The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kaweco Sport Classic Or Lamy Safari

kaweco sport lamy safari help me decide kaweco lamy classic matte black

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Vintage Razor

Vintage Razor

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2013 - 23:31

I have several Safari pens and they are daily writers that never fail.

Sponsored Content

#22 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2013 - 23:41

I'll be the maverick here, go for the Kaweco. I love the nib, mine is smoother and has less drag than my Safari. I also had the satisfaction of making mine into a sac filler with an inexpensive #18 clear silicone sac and a dab of shellac. Holds a lot of ink now! I get many compliments on its small size and large capacity. Either way, you won't go wrong. 

+1..  I don't like fine nibs, but my Kaweco Fine is the smoothest nib ever...   I actually do not like the nibs of my Lamys (I have two,  an All Star and a Vista an F and a 1.1).. Nothing really wrong with them... they are just not as good as my Kawecos.  I have 5 Kawecos... nibs range from F all the way to 1.5 Italic... all fantastic.  :wub:   Best pen ever.

Edited by Cyber6, 24 August 2013 - 23:41.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#23 Eyedoc

Eyedoc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 00:01

+1 for Kaweco. Much better nib IMHO and a cooler looking pen, again IMHO. You can buy the nib/front section separately if you want to swap it over later too. The nib on a Kaweco is really firm by the way, put I prefer that. I have owned quite a few Lamys in my time and found the quality of their nibs to vary - a lot.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give - Winston Churchill

#24 fncll

fncll

King of Cheapies

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 00:04

I'd go with the Safari *because* of the grip and the swappable nibs.

If you go with the Kaweco, it is a good candidate to be quickly made into an eyedropper:

http://katexic.com/clippings/
Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

#25 fncll

fncll

King of Cheapies

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 00:05

I'd go with the Safari *because* of the grip and the swappable nibs.

If you go with the Kaweco, it's easy to convert to an eyedropper that holds a good bit of ink:

http://katexic.com/clippings/
Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

#26 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:52

I have the Al Star - to use someone else's phrase, it has a more "grown up" look. Rather than the ABS plastic the Safari is made from it is made of Aluminum. Otherwise, they are virtually identical. The Al Star comes in Aluminum, Black, Graphite, Pearl, Purple,Ocean Blue. From Goulet Pen's (satisfied customer) it is about $8 more.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#27 nigeldsouza

nigeldsouza

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:27

Wow!!! Thank you for your response FPNer's!! 

Though I want to have both pens in my collection, it looks like I may probably buy the Lamy Safari first because it suits my criteria and there are pen shops in Mumbai where I can test drive one. Will probably have to put off the Kawco Sport for a few months. 

Thank you once again for your advice..Ill make sure I post pictures when I do buy it :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kaweco sport, lamy safari, help me decide, kaweco, lamy, classic, matte black

Sponsored Content

|