The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Duofold Or Parker Premier

parker duofold premier

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 rlraymondluo

rlraymondluo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2013 - 23:25

Hello fpn,

So I've finally saved up enough money to get a new fountain pen, and I've narrowed down my choice to one of two pens: The Parker Duofold and the Parker Premier. Both of the pens appeal to me equally, though on different levels. The duofold is to me a nice classic timeless design, whereas the Premier is a very masculine and well-built modern design. Furthermore, I like the light-weight duofold for good ergonomics, but also like the Premier for a durable finish.

So I really am stumped, so I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

Owner of: Pilot Custom 823, Waterman Ideal, Parker 45, Twsbi 580, Cross Century II, Cross Bailey, Noodler's Ahab, Pilot Metro., a vintage Platinum, Platinum Riviere, Pilot Vanishing Point. Ex-owner of: Lamy 2000, Visconti Opera Elements Air, Waterman Carene. Next target: Visconti Opera Elements (I'm bring sexy back)

Sponsored Content

#2 Gentleman

Gentleman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2013 - 23:40

I've grown very fond of two contemporary Duofolds (a beautiful gold-trimmed black, and a 20-year-old Black-and-Pearl, both of them Centennials) so my vote would go there. They're handsome classics, and to my hand they offer just the right heft. I do admire the Premier, and if you're seeking an implement which (at least to my eye) offers a more contemporary look, still sophisticated, that's your guy.

Failure seldom stops you; what stops you is fear of failure. -- Jack Lemmon

#3 elysee

elysee

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:45

I am partial to and own several 1990's Duofolds. So, I would recommend a 1990's Duofold.

#4 Xeros

Xeros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:08

I would recommend the Premier just to be a bit different because everyone goes for the Duofold.

#5 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:45

I have a Premier cisele sterling on my desk at all times as I love the weight of it and am fortunate to have an excellent medium oblique italic nib fitted. I'm never tempted to press hard when using it as I find the heft alone applies all the pressure required. My 1989 duofold centennial is in the case and comes out probably a lot less often than its superbly smooth nib deserves. As to the early duofolds, the flat tops and the streamlined, I find them to be very beautiful though they tend to come out of the display case only on the now relatively rare occasions I use my writing slope owing to their comparative fragility and quite high value. If I were you I think I might focus my attention on finding the nib that best suited my taste as I find that a nib that is a joy to use tends to make me a fan of whatever pen it is attached to! My tuppence worth!

:happyberet:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#6 Zombify

Zombify

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:15

I prefer the Premier.  One of the reasons is due to the long nib on the Duofold.  Not really a fan of long nibs.  I'm actually in the marker for a Premier right now.  I will be choosing between the Monochrome Black, or the Titanium.

I'm leaning towards the Titanium.

#7 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:35

I'd go for the duofold,very nice pen,very old and one of the nicest nibs i know even nicer than some mb's limited edition(for me)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#8 Zombify

Zombify

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 14:46

In December I ended up getting my Titanium Parker Premier.  I absolutely love it to death.  I also looked at the Duofolds while I was at the shop, and they were pretty awesome as well.  I was initially turned off by them due to the long nib, and my experience with other long nibbed pens.  However, the Duofold was extremely comfortable.

That day I had my eyes set on the Titanium Premier, so I bought that one.  Maybe in the future sometime I will get my Duofold as well.

#9 Steven

Steven

Bon Vivant

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 17:40

I like both pens equally. It comes down to classic or contemporary. If the budget allows you can apply Peter's second law: "When given a choice... Take both.

If the budget only allows one then go with the Duofold. You will receive more comments and compliments.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

#10 View from the Loft

View from the Loft

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,332 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:32

I may be wrong, but it looks as if the Premiers all have metal sections. If they do, that makes them unusable for me. I have a 1992 Duofold International and really like it. So, try both and buy the one that feels right in you hand.

#11 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:06

Hello fpn,
So I've finally saved up enough money to get a new fountain pen, and I've narrowed down my choice to one of two pens: The Parker Duofold and the Parker Premier. Both of the pens appeal to me equally, though on different levels. The duofold is to me a nice classic timeless design, whereas the Premier is a very masculine and well-built modern design. Furthermore, I like the light-weight duofold for good ergonomics, but also like the Premier for a durable finish.

So I really am stumped, so I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

I think you summed it up well. It really comes down to personal preference. Personally I'd go for the Duofold as I've liked them since I was a kid but have never actually owned one.
My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

#12 LordBeldingford

LordBeldingford

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 19:49

Duofold - classic shapes are eternal...

#13 zneel

zneel

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 19:40

Duofold all the way. Centennial, 90's black and marble. There is nothing more beautiful than that one. Fit a medium oblique nib and off you go.

#14 wspohn

wspohn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:19

Which do you mean, original Parker 75 based premier?

If so, great choice, great pen, but so is the Duofold.

Or the later model Premier - in which case dodgy quality control and much less attractive pens.

Bill Spohn
Vancouver BC
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp
Posted Image

#15 Thier.

Thier.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 951 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:55

I've just received a Parker Premier Black from a client cleaning his desk from the "no more in use pens" ....

After having it flushed, I dipped it and ..... Here is the picture.

Yesterday morning, I was still wondering which one would be my next pen ....

http://www.fountainp...t-fountain-pen/

Attached Images

• Parker Pemier Black.jpg

#16 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:42

I've just received a Parker Premier Black from a client cleaning his desk from the "no more in use pens" ....

After having it flushed, I dipped it and ..... Here is the picture.

Yesterday morning, I was still wondering which one would be my next pen ....

http://www.fountainp...t-fountain-pen/

A very handsome pen indeed, What is weight like?

#17 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:30

I love Duofolds, having a P&B in each of the 2 sizes & a BI on each.

The design of the Premier is a complete turn off for me. Looks like an expensive IM, which in turn looks & feels like a cheap & cheerful Chinese pen with an expensive pen price tag.

Now, you may like flashy Chinese looking pens at Parker pen prices. If so, get one.

Personally, I prefer Chinese looking pens at Chinese pen prices. Though, I really wouldn't object to Parker pens at Chinese pen prices, but can't have everything! :unsure:

Regards,

Richard.

#18 Thier.

Thier.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 951 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:04

A very handsome pen indeed, What is weight like?

42 grams, it's still rather light for such a very well manufactured men ...

#19 Thier.

Thier.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 951 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 22:38

I' ve now a second premier : the brown Luxury version ..... Splendid ....

http://www.fountainp...-pen/?p=3344846

#20 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 14:14

Provided with the opportunity , I would buy both. Hard for me to leave one on the cost of the other.
Khan M. Ilyas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, duofold, premier

Sponsored Content

|