• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Eduardo

• inkstainedruth

• william2001

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker Vector with a cracked cap. Came to me with a group of donor pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Recieved a junk lot the other day with what turned out to be what I had hoped - a nice '49 Aero in Burgundy. Not the primary reason for buying the lot, but a nice bonus. Pay a price based on worst case scenario - smile when hunches bear fruit. Whoever used it last, back in 1960-something, was kind enough to flush it before they relegated it the desk drawer. Whatever they replaced it with is probably long gone, while the "51" lives again.

-Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

Nice

Recieved a junk lot the other day with what turned out to be what I had hoped - a nice '49 Aero in Burgundy. Not the primary reason for buying the lot, but a nice bonus. Pay a price based on worst case scenario - smile when hunches bear fruit. Whoever used it last, back in 1960-something, was kind enough to flush it before they relegated it the desk drawer. Whatever they replaced it with is probably long gone, while the "51" lives again.

-Bob

Nice going! I'm now wondering what you were aiming for in the lot, if a Burgundy 51 Aero is a "bonus".... ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: For me it's an newly restored Azure Blue Pearl Vac Sub-Debutante, with Waterman Serenity Blue. I'm trying to get at least one more pen flushed out before playing with the Speedline Filler Azure Blue Pearl (I think it's a Debutante, but the number of sizes of Vacs is just crazy) I got at the Ohio Pen Show a couple of weekends ago (the Sub-Deb is a 3rd generation model with the plastic plunger).

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A navy blue Parker 45 Custom fountain pen with gold-filled cap and 14K fine nib, loaded with Pelikan 4001 Turqoise ink.

(Also used my two other Parkers, a dark red 45 mechanical pencil and a stainless steel CT Jotter to compare their way of writing and comfort compared to the 45 fountain pen.)

A VP that I assembled from parts. I picked up a P61 that was in really sorry state only for the VP cap that it had. Earlier I had received a capless Red VP in a lot of Parker Parts that had the filler broken from under the sacguard with the narrow fragile tube that goes into the nib section intact and that I repaired. I am curious as to how the part that is so brittle and frigile sustained the powefull jolt :) that broke the filler from under the sacguard.

Khan M. Ilyas

My 51 Plum Demi, M nib, which got put back into rotation a couple of days ago (but I've been without internet access since Friday evening until just over an hour ago). Ink is De Atramentis Aubergine. Thought it was a little too wet at first, but now seems to be settling in nicely.

:notworthy1: to whoever it was that suggested that combo to Lloyd in another thread recently -- the color match seems spot on.

Over the weekend, there were a variety of other pens used:

Parker Vacumatic (Red Shadow Wave Junior, Lockdown filler, F nib) with Waterman Mysterious Blue.

Parker Vacumatic (Azure Blue Pearl Debutante[?], (Speedline filler, F-ish nib) with what may or may not be vintage Quink Microfilm Black -- on better paper it looked a LOT bluer than even I remembered....

Parker Vacumatic (Azure Blue Pearl Sub-Debutante, 3rd Generation, F? nib) with Waterman Serenity Blue.

Parker Vector (Pink, F nib) with Noodler's Shah's Rose.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My 51 Plum Demi, M nib, which got put back into rotation a couple of days ago (but I've been without internet access since Friday evening until just over an hour ago). Ink is De Atramentis Aubergine. Thought it was a little too wet at first, but now seems to be settling in nicely.

:notworthy1: to whoever it was that suggested that combo to Lloyd in another thread recently -- the color match seems spot on.

Good to know. So far I have used Robert Oster Purple Rock in mine, but the pen is so wet that the ink doesn't suggest purple at all. And I have a bottle of Diamine Grape but have found it to be a rather naughty ink and would never use it in My Precious.

Today it was the Azure Blue Pearl Speedline filler Vac (F nib) that I was using over the weekend, and the Pink Vector. Same inks as in yesterday's post.

Starting to like the Speedline more and more (my other Azure Blue Pearl is the Sub-Deb size, and just a little on the small size after using the Major and Juniors; but, it was my first Vac, so I'm a little sentimental...).

I just got a navy grey 51 from eBay. It has an oblique nib. Possibly an oblique italic somewhere between medium and broad? It's good fun but it would have seen more use if it were fine or medium. It is a very smooth nib.

Ciselle sonnet with broad 18k nib using éclat de saphir.

Smooth and fairly wet. Beautiful writer.

Always have t 180 broad inked as well.

Today it's a black Duette (Thrift Time) with some Sheaffer Royal Blue. Fun pen.

Tomorrow, it might be the Parker 51 aero that I got for $12, and looks to be in really nice shape.

Have inked today two aero 51s out of three that I assembled from a lot of Parker parts that I bought for around $20. The lot included 51 caps with broken clips, 51 caps with no jewels, barrels, hoods, connectors, complete filler units , collectors, feeds and a lot more parts of some other Parker models. I already had some spare clips, jewels, nibs and sacs in my part box. I put in one of the so assembled 51s a English made Parker 61 broad stub nib. And it is now one of the best writing 51 of mine.

Khan M. Ilyas

Good Parker day for me today- new arrivals a lovely p65 stratus and a pair of p45s, both with gold nibs one boxed with instructions someone had written the date -28/12/1970 and fine italic- the nib is marked with a C on the back and is a lovely crisp italic smooth as they come if you take care, the other a fine writing nib marked as medium- and less than £4 each (the p65 was quite a bit more expensive though!).

Tony

• 2 weeks later...