The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Restoring Gold Plating/filling On A Sheaffer Snorkel Cap.

cap gold sheaffer snorkel repair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cyclopentadiene

Cyclopentadiene

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:26

Dear all,

I've recently remember how much of a engineering marvel the Sheaffer snorkel is. 

After finding my pen I noticed how the gold plating on the cap, both on the clip and wide cap ring was fading considerably to a brass like finish. 

Would anyone know how to restore the finish of the gold back to its original luster?

Thanks,

Badger

Sponsored Content

#2 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 19:00

Is it just tarnished, or is the gold layer wearing through?

If the latter, the cost of replating is high enough that you may be better off just buying a new cap -- assuming the color and trim configuration is a common one.

best

David

#3 Cyclopentadiene

Cyclopentadiene

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2013 - 20:53

My thanks for replying Mr. Nishimura. It looks to be tarnished rather than completely worn through. 

The colour and trim are very common, just the regular black and gold trim for a snorkel. I've never been happy to discard an item when it can be repaired. I ask as I'm familiar with restoring the shine to silver but not gold.

Thanks again,

Badger

#4 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:14

If it is just tarnish, gentle polishing with a silver cloth should do the trick.

Most gold-electroplated trim is high-karat and won't tarnish, but gold filled trim has a thicker layer of lower-karat gold (typically between 12K and 18K) which will tarnish just like silver, albeit more slowly.

best

David

#5 Cyclopentadiene

Cyclopentadiene

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2013 - 22:35

If it is just tarnish, gentle polishing with a silver cloth should do the trick.

Most gold-electroplated trim is high-karat and won't tarnish, but gold filled trim has a thicker layer of lower-karat gold (typically between 12K and 18K) which will tarnish just like silver, albeit more slowly.

best

David

Many thanks for your reply. I'll give a silver cloth a whirl on tuesday and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Badger

#6 Cyclopentadiene

Cyclopentadiene

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 17:27

As an update the cloth worked well. Thanks for the advice!

Badger

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cap, gold, sheaffer, snorkel, repair

Sponsored Content

|