What Parker Are You Using This Day?

Rockyrod

Ruth, I think this is an unusual colour for a Vector, I believe it was a type of 'optional' colour, so not available in many shops in 1998/'99, (I'm thinking that online shopping had not started then.)

Also, it's a colour that many people wouldn't buy, although of course it would be a favorite for some too.

I have noticed that the lilac rollerball Vectors do show up online, so it might be easier to convert a roller to a fountain pen.

The only (slight) problem is that the inside of the cap has to be swapped over too, but it's not so tricky, given a pin, star screwdriver and about 15 minutes of time.

I've been running into the "unusual color" issue with my first Vector, which is cobalt blue. The barrel has cracked, right where the threads are -- so I'm not sure it's repairable. I had hoped to get a replacement barrel from Susan Wirth when I was down in Raleigh last month, only to be told that all the blue barrels she had were different. I've considered getting a rollerball to try and convert, but have had the same issue with the ones I've seen on eBay -- I can't tell for certain if they're the "same" blue.

Assuming that I go that route eventually, just what is involved with swapping the insides of the cap? And what is a star screwdriver? I'm familiar with standard (i.e., flat), Phillips, hex and square headed ones -- although the square ones are hard to find (I needed one to tighten up the frame on a Leclerc Dorothy 4-harness table loom that I bought used about 25 years ago).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Eduardo

• inkstainedruth

• william2001

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to see this carmine looking Argentina made 51 of yours. Are there chances you would show us the pen?

I will try to make a pic of it with my tablet.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

@ Ruth, the insides are the inner caps. And to do the conversion you just need a paper pin to lift the thin cap top and a small squareheaded screwdriver to unscrew the inner caps. Swap the inner caps and a rollerball cap would become a fountain pen cap.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I would like to see this carmine looking Argentina made 51 of yours. Are there chances you would show us the pen?

Argentina made 51 (Lustraloy) and English bloody burgundy:

fpn_1469050640__hpim1327.jpg

Black 51, US Burgundy pencil, Plum 51, Argentina Burgundy, English Burgundy, Kullock 45:

fpn_1469050618__hpim1329.jpg

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Here is a Vector fountain pen cap taken apart.

The 'Star' or Philips head screw is covered by a small vinyl or paper sticker which is lifted off with a pin.

Then the screw is removed. The clip will pull out of the side of the cap, and the black liner will fall out.

The liners are different for each type of pen (fountain & roller) and will not click onto the wrong one, the caps are all the same though.

So converting a rollerball to a fountain pen is fairly simple, as long as you can find the right coloured parts of course.

Regarding the blue Vectors, I know of 2 shades of blue, very dark, as with my '92 UK version, and then the lighter blue (Cobalt?) that is the current production colour.

I know there are dozens of other colours and patterns of Vectors, plus advertiisng pens, 'giveaways' etc, but this means there are plenty of cheap Vectors to repair the ones we prefer.

Edited by Mike 59

Argentina made 51 (Lustraloy) and English bloody burgundy:

fpn_1469050640__hpim1327.jpg

Black 51, US Burgundy pencil, Plum 51, Argentina Burgundy, English Burgundy, Kullock 45:

fpn_1469050618__hpim1329.jpg

Thank you pajaro for taking the pain to show us the Argentina burgundy 51. Interesting color. Hope I would find one. I thought I have completed all the 51 colors. But now I know there are others still to be had. Thank you once again.

The Kullock 45 is simply beautiful.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The 51 made in Argentina I bought on ebay from a seller in Argentina, Buenos Aires, I think. The pen would not write. I spent a lot of time trying to remove the hood to check it out. I never could get it off, no matter how much heat. Recently I remembered discussions about hood clearance with respect to the nib. I put a shim between the hood and nib, and pulled it out. Now the pen writes perfectly.

Reading through discussions here which might not seem relevant might someday help out after all.

Sorry I couldn't find a USA Burgundy 51 for comparison. I might have sold or traded all of those. They were so dark that I must have gotten rid of them and the dark green ones also.

Edited by pajaro

A vey nice broad nibbed English Duofold NS that I just restored. The pen lookss to be very very dark brown. Almost black. But when I look closely it looks chocolat brown. A superb writer. Loaded with quink blue.

Khan M. Ilyas

My two golden black ladies...

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/edulpj/IMG_20160726_132328_edit_1469550235314_zpsn98qvztq.jpg

Parker 51 Vacumatic (left)

Parker 51 Aerometric (right)

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

My two golden black ladies...

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/edulpj/IMG_20160726_132328_edit_1469550235314_zpsn98qvztq.jpg

Parker 51 Vacumatic (left)

Parker 51 Aerometric (right)

Very nice pens.

These are pretty much static, rotation-wise: Parker 45 Desk Set, both with "X" nibs. Black 45 Coronet with "A" nib, and burgundy English-made 45 with "A" nib.

fpn_1469720517__dailyparkers.jpg

Nice P45's Wjeverly! I use a P45 desk pen everyday with much pleasure.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Today it's been the blue 45 with what I think is an OM nib, sporting De Atramentis Red Roses (the pen is a dry writer, and a wet ink helps it); and one of the Vectors I got last spring off eBay in the "Second Chance Offer" -- this one is sort of avocado green, with an F nib and a new twist converter, and newly filled with Akkerman #10 Ijzer-Galnoten blauw/zwart.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Nice P45's Wjeverly! I use a P45 desk pen everyday with much pleasure.

Thank you. I think everybody should :)

Today it's been the blue 45 with what I think is an OM nib, sporting De Atramentis Red Roses (the pen is a dry writer, and a wet ink helps it); and one of the Vectors I got last spring off eBay in the "Second Chance Offer" -- this one is sort of avocado green, with an F nib and a new twist converter, and newly filled with Akkerman #10 Ijzer-Galnoten blauw/zwart.

I've learned that red inks are not necessarily a good idea for vintage pens, but the beauty of Parker 45's is that they're so easy to clean! I keep Waterman's "Red Ink" in one of the desk 45's; it gets a lot of use because of the nature of my note-taking while I work.

Edited by wjeverly

While I decided to bring out my absolute best pen - a teal Parker 51 aero - for a few days, I also have an Argentine Parker 45 at home that I'm playing with. I finally found a converter to fit.

Parker 51 teal medium. I've had it for twenty years and not used it before.

A 51 Aero Demi in burgundy, gold-filled cap, with a medium nib. This could become a favorite pen. I haven't owned it for very long. Let us see what happens.

A 75 Custom, gold-plated cap, burgundy barrel, medium nib. I've owned this for only about a week, and it has a long way to go before it finds its proper place among my pens.