Nemosine Singularity Ef (Demo) Or Lamy Vista Ef (Demo)?

Khranos

Recently, I've been looking through some demo pens, and have really taken a liking to them. However, I've got two demos which I can't decide between. As the title says, those would be the "Nemosine Singularity" and the "Lamy Vista", both in demo and extra fine variants.

I've made a list of pros and cons from what I could find on the pens -

Nemosine Singularity

- Pros -

• Includes a German steel nib with an iridium tip.
  • Includes a converter and 6 ink cartridges.
  • It's about 5$ cheaper.

- Cons -

• The brand is generally unknown.
  • I've seen about equal positive and negative praises on the brand and singularity line.

Lamy Vista

- Pros -

• I've owned the brand before, they work wonderfully.
  • The plastic they're made out of can literally withstand being run over by a car (Meaning it's of higher quality, of course).
  • Free shipping.

- Cons -

• They're more expensive.
  • They don't include a converter, meaning one would have to be bought.

All of that being said, can anybody offer any more light onto this situation? Any experiences with the demo and EF variants of either pen would be much appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Khranos

• KrazyIvan

• requiescat

• risingsun

I have had 3 Nemosine Singularity pens (including a demo) and all three developed numerous small cracks at the lip of the cap. The pens are decent writers, but they are a clear step below the Vista/Safari in terms of quality and durability. The Nemosine converter, while functional, is not well-made and exudes cheapness. It is an absolute no-brainer to go with the Vista between these two, in my opinion, even with the difference in price.

Just my 2 cents.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I have had 3 Nemosine Singularity pens (including a demo) and all three developed numerous small cracks at the lip of the cap. The pens are decent writers, but they are a clear step below the Vista/Safari in terms of quality and durability. The Nemosine converter, while functional, is not well-made and exudes cheapness. It is an absolute no-brainer to go with the Vista between these two, in my opinion, even with the difference in price.

Just my 2 cents.

I've seen stuff about the cap being weak, but if it's been all 3 pens, that's a bit much. I've heard they have great service and will gladly replace broken parts, but I don't think that's worth the time or shipping cost.

As of now, the Vista is sounding much better, I appreciate the reply!

I've had a Singularity demonstrator develop serious cap lip cracks. I liked the way the pen felt in my hand and it was a trouble-free eyedropper conversion with a decent nib (I had tried the Safari and it didn't work for me), but the pen's fragility worries me. If you already know you like the Lamy pens, I have to agree that it sounds like that's the way to go.

The Nemosine was my first fountain pen since getting reacquainted with pens. I bought mine in Black Marble over a year ago. I now have three nibs to play with and no cap or barrel cracks...yet. Maybe the "marble" version uses better or a different plastic.

Edited by Edwaroth

I've been interested in trying an eyedropper conversion, actually... I'll definitely be getting the Vista first, but sometime soon I'll go ahead and get a Nemosine since they're not expensive in the slightest to see just how well the barrels and caps hold up (since it now seems that not everybody has the cracking issues). I appreciate all of the replies!

I have both, the Lamy Vista being my very first fountain pen, and the Singularity being one of my latest. I think the Singularity is well crafted for the price.

You sound like you might be leaning to getting both and at the cost, I don't see why not.

I think the ability to swap out nibs in the Singularity, and not just with Nemosine nibs, make it an intriguing pen to add to one's collection. That is, if you like fiddling with your nibs. I've swapped the .8 stub that came in my Singularity with the Noodler's flex nib in my Konrad.

Edited by doggonecarl

• 1 month later...

Recently, I've been looking through some demo pens, and have really taken a liking to them. However, I've got two demos which I can't decide between. As the title says, those would be the "Nemosine Singularity" and the "Lamy Vista", both in demo and extra fine variants.

I've made a list of pros and cons from what I could find on the pens -

Nemosine Singularity

- Pros -

• Includes a German steel nib with an iridium tip.
  • Includes a converter and 6 ink cartridges.
  • It's about 5$ cheaper.

- Cons -

• The brand is generally unknown.
  • I've seen about equal positive and negative praises on the brand and singularity line.

Lamy Vista

- Pros -

• I've owned the brand before, they work wonderfully.
  • The plastic they're made out of can literally withstand being run over by a car (Meaning it's of higher quality, of course).
  • Free shipping.

- Cons -

• They're more expensive.
  • They don't include a converter, meaning one would have to be bought.

All of that being said, can anybody offer any more light onto this situation? Any experiences with the demo and EF variants of either pen would be much appreciated!

I have both and really both are fine with one exception......the Nemosine singularity demo holds more ink. Not sure if its an issue but if you want a good workhorse pen without constantly having to refilll the Nemosine is fine....but the Lamy Vista is a slimmer pen and the convertor holds less ink.

I have 3 nemosine singularities and really like them. I don't care for the grip configuration in the Lamys.

So many pens. So little time.

Heh, there has been a recent bump in the thread, I see.

If anybody is wondering, I got the Vista and have been loving it (I needed a pen devoted to ink rotation anyways). I've been without a single problem, my only issue being that the EF is a bit wider than I'd prefer on an EF.

A Singularity will be my next purchase however, and I'll be posting the results for anybody who happens to do a Google search and would like information.

The Nemosine has a great German nib on it, which is terrific for the price. Otherwise it looks great, but is poorly thought out and cheaply made.

That nib is a keeper though. It's the same nib they use in all sorts of high-end pens, some costing hundreds of dollars.

Just know that Nemosine nibs are variable. What I have installed on mine (A JoWo) is not what I see on other pens that have the actual Nemosine nibs installed.

Here is what came with my pen:

Then this came when ordering a Nemosine nib by itself and is what I have seen others post as the nib they get with their pen.

• 3 months later...

Instead of Singularity, I ordered Fission, which is the metal version of the pen, with slight appearance differences. The metal (I think brass) totally eliminates the issue of caps cracking. It got some weight to it, however, which is of course based on preference.

I don't really like the grips on Lamy Safaris and Lamy Vistas, as it seem to limit the options and expressions of using a writing utensil, and thus I would recommend the Nemosine over Vista, if you'd like to try the Fission.

I have had both pens, and both are good pens. However the Nemosine I had has been amazingly smooth and trouble free. My daughter who is a dreaded lefty, loves it too (it is hers now) and she hasn't been able to use many of my pens. I carried mine for two semesters at universisity and never had a problem.

The Lamy is probably a better pen, and is also more expensive. The lamy i had was pretty scratchy but is a better pen all around once the nib was tweaked a little. The nemosine was as smooth as butter right out of the box. Now that I have tried a gold nib, I have a hard time going back to the firmer steel pens I started out with.