The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Duofold Or Parker Premier

parker duofold premier

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 18:34

As a guy who has to repair pens on a regular basis, I think that the Duofold is a much better pen.  Better quality, materials that won't pit or corrode when exposed to ink, lighter with better balance.  Some of the newer Parkers (Sonnet is one example) are not well made, not made to be repaired at all.  You can break down a Duofold and replace parts in many cases.  The modern Premier looks more like one pressed and glued together, where the manuals say "replace...."

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

#22 wspohn

wspohn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 18:39

Agree with Ron - modern Premier....meh.

Original was an excellent pen!

Bill Spohn
Vancouver BC
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp
Posted Image

#23 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 00:37

Original was an excellent pen!

Seems to be a theme with modern pens.  Borrow the name and the "history" but make it in China and hope that the public won't notice the difference.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#24 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 00:52

Yeah , I meant the original Premier. Not the modern Chinese one.
Khan M. Ilyas

#25 dojocho

dojocho

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2015 - 19:22

Duofold.

Whether it's a 90's flattop or a modern streamline it's a stunning beauty with excellent characteristics. I agree with all the previous reactions (especially Richard's) concerning the quality and writing experience of the Duofold. Besides that, for me the Duofold is the most beautiful pen. It's the one pen that made me go 'WOAW' when I first saw it (at the end of the 80's), its classic design is as timeless as a Greek collumn.

The Premier looks Chinese cheap and feels Chinese unpleasant to me at quite a higher price tag, but as always: de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

regards,

Hugo

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe. Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

#26 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 20:04

I'm battling this thoughts kind of more than a year ago... I don't own a Premier, just a Duofold. But even if I look the pictures Duofold wins, although a Rose Gold premier looks attractive, but for some reason Duofold Lapis Lazuli looks even more attractive. And they are in the same price range... well no matter how hard I try to convince myself Duofold wins, not mention have a Rose Gold Sonnet, considering it looking even better.

#27 kernando

kernando

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 20:52

Go with original Duofold or Premier models, though the last couple generations of retro Duofold have come in interesting colors and sizes.

stolen 8/14/16 SF south of Market https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gf24EwNiEy6nfKoep2Gnw8EVFthfPngtNSuSgIrAWRk/edit?usp=sharing

#28 Tancred

Tancred

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 00:32

As a guy who has to repair pens on a regular basis, I think that the Duofold is a much better pen.  Better quality, materials that won't pit or corrode when exposed to ink, lighter with better balance.  Some of the newer Parkers (Sonnet is one example) are not well made, not made to be repaired at all.  You can break down a Duofold and replace parts in many cases.  The modern Premier looks more like one pressed and glued together, where the manuals say "replace...."

Wrong and wrong again!  The Duofold seems plasticky and cheap to me. And why would you want to replace parts of a pen?  The Premier is a much superior pen to the Sonnet.

#29 Tancred

Tancred

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 00:43

I love Duofolds, having a P&B in each of the 2 sizes & a BI on each.

The design of the Premier is a complete turn off for me. Looks like an expensive IM, which in turn looks & feels like a cheap & cheerful Chinese pen with an expensive pen price tag.

Now, you may like flashy Chinese looking pens at Parker pen prices. If so, get one.

Personally, I prefer Chinese looking pens at Chinese pen prices. Though, I really wouldn't object to Parker pens at Chinese pen prices, but can't have everything! :unsure:

Regards,

Richard.

Once you hold it and use it you will find that it's nothing like a Chinese pen.  I have the Premier in black lacquer and gold trim - the quality, fit and finish are first class and much superior to the current Duofold, which is a piece of cheap plastic with a gold nib at the end.  The flat top Duofolds of the early 90s were great pens, but now they are just cheap tat sold for £200+.  The Premier can be had for £150 or so.

I also have very expensive Dupont Elysee lacquer pens and the quality of the Premier is on a par with them - at half the price! 

#30 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,736 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:03

Once you hold it and use it you will find that it's nothing like a Chinese pen.  I have the Premier in black lacquer and gold trim - the quality, fit and finish are first class and much superior to the current Duofold, which is a piece of cheap plastic with a gold nib at the end.  The flat top Duofolds of the early 90s were great pens, but now they are just cheap tat sold for £200+.  The Premier can be had for £150 or so.

