Pens Meant For Serious Daily Writing

mlj.1.137

I use a fp for a lot of my daily work, which can involve writing very detailed notes of a crucial nature in a hurry , and as words are spoken. Of the old pens I like the P51 and the P75. Of the newer pens the MB144 and the 18ct nibbed Sonnets (especially the Ciselles), and the St Dupont Fidelio. The Lamy 2000 is no shirker for heavy work either. I have several pistons, but for normal everyday work like the converters because of the ease of maintenance, and when I fly to a job I use cartridges. I always carry two fountain pens , a pencil and a jotter.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mlj.1.137

• Tom Aquinas

• jar

• MrInkwell

I've found my Pelikan M200 to be very satisfactory on almost any paper. Posted it's 5.75 inches, just under your 6.00 requirement. It's not as heavy as some, but being piston-filled has a very decent capacity.

In college I used Parker 45s and Sheaffer Targas (both with fairly large converters) that held up to a day of note-taking and a night of essays and homework. Slightly under 1/2 inch diameter for both.

Of recent, the Esterbrook J is nice, good capacity with a multiplicity of nibs available, and my Reform 1745 also works well.

For what it's worth, my Dad used a Parker 51 vacuumatic daily from 1946 to about 1966.

Best of luck, let us know what you've decided.

Every pen made before 1972.

Almost every pen made after 1972.

yes correct answer

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I appreciate all the recommendations and I will be sure to let people know what I ultimately decide. It sounds like promising candidates are some of the vintage Parkers (21, 51, 75), the Lamy 2000, the 146 and 149, and several Pelikans.

Since some have questioned the logic behind my upper limit on price, I just wanted to make it clear that I only chose that dollar value so as to provide as wide an array of options as possible.

While I could, technically, spend that much on a single pen, doing so would blow my pen budget for quite a long time. If it is was in a good cause and I obtained a pen that would be a faithful, not-too-temperamental companion and workhorse, then I would be willing to do so (admittedly with perhaps a touch of hesitation). However, if I could spend significantly less to achieve the same end, then that is the route I would take.

As to the phrasing of the original question, I admit that it was vague, and should have been worded more along the lines of "In your experience, which pens would you use and why if you had to do a significant amount of writing."

I also agree that "serious" writing can be accomplished using anything from a slate and chalk to a sharpened stick with lampblack. The question is more of the degree of enjoyment to be derived from the use of the pen. Just as there are cars that can handle the mechanics of driving as well as any other but are not the kind of vehicle in which you'd like to attempt an overland journey, I believe that there are pens that aren't as suited to long-term use and comfort.

Thanks,

Michael

So, I am looking for a fountain pen (or pens) that people think are capable of doing some serious writing (several thousand words a day), while still being comfortable to use for those prolonged periods.

If anyone has some recommendations as to likely candidate pens, I'd really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks and all the best,

Michael

My recommendation would be the Montblanc 146. It's hard to beat for extensive writing comfort. Perfect size/weight/balance, big ink capacity, and delightful nib.

The MB146 review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/242754-montblanc-meisterstuck-no-146/

When I was looking for the same thing as you, I checked out the Frontier and 45.
The Frontier is more comfortable for me.

Almost any decent quality pen will be proper for extensive writing. I wrote for years with a 25 cent chinese pen, and didn`t feel the need for something else until it broke.

Of course, i like lighter pens, not too big, and those fitted with an ink window, so that i know how much ink i got left. These features are practical during a writing marathon.

Edited by rochester21

yes correct answer

Whilst i generally agree, with reservations, would you include the Man 100 ?

If you don't mind having to constantly fill your pen and perhaps spend more on ink, consider getting a very wet pen.

Sure, you're going to be chewing through expensive paper and proportionally more ink, but consider that they will write readily with just the pressure that the pen puts on the paper, and you could write faster without having to worry about the pen skipping.

