Richard Binder Nib Treatment.

rumbleroar

I can also speak very highly of Richard Binder's nibs and service. Although you've already bought your VP and supported your local B&M, remember that Richard and his team are icons do the FP community. I enjoy supporting their business as well.

I have 2 VPs, an M800, an Onoto Winston Churchill, and some vintage pens from Richard's store. It's an honor to support him as well because his service is second to none, and his products are a cut above the rest.

Buzz

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TimGirdler

• Indy_Pen_Dance

• JefferyS

• rumbleroar

I'm glad that you found the VP to your liking, but like many others have said .. Richard's nibs are top notch. I have to admit that I was trained to do nibs by Richard so do them very similarly (remember every nib is a hand made object so can be slightly different), but before he trained me I had ALL of my Pelikan nibs done by Richard and have everything from an XF full flex to stubs, cursive italics and even a Condor. I love every one of them and wouldn't have enjoyed my pens nearly so much without them. Treat yourself at some point to one of the best nibmeisters around and get a little something from Richardspens, you won't be sorry!

Linda

I've purchased four pens from Richard and all are simply perfect in how they write.

I also have a Bexley with a F nib from I-P-D; its Lindarized :D nib is also without fault.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I've purchased four pens from Richard and all are simply perfect in how they write.

I also have a Bexley with a F nib from I-P-D; its Lindarized :D nib is also without fault.

"Lindarized?" LOVE. IT. !!!!!!!!

She is definitely worthy of her own "distinction."

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

"Lindarized?" LOVE. IT. !!!!!!!!

She is definitely worthy of her own "distinction."

Tim

Now I know that Pendleton is called PendtonTunned. So among us, Tim, what we should call nibs that you perfect. THere are some interesting names that the community here in Singapore is calling the nibs I work on.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

Now I know that Pendleton is called PendtonTunned. So among us, Tim, what we should call nibs that you perfect. THere are some interesting names that the community here in Singapore is calling the nibs I work on.

I also love the "Pendletuned" thing...we should expect that level of whimsey from Pendleton!

A couple of my clients have referred to my nib treatment as "Girdlerizing."

Tim

I think it's mostly a question of flow, as Binder adjusts nibs wetter than you usually get from the factory. I like the result, but I wouldn't call it the night-and-day difference that some folks make it sound like.

When I got my New Postal Jr pen, the nib was a mess. I sent it back, and Richard Binder fixed it and apologized for it not being right the first time. So... You can get a bad pen from anyone, but service is what ultimately matters. You can rely on Binder to provide good service.

With regard to the VP... In my experience, Pilot's quality control is among the best anywhere, and the VP nibs I've had were perfect just as they came from the factory. (They're a bit "soft" for me, but that's merely a matter of taste.)

Hi,

After receiving two of Richard's M200 nibs set to their 'shop standard' wetness of 6/10, when I bought a pen from his monthly offerings of restored pens, I asked to have the nib adjusted to a wetness of 4/10. I found the F-M nib was very smooth even with a slightly dry ink

For those who like a dry nib for use on highly absorbent paper and/or to run a wet ink, such tuning seems a good option.

Perhaps the benefit of a hand-tuned nib is most apparent when departs from 'normal' width, wetness & shape that typically come out of the box.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I've been reading richardspens.com and learning lots as I try to figure out what real pen to buy. His site is great.

I also found this news clip showing his shop. It's a neat clip and makes me that much more impressed. He seems to have a great attitude toward the work he does

New Hampshire Chronicle visits Richard Binder at the Nashua Pen Spa

.... I have to admit that I was trained to do nibs by Richard ...

Don't know why you would 'have to admit' you trained under RB's tutelage...most of us would be delighted to be one of his students.

Still, you must have been one of his star pupils, Linda...at the last pen show I attended, I overheard Richard referring shoppers needing nib work to your table.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I bought an EF Aurora from Richard, and it is extremely smooth. It is really worth it. I don't like a nib with any tooth, and he is my favorite nib-meister.

Slightly off topic but I have looked through his site and I dont see any mention of Aurora nibs...maybe I am looking in the wrong place but I would love to buy one.

Slightly off topic but I have looked through his site and I dont see any mention of Aurora nibs...maybe I am looking in the wrong place but I would love to buy one.

Sadly, Richard stopped selling the Aurora line of pens a year or so ago. Not sure why.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I've had mixed luck with Mr. Binder's treatment. Let me start with the good. He made a fine stub for me, as part of the Bexley Corona packaged deal. It's an amazing nib! Smooth, wet, good line variation. I did have to send it back at first because it was too dry, but now, I love it. I loved it so much, I asked for a medium stub of the same kind of steel nib. This one, I don't like at all. It's inconsistent in terms of flow. I don't use it anymore.

Early on, I bought a Pelikan M400 with a gold Medium nib. It came kind of scratchy. I sent it back, and asked for no Binderization. It came back perfect.

Still, I plan to continue buying from him, as I do from nibs.com. Sometimes, the nib mesiter's touch is required. These two are the best in the business.

My mixed luck, I must point out, is evidence of how personal nibs are, and how difficult it is to please everyone.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Don't know why you would 'have to admit' you trained under RB's tutelage...most of us would be delighted to be one of his students.

Still, you must have been one of his star pupils, Linda...at the last pen show I attended, I overheard Richard referring shoppers needing nib work to your table.

That was certainly not intended as a slight of any kind. Not only am I delighted to have had the good fortune to train under Richard's tutelage, I feel that I have been truly blessed to have been able to do so. I continue to learn from Richard all the time - he is a fountain of information and it is impossible to soak it all in at one sitting. I used that figure of speech so that folks would know that I'm not just a "satisfied customer" so to speak. Although, I have been and believe I will continue to be that as well. I just know that many of our posters here always point out that they have no "affiliation" and I can't say that in the absolute sense. While I don't benefit from sending a customer Richard's way, I certainly have a rather biased opinion.

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate hearing that! I try very hard to live up to the standards that Richard instilled in my during my training and while I know that there will be times that something is not 199% perfect, I try to keep that from being the case with each and every nib I touch. I would like to think that Richard feels comfortable in sending people my way because he knows that I won't take something I don't feel that I can do well as I wouldn't want to risk someone's favored pen or just do a so-so job. I think of each of these pens as if they were my own and want to give them the best.

:)

Linda

That was certainly not intended as a slight of any kind. Not only am I delighted to have had the good fortune to train under Richard's tutelage, I feel that I have been truly blessed to have been able to do so. I continue to learn from Richard all the time - he is a fountain of information and it is impossible to soak it all in at one sitting. I used that figure of speech so that folks would know that I'm not just a "satisfied customer" so to speak. Although, I have been and believe I will continue to be that as well. I just know that many of our posters here always point out that they have no "affiliation" and I can't say that in the absolute sense. While I don't benefit from sending a customer Richard's way, I certainly have a rather biased opinion.

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate hearing that! I try very hard to live up to the standards that Richard instilled in my during my training and while I know that there will be times that something is not 199% perfect, I try to keep that from being the case with each and every nib I touch. I would like to think that Richard feels comfortable in sending people my way because he knows that I won't take something I don't feel that I can do well as I wouldn't want to risk someone's favored pen or just do a so-so job. I think of each of these pens as if they were my own and want to give them the best.

:)

Linda

As the other one of Richard's students...I'll add that Linda's work is phenomenal.

She and her husband, Mike, are both quite excellent at what they do. I would trust any pen or any nib to Linda and I would send anyone to Linda and Mike.

Quite simply, there are no better people to deal with.

Tim