The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kaweco Sport Classic Or Lamy Safari

kaweco sport lamy safari help me decide kaweco lamy classic matte black

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 nigeldsouza

nigeldsouza

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:25

Hello FPN!!

I've had my eye on two pens for quite a while and have finally decided to go ahead with a purchase. My problem is my budget restricts me to only be able to buy one of these for now. I have to choose between The Kaweco Sport Classic and the Lamy Safari in matte black, both with fine nibs.

Which one would your'l suggest I get because I really cant put my finger on which one I seem to like more. Im looking for a smooth writing, everyday pen. I may also later on want to fiddle around and fit it with a stub nib.

Im hoping your'l can help me make a better decision :)

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by nigeldsouza, 23 August 2013 - 06:22.

Sponsored Content

#2 theadityajain

theadityajain

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:35

Lamy Safari

#3 Nate_Emmi

Nate_Emmi

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:42

LAMY Safari. It's a better "workhorse" pen and swapping nibs on it couldn't be easier. I've got both, and the Kaweco has some issues starting sometimes and can dry out/ get skippy when writing, the Safari has never skipped. Also, the Safari has a converter, something the smaller Kaweco does not. 

#4 Xeros

Xeros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:26

I would say the Lamy Safari if you don't mind the grip section.

#5 andreamcantu

andreamcantu

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:29

Lamy Safari for sure.

#6 gmax

gmax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:30

I have both, but if I could have only one then it would be the Lamy Safari. It's easy to clean, the nib is good and can be changed later on and the pen holds a standard Lamy converter to allow use of bottled ink.

#7 xwingrox

xwingrox

Still Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:27

I would save up your money and just get both.

#8 DarkSymphony

DarkSymphony

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:06

I'm a big fan of the Safari. Had a Vista (the transparent Safari) as one of my first FPs back in school and loved it to death.

#9 smiorgan

smiorgan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:27

Matt black safari would be my choice. Textured finish feels much more "grown up" than the other Safaris, or the Kaweco, and will handle abuse much better. Good converter too, and you can play with nibs. I use an oblique medium with mine and the grip is perfect.

Go for the Kaweco if you need to put your pen in a trouser pocket, or want something without a clip, or you must use international short cartridges. Otherwise the Safari edges it.

I must say my mum preferred the Kaweco because of how the nib looked, but I think both have their charms.

#10 chris.hale

chris.hale

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:13

Lamy Safari, the lack of a converter for the Kaweco is a deal breaker for me. I know you can refill cartridges with a syringe, but it's a hassle.

#11 Tresconik

Tresconik

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:24

Safari. Changing the nibs is very easy.
Also, since you're in India, don't buy it online. Go where you can check the nib, and make sure you can get a smooth one.

#12 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:37

I'll be the maverick here, go for the Kaweco. I love the nib, mine is smoother and has less drag than my Safari. I also had the satisfaction of making mine into a sac filler with an inexpensive #18 clear silicone sac and a dab of shellac. Holds a lot of ink now! I get many compliments on its small size and large capacity. Either way, you won't go wrong. 

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

#13 KateB_tps

KateB_tps

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:36

I vote for Lamy Safari- I have many of them and love them! They've never let me down! They are great writers, excellent every day pens!

I have a Kaweco Ice Sport, unfortunately only the ink roller version, but the body is the same as the fountain pen version. I'm guessing you are a guy, so theoretically your hands would be bigger than mine (I'm a girl), so the Kaweco might be a bit too small for your hands. In contrast to what the others are saying, there is a converter available for the Kaweco Sport range, but it doesn't hold much ink. 

#14 SnorriRafn

SnorriRafn

Fountain Pen Viking

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:43

Both are really good but if I had to choose only one I'd go with the Safari.

#15 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 15:44

I prefer the Kaweco for me. But if you want to change nibs, the Safari will be easier. If you can, look at both and handle them as the ergonomics of each could be an issue. The triangular grip of the Safari might be a problem. The shorter size of the Kaweco also might be.

I almost always have a Kaweco inked and in my pants pocket (I have several). I've found the nibs to be as reliable as the Lamy nibs. I just really like pocket pens.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#16 Elizabeth in NJ

Elizabeth in NJ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:31

Do you like triangular grips? 

The triangular grip on the Safari is a dealbreaker for me.

#17 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 19:13

I couldn't do without either: both are dear to my heart. I use the Safari every day as a work pen. I own several of them, and several Sports. If I had to pick one it would be the Sport, only because the cartridges would be easier to find. And no other $25 pen has a nib as juicy and sweet as a Sport BB.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#18 Senecabud

Senecabud

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 22:29

Another vote for the Safari for all the reasons already mentioned.  I love all four of mine, and using either cartridges or converters is convenient, as well as changing nibs.

Pat Trent - The photo is my dog, Seneca

#19 dadspens

dadspens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2013 - 19:50

Wow. So many Safari lovers!

I have both, and I NEVER use the Safari. I don't like it at all. Mostly because of that ridiculous grip section that dictates where and how you should hold it, but also, beyond that issue, the pen is just 'meh' for me. It's OK, but not great, and certainly not great enough to overcome that three sided grip design. That kills it for me.

The Kaweco Sport Classic is my Every Day Carry in the pants pocket pen. It's not necessarily what I use at home, but when I leave the house, it's the only one I take with me. Small and portable, perfect size when posted, reliable, and really smooth. I bought it thinking it'd be just another inexpensive pen in my collection for occasional use, but it immediately went to the top of my rotation. I use a syringe to fill the cartridge, which I find kinda fun to do.

In fact, I'll trade you my Safari. Make me an offer! Mine's white with a medium nib and a converter. It works perfectly fine, I just never use it.

Bottom line though, get both!

Can I borrow your pen?

#20 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2013 - 19:57

More of a clip fan here and like a longer pen with out having to post so the Safari all the way for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kaweco sport, lamy safari, help me decide, kaweco, lamy, classic, matte black

Sponsored Content

|