As such, I wouldn't recommend the Lamy Safari, except as a first pen. You're going to start writing with ballpoint-like pressure, and eventually you're going to loosen your grip, in which case you will discover that the Lamy Safari does not put out a good, thick, and rich line.

My writing arrangement is a Visconti Homo Sapiens or a Pilot VP on 20# standard multipurpose paper. Granted, there's noticeable ghosting and some bleeding dots, it's still manageable, and you could read it quite well, even though it won't look that spiffy. I have to refill the pen after ten pages of writing, about twenty two lines per page.

Back of my head calculations say that besides the pen, you're going to have the following costs:

-Good paper, $7/ream or $40/case for multipurpose, $15/ream or $100/case for 24# laser paper

-A steady supply of ink; Noodler's is $13 for a 85 ml bottle

You may want to invest on a ink well should your ink bottle be difficult to fill from

Edited by Parse Error

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

Thought I'd add my two cents. In some order of preference (but not by huge variations) my favorite pens are:

1. Modern Parker Duofold -- I have 4 all in M nib; these are all c/c and convenient
  2. Pilot VP -- I have 2 in M nib. These are c/c as well. As so often cited, the Pilot M nib is definitely a narrower line than the Parker. These start up right away and are totally trouble free. I like the grip; but YMMV as not all reviewers like the grip with the clip present.
  3. Pelikan M800 M nib. Like silk.

Of the above, the Pilot VP are the least expensive; unless you prefer a LE version they can be had new for around $140

Enjoy

Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Wow, OP you are now spoiled for choices. So many available.

Caveat - you are going to blow your moolah on whatever you buy.

Suggestion - experience is the best teacher. Try a few, and you will automatically settle down for the one that your fingers itch to get married to (after all it's much of their decision than yours).

Conclusion: U let us know what you finally settled for :)

Firebug(gers)

Before you listen to ANY advice on particular pens you have to decide on your parameters - price and style to start with perhaps, as well as anything else you can think of relating to this particular pen.

There seem to be many seasoned collectors who point straight to 1950s and 1960s pens, but I have no idea why this is so - not just in this case, but in any discussion about "serious writing" pens. Until you decide what it is you might be looking for there is no telling what might fit your hand and budget best.

I can tell you my purely personal experiences: my two most used pens for serious writing are a Parker 75 and a Montegrappa Symphony. There is much love amongst the most serious of collectors and pen enthusiasts for the venerable 75, and I think they are great pens, but there is not so much love for something modern like the Symphony. But I love everything about it. My red one has been an almost daily (work) carry since March 2010. It is more scratched than I'd ideally like, but I couldn't think of many pens I'd prefer when I need to write more than a few pages at once.

Good luck!

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4188/ki8v.jpg

Edited by MrInkwell

I am looking for a fountain pen (or pens) that people think are capable of doing some serious writing (several thousand words a day)...

Just curious, what kind of writing are you doing that you write thousands of words in a day?

Just curious, what kind of writing are you doing that you write thousands of words in a day?

Maybe it's for his exams, or he blogs a lot?

I know I write over 10,000 words in each paper..

PS: Try the Frontier or an Airmail eyedropper. The Airmail seems to be working quite well for me..

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post a reply to my inquiry and I must apologize for the open-endedness of the question. I typed it in haste and didn't include sufficient detail. However, I'd like to provide that now and maybe it will help.

Here are my preferences for a fountain pen (based on my experiences so far):

Weight: on the heavier side (for some reason, a little extra heft seems to stabilize my writing)

Balance: evenly distributed

Length: between 6 and 6.5 inches (posted)

Diameter: ~1/2" (if I had to choose, I'd go larger so my hand doesn't cramp, which tends to happen with smaller diameter pens)

Ink system: converter or piston fill (slight advantage to piston)

Nib Size: based on my handwriting, I tend to favor a fine to medium nib (though I do enjoy the look and feel of a broad nib if I modify my writing to accommodate it)

Nib Flexibility: sufficient to have some line variation (not a true flex but with a bit of spring)

Nib Smoothness: very smooth on most papers but a little bit of feedback isn't a deal-killer

Price: since this is meant as a dedicated writing tool, I'm willing to spend up to $600 (which I suppose would cover up through some of the higher-end Pelikans, Viscontis, and the like)

As for papers, I tend to use Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and Crane (plus regular Hammermill copy paper) with Waterman, Diamine, and Pilot inks.

