Uhhhhh.... Can Someone Explain How This Happened?

MikeyW

Ha! Thanks for the great input (and the enabling) guys!

She's pretty good about my spending (as long as it's within reason) and you're all spot on - she has more than a few purchases herself.....

Hahaha HeyMatthew - that's a pretty generous offer of you sir!

Ruth - That's a great thought! She keeps saying that she doesn't think fountain pens are her cup of tea (she does love a nice ballpoint though) - any suggestions on a nice 'lady friendly' fountain pen that I could surprise her with?? She likes slimmer pens and she's more of a burgundy girl than a pink girl. She loves vintage/antique and art deco things. Also, and I know this sounds terrible, but considering it's not something she's overly in to I know she'd wind up being more annoyed than impressed if I spent a considerable sum (that and I just recently bought her a brand new Aurora Optima Emerald Marble Ball pen which she loves but doesn't use all that often).

Oh and Mesu - Don't worry my friend, the shredder has already been hard at work!!!!

Mike :lol:

If she likes Art Deco, then obviously she needs a restored Parker Vacumatic, maybe in some smaller size. I think burgundy was one of the earlier colors (mine is blue -- probably the Debutante size -- which is a later color apparently, but that's okay: I wanted the color more than the "status" of having an earlier dated model; but the Silver Pearl ones are also pretty).

Otherwise, I would suggest a burgundy 51 (it should be less expensive than some -- being, IIRC, one of the more common colors for 51s). And if you get an Aerometric the odds are good that it won't need a lot of repairs to start with, since the sac might still be in great shape.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeyW

• heymatthew

• inkstainedruth

• Plume145

Being the gentleman you are, treat her as usual, as a queen, and tell her that you saved her the pain of choosing a Xmas gift for you.

Write a nice love letter, take her out for dinner and a movie, maybe dancing, the rest is up to you.

At least I hope this works for me when my wife finds out my recently purchased 1970's MB 146.

Cheers,

G

Gilberto Castañeda

Hiding stuff, including receipts is playing with dynamite. I tried it once.

My wife found a receipt or document of some sort indicating an expenditure of ... Well, it was less than $1K. After a week of grueling interrogation, dirty looks and accusations of irresponsible spendthriftness (spendthrifthood? Whatever.), I capitulated and showed her the bespoke, handmade, rare woods jewelry box I had had made for her as an upcoming anniversary present.

David

Tell her you are practicing pretty writing for love letters.

That one actually worked out pretty well for me :lol:

Be proud, show it to your girlfriend and enjoy your pen as much as you can. She will punish you, both talking about irresponsibility and your future, and after "only" 6 or 10 months of depression, you will be fine again, waiting for some more sushi and a new pen. Its a win win situation, she will enjoy the lesson and you will have a new pen to enjoy. By the way, very nice pen, enjoy it

I guess it depends who you love more...the pen or your GF.

:D

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Tell her you were planning on hand-copying as many ancient love stories as you could possibly find... but some quick calculations made you realise that you would have spent more money on massive reams of expensive paper and scented inks, so you just decided to buy yourself a pen and save you both the financial trouble :D

You should also emphasise that the ink was free. I mean, come on, flagrant spending is completely justified as long as you get free stuff.

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin

Just be sure to support her in HER indulgences, (and hope they don't cost more than yours)

If her indlugences cost more, you simply arent trying hard enough.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Aren't these just awesome? I love my two Phileas, even though I'm supposed to be rotating almost all of my pens somehow they end up filled more often than not! Pretty sure it will be the same for you, these things are mildly addictive (oh, and pssst - the Fine nib's just as smooooth!)

These are also the only FP I've spotted in a movie. It was one of those sci-fi western things, a foxy female bank teller pulls it out to write some kind of secret message to prevent a bank robbery or something!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

The Esterbrook suggestion for your GF is a great one. Another vintage option that should be inexpensive (I'm sure each of mine was $25-30) is a Merlin 33. A bit tinier than my Esties, but good color, and both were NOS. At this point, I'm not sure where to tell you to look for one, though. I've had both of mine for several years. The second one came from a pen/record shop in Columbus Ohio, near Clintonville neighborhood I believe. I think the owner's name is Jack, for what that is worth in searching him out.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, great suggestions, and good advice!!

I'm really loving writing with my new Phileas - in fact, I'm enjoying it so much that I used it to write her a love letter in which I gently broke the news I'd bought the pen! I hid it in her desk at work (we work together) and when she read it she came in to my office, kissed me, then hit me on the arm and told me with a laugh that I'm absolutely hopeless at saving money!!

So, all's well that ends well!

Have a great day,

Mike :D

Oh - also, I showed her some beautiful examples online of Esterbrooks, Parker Vacs, 51s, and Merlins. She thought they were all very 'cool' & 'good looking' but said she's still fine without one just now :( ...... Looks like i'll have to keep working on her to cave to this thing she calls 'my new addiction' - she still doesn't seem to get it hahaha.......

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" - Sir Winston Churchill.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, great suggestions, and good advice!!

I'm really loving writing with my new Phileas - in fact, I'm enjoying it so much that I used it to write her a love letter in which I gently broke the news I'd bought the pen! I hid it in her desk at work (we work together) and when she read it she came in to my office, kissed me, then hit me on the arm and told me with a laugh that I'm absolutely hopeless at saving money!!

So, all's well that ends well!

Have a great day,

Oh - also, I showed her some beautiful examples online of Esterbrooks, Parker Vacs, 51s, and Merlins. She thought they were all very 'cool' & 'good looking' but said she's still fine without one just now :( ...... Looks like i'll have to keep working on her to cave to this thing she calls 'my new addiction' - she still doesn't seem to get it hahaha.......

Everything went better than expected. Good job softening the news of your new family member

Cheers

Lone coyote

Black ink? How are you supposed to distinguish the original from a copy?

MikeyW, I live in brisbane as well, was it the penshoppe that you went to in brisbane arcade? Or that penandink shop futher off from queenstreet mall? Do you know of any other places that sell pens btw?

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

MikeyW, I live in brisbane as well, was it the penshoppe that you went to in brisbane arcade? Or that penandink shop futher off from queenstreet mall? Do you know of any other places that sell pens btw?

Hi mrchan - I've sent you a PM.

Cheers,

Mikey :D

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" - Sir Winston Churchill.

At least you arent me with a list of cars i WILL BE buying. There's currently about 75 cars on my need list averaging about 1-5 million dollars each (some are as low as $60,000 and some are as high as $35,000,000)