I also have very expensive Dupont Elysee lacquer pens and the quality of the Premier is on a par with them - at half the price! 

As I said on another post, the Premier is a competent writer but is not for me and, yes, it does remind me of Chinese made pens only not quite so well finished as some. The Duofold scores every time.

Peter

#31 Tancred

Tancred

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 17:56

The Duofold scores every time.

The only problem is that it scores a lot of own goals!  :)

#32 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 18:19

And the premier has no [own] goals to score?
Khan M. Ilyas

#33 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,736 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 18:59

I think not.

Peter

#34 Thier.

Thier.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 21:48

I personnaly own a beautiful Premier :

fpn_1445550315__parker_premier_luxury_br

And a friend of mine asked me to sell his pen because he wants to get rid of the pens he doesn't use anymore, including Premier ...

fpn_1445550452__parker_premier_rose_gold

#35 brabus

brabus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2015 - 15:18

Based on personal experience the Premier is one of Parker's best modern pens since the Sonnet. It pays homage to the legendary Parker 75 with a modern twist. It doesn't look cheap or "chinese" from my POV. If you want to see what "chinese" pens look like take a look at modern Sheaffer pens, those pens are made in China, the Premier is made in France. Parker and Waterman has formed a nice synergy together as this pen uses the same nib and feed as the Phileas which is touted for having one of the smoothest nibs except this one is 18K, and Parker has maintained its brand identity through the modernized arrow clip, the end jewels and the unique body shape which has a gradual taper to both ends. The only thing I don't like about this pen is the chrome section but it makes up for it with the 6 engraved lines which helps with grip. It seems as though a lot of these new 'high end' pens are opting for a chrome section such as the Dupont Line D. Other than that though the pen is built exceptionally well and I'm saving up for one for Christmas. The ballpoint is beautiful as well. 

Thanks,

Brad

#36 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2015 - 15:30

Based on personal experience the Premier is one of Parker's best modern pens since the Sonnet. It pays homage to the legendary Parker 75 with a modern twist. It doesn't look cheap or "chinese" from my POV. If you want to see what "chinese" pens look like take a look at modern Sheaffer pens, those pens are made in China, the Premier is made in France. Parker and Waterman has formed a nice synergy together as this pen uses the same nib and feed as the Phileas which is touted for having one of the smoothest nibs except this one is 18K, and Parker has maintained its brand identity through the modernized arrow clip, the end jewels and the unique body shape which has a gradual taper to both ends. The only thing I don't like about this pen is the chrome section but it makes up for it with the 6 engraved lines which helps with grip. It seems as though a lot of these new 'high end' pens are opting for a chrome section such as the Dupont Line D. Other than that though the pen is built exceptionally well and I'm saving up for one for Christmas. The ballpoint is beautiful as well. 

Thanks,
Brad

No body is talking about these original Parker Premier pens when they say these look Chinese. It is the modern Premier pens that, indeed, do look and feel Chines.
Khan M. Ilyas

#37 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2015 - 16:39

I think possibly opinions are very divided on the Premier, and it's a 'Marmite' pen, with either love or hate and nothing in between.. I doubt if either side will convince the other.

Regards,

Richard.

#38 brabus

brabus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2015 - 18:32

No body is talking about these original Parker Premier pens when they say these look Chinese. It is the modern Premier pens that, indeed, do look and feel Chines.

I was talking about the Modern one. The original one doesn't do much for me. 

#39 brabus

brabus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2015 - 18:33

I think possibly opinions are very divided on the Premier, and it's a 'Marmite' pen, with either love or hate and nothing in between.. I doubt if either side will convince the other.

Regards,

Richard.

Agreed. That's what makes this hobby so great and fun, if everyone had the same taste then it wouldn't be much of a hobby. It's always good to see and hear other peoples opinion.

Thanks,

Brad

#40 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2015 - 19:02

Duofold, because - one: It's a classic and writes like nobody's business, two: It's parker's flagship pen.

You might eventually end up getting both, right now it's just a matter of which one you pick first!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, duofold, premier

Sponsored Content

|