Quality (Fp Friendly) American Made Notebooks

Keyless Works

Do they exist?

There are a lot of Japanese and European notebooks that I love but American notebooks? I can't say that I have had any.

I like Field Notes but I wont buy them again as they are not fountain pen friendly. Does anyone have experience with Crane & Co notebooks? I know their card stock is excellent.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keyless Works

• Larry T

• BillZ

• pepsiplease69

Black N'Red? Are they made in the US or in Canada? Not sure. But they work well if you are using a fine point and not planning on using both sides of the paper consistently.

Much Love--Virginia

Mine is made in Poland. Produced by Hamelin Brands Ltd., part of the Oxford Group and distributed by Mead here in the States. Complicated corporate family tree but perhaps Mead's involvement makes it come close to American made?

California Republic Palomino notebooks are great. Since CalRep has their pencils made in Japan, the paper is probably Japanese, but the notebooks are US dimensions. Typical composition-book sizw...not A4 (too big for a notebook) or A5 (too small).

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I picked up when they had their sale a few weeks ago at Office Depot some composition books that are Made in USA that seem to be pretty decent. Haven't used them a lot yet, but got both some Brazil and USA's and they seem comparable.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Roaring Spring makes composition books and notebooks in the US.

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

Anyone have any experience with Shinola's journals? They look nice and a re priced in line with other journals. The leather journal cover looks wonderful BUT $155 is a little steep for me?

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Anyone have any experience with Shinola's journals? They look nice and a re priced in line with other journals. The leather journal cover looks wonderful BUT $155 is a little steep for me?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/247915-shinola-journal/?hl=shinola

I reviewed the Shinola journals, linked above, a while back. Very nice stuff.

Larry

You might investigate Ecosystems Journals. They come in several formats and sizes. You'll find them at Barnes and Noble or on line. There are a few reviews here, with the newer reviews the most pertinent.

Larry,

Thanks for the link. I searched after I posted-DUH! They do look nice. And FP friendly which is most important.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

oblationpapers.com , their Occasional Diary

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

• 2 years later...

If you are still looking for an American made journal, you might try Creative Blok journals out of Arizona. The pages are 6 by 9, while the journal is 6.5 by 9 as there is a place along the spine for storing a pen. Stitched, lay flat, etc. Only 128 pages (64 leafs). Decent paper, little or no bleed through (i write on both sides). They are $25 each.

I bought two back in October and started using one around Thanksgiving.

In the past, i used Canson sketch journals which gave me almost twice as many pages. Wish the Creative Bloks had more pages.

I believe the following are all US made ( please chime in if I'm incorrect)

Gallery Leather ( Maine )

Peter and Paul

Paperblanks

All available at barnes and noble.

Other options might be

Baron and Fig

Franlin Christoph

TWSBI

Writepads

I would also recommend supporting individual US based artisan bookbinders who might import their paper from abroad (eg. Tomoe River) but at least it is assembled here. You're supporting a specialized US industry that way.

Steve Curnow bookbinding and leather work is an excellent source.

I'm a fan of TOPS Computation Books. They seem to be American made, but they may be bigger than what you're looking for.

I believe the following are all US made ( please chime in if I'm incorrect)

Gallery Leather ( Maine )

Peter and Paul

Paperblanks

All available at barnes and noble.

Other options might be

Baron and Fig

Franlin Christoph

TWSBI

Writepads

I would also recommend supporting individual US based artisan bookbinders who might import their paper from abroad (eg. Tomoe River) but at least it is assembled here. You're supporting a specialized US industry that way.

Steve Curnow bookbinding and leather work is an excellent source.

Curnow will make whatever you like and has significant TR, HP32# inventory. Their work will be passed down to your grandkids. So decide Am paper??, Am Assembly and design, Am sold. Much like cars really. I personally buy Curnow Backpocket Journals on FaceBook and believe my real money is going towards an American developed and assembled product. They write "good" too.

Edited by goatgolfer

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....