possibility of providing a pocket clip?

Thanks!   I don't think I will likely try to make a clipped pen - at least not with the True Bamboo.  Perhaps the one made from a bamboo blank....

Flaming gives the material a very rich patina, and garnet thread complements it perfectly. If you could find a color match for the garnet thread, I think I'd go that way with section and end jewels.

Been a while since I've stopped in at this forum. Been missing some good stuff! Well done Ken! (as always).

Thanks, Robert!  I might give the matching acrylic components a go in the future...

Cheers,

Ken

#18 Inspector

Inspector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:59

You are always an inspiration Ken.

With respect to a clip. I understand your reluctance but if a clip were fashioned to look a bit like one of the loops / rings the fishing line goes through. Can you tell I don't fish? That clip wrapped to the pen would be in keeping with the bamboo, and I think look the part.

Pete

PS. I just took a look at fly rod parts to see what the "loops" were called, fly guides and tops, and saw that the hook keepers looked a lot like a pen clip. Perhaps some SS wire bent along those lines would work?

Edited by Inspector, 06 September 2013 - 09:16.

#19 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2013 - 13:42

You are always an inspiration Ken.

With respect to a clip. I understand your reluctance but if a clip were fashioned to look a bit like one of the loops / rings the fishing line goes through. Can you tell I don't fish? That clip wrapped to the pen would be in keeping with the bamboo, and I think look the part.

Pete

PS. I just took a look at fly rod parts to see what the "loops" were called, fly guides and tops, and saw that the hook keepers looked a lot like a pen clip. Perhaps some SS wire bent along those lines would work?

Thanks very much, Pete!

I don't think I will add anything to these 'True Bamboo' pens, but to my taste, your thoughts about using something 'fishing rod-like' is right on the mark for the pen I recently made out of a bamboo blank (OK, cutting board...), and in fact, I have been on the lookout for some appropriate wire (may need to hit the hobby store) that I can fashion into a clip.  Ideally, it would be somewhat similar to the Lamy Safari wire clips, only narrower, and secured to the end of the cap by another thread wrap, as it would be on a fly fishing rod.

Appreciate the thoughts!

Cheers,

Ken

#20 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:41

the darker version definitely looks much better than the rest.  then again, i'm bias.  i like dark-colored woods.

-rudy-

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bamboo, thread wrap, custom

Sponsored Content

|