Noodler's Inks Vs. Lamy 2000 Piston Fill Windows

Cyclopentadiene

Hi all!

Does anyone have any experience using Noodler's more permanent inks in a Lamy 2000?

If so have you noticed any staining to the ink window? I regularly use Noodler's stuff in my cheaper pens but I'm considering buying a Lamy 2000 and wanted to make sure the ink window would stay useable.

Thanks in advance,

Badger

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyclopentadiene

• JEsraelo

• amberleadavis

• Randal6393

I've been using it with Baystate Blue for quite some time now - and no surprise, it's stained very much, but still usable to determine how much ink is left.

No experience with other (bulletproof,...) inks in a Lamy 2000

Greetings,

Michael

I had expected it would stain. My recent ink of choice has been Noodler's Bad Belted king fisher which seems to behave incredibly well considering it's properties. Seems I'll have to keep it confined to my various TWSBIs

My thanks for your reply.

I have Bernanke Black in my Lamy 2000, have gone through Heart of Darkness and Black as well. Still no sign of any staining in the ink window, no problems with pen. Do flush it out occasionally. Great pen-and-ink combination.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Noodler's Black is the primary ink I use with my Lamy 2000. I've been using this combination pretty much daily since I got the pen in February. No staining issues with the ink window yet, and because it's a pen I use daily, I haven't even been particularly careful with pen hygiene.

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

I haven't used BSB or any purples, but all of my other Noodler's have seen regular use in the 2000 with no staining to be seen.

hmm... very interesting. Thanks for the replies people! BBKF is my favourite ink, cracking colour, fairly unique properties, (so far) minimal staining.

My pen budget has been pushed back to the end of the year but hopefully I'll be filling a Lamy 2000 up on new years day :D

Used Noodler's Liberty's Elysium , no harm noticed, but some blueish drops after a heavy rinse. Don't know if I should take it apart to a thoroughly cleaning session.

No staining whatever from Brown #41, Heart of Darkness, Manhattan Blue or Green Marine. Each has been used for months with no flushing, only refilling.

Edited by RobbW

Noodler's Baystate series and North African Violet are infamous for staining. Other Noodlers' inks don't seem any more prone to staining than other inks, though some can be a pain to fully flush from a pen. Noodler's inks vary widely so it is impossible to make accurate generalizations about the brand.

I don't have a Lamy 2000; however, I have used Bad Blue Heron, #41 Brown, and Violet Vote in demonstrators and pens with ink windows and haven't noticed any staining.

My experience, thus far, is that some inks like BSB ir Diamine Hope Pink coat the inside of the window, temporarily staining it. this always seems to go away after several good cleanings with a lesser ink being used. BSB is the worst yet about staining, but imo that is part if the job description of an ink. I'm using a couple other pens, though, not a Lamy.

If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.

Here's my latest progress on getting rid of some stains (although I'm a huge Noodler's fan, not one of the inks in this pen had been Noodler's, so they can't get blamed.).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

BSB stains everything, along with its other odious personal habits. :sick:

Most of the "bulletproof" and "eternal" type inks I've found to be among the least staining inks you can get. They even wash off skin easily. The only thing they bond to is cellulose, in paper or cotton cloth. Violet Vote and regular Noodler's Black are a couple of my favorites in this category, and I'll use them in anything. Luxury Blue, Fox Red and Legal Lapis are good too.

A few of them, such as Bad Belted Kingfisher, Texas Blue Bonnet and La Reine Mauve, tend to leave visible deposits on nibs and feeds. These can be cleaned up with a little effort, but I personally only use those inks in pens that I can easily disassemble and put in the sonic cleaner. Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but it's good for my peace of mind.

If staining is the concern, I'd generally be more wary of Diamine than of Noodler's.

BSB stains everything, along with its other odious personal habits. :sick:

Most of the "bulletproof" and "eternal" type inks I've found to be among the least staining inks you can get. They even wash off skin easily. The only thing they bond to is cellulose, in paper or cotton cloth. Violet Vote and regular Noodler's Black are a couple of my favorites in this category, and I'll use them in anything. Luxury Blue, Fox Red and Legal Lapis are good too.

A few of them, such as Bad Belted Kingfisher, Texas Blue Bonnet and La Reine Mauve, tend to leave visible deposits on nibs and feeds. These can be cleaned up with a little effort, but I personally only use those inks in pens that I can easily disassemble and put in the sonic cleaner. Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but it's good for my peace of mind.

If staining is the concern, I'd generally be more wary of Diamine than of Noodler's.

Funny you should mention that.... all my stains started with Diamine inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I've used both BBH and BBK in my Lamy 2000. I used BBH exclusively in the 2000 for several months, and there's no staining to speak of. It's a good pen and had written well with just about everything I've throw at it.

Buzz

I think the ink window in the L2K is so small that staining wouldn't matter. I use Noodlers Eel routinely without problem. Suggestion: refill everyday with the same ink, whatever you like. You won't need to check the ink-window.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• 2 months later...

Here is the thing, I read folks writing how great the combination is and mostly are using the pen daily. So, what happens, since it is waterproof and not water-based, if one does not use the pen for a couple of weeks? Should I not risk an expensive FP with waterproof inks in general?

thx

PS: I have just got my Visconti Opera and I was concerned about this combination as well.

Edited by JEsraelo

Here is the thing, I read folks writing how great the combination is and mostly are using the pen daily. So, what happens, since it is waterproof and not water-based, if one does not use the pen for a couple of weeks? Should I not risk an expensive FP with waterproof inks in general?

thx

PS: I have just got my Visconti Opera and I was concerned about this combination as well.

Someone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Noodler's (and pretty much all fountain pen ink) is water-based.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.