I hope that this information helps.

Best,

Michael

My apologies, I did not read thoroughly enough before my post at the end of the topic, and realise that you are the original poster. Sounds like you have some pens in mind. I think Visconti or Pilot, as mentioned, could be great ideas. But you will have to do a little experimentation, to a degree, to see what works over "longer" writing periods.

Let me start by saying I am a relative noob to this hobby so I am skating out on the thin ice with any recommendation. .

"It sounds like promising candidates are some of the vintage Parkers (21, 51, 75), the Lamy 2000, the 146 and 149, and several Pelikans."

It's gratifying to see that you've been reading the responses. I think sometimes these posts are just a trolls attemp to liven up the conversastion here. These pens you've listed fall in two categories (in my mind), based on price.

I have models of each except the Lamy. In the high end you have the choice of Pelikan or MB. I would generally give the edge to the Pelikans based on the fact that the nibs are easily removable and to a degree, interchangeable. This makes them more easily customizable and they are a snap to clean. If you plan to write a lot, ease of maintenance should be considered, though you mentioned you would favor a piston filler over other systems.

The down side of these pens is that they will soak up a lot of your budget and I'm one to suggest that you have more than one ED writer. It's good to have a little change up once in a while; a different nib, color, or feel to the grip can be refreshing. And, with only one 'go to' pen you could be in a bind if that pen gets lost or damaged. No pen is impervious to being dropped on a tile floor.

Let me also say that I have at least one Parker 51 inked most of the time. The first one I bought was a last minute cheapie Ebay bid. I didn't want to spend a lot because I did not care much for the look, but thought I should see what all the hype was about. I thought I was the luckiest person on the planet the first time I wrote with it. In short order I had three more, and except for one which needed a nib adjustment, they have all been a pleasure to write with. An amazing testament to pens that are so old. Perhaps not the size (girth) or ink capacity that you prefer, but an awfully nice back up pen, and they come in all price ranges.

This may sound like a homer recommendation but I also have a 1926 Parker Duofold (Big Red) which came to my mind when I read your criteria. It's well balanced, holds a lot of ink, is heavier than many newer pens and has a pleasing girth at the section. It's a button filler and obviously built to last. I suspect this pen writes as good as it did the day it left the loading dock at the factory. Amazing that a pen which is almost 90 years old is functioning perfectly. I don't mean to fuel the fire but perhaps Jar was correct.

I will be interested to see what you choose and how you like it (them!).

I appreciate the continued interest in this question, and the insightful responses. This question wasn't posted merely to incite argument, but to truly try to gain some valuable data and insights into what options are out there in fountain pens for my purposes. I figure that I will never be able to try all the seemingly countless fountain pens on my own, so I'd best find out as much as I can from others about what looks good; even if its only as a general guide.

As to my reasons for wanting a pen that can be comfortable for long writing sessions, I am in graduate school and working on my dissertation in the physical sciences. This means I generally write a significant number of words and equations in any given day (most of which, unfortunately, seem to be expendable and end up in the circular file).

Add to this that I spend most of my time in a laboratory and much of the day working with computers and other devices with displays. I have started to feel numb from staring at a screen for a major portion of my life. I've come to the conclusion that I need some means to keep working that doesn't involve LEDs, LCDs, plasmas, or CRTs. Plus, I've also found that my productivity decreases as I spend more time staring at a screen. The computer becomes less of a tool and more of a distraction; "yeah," I say to myself, "I really do need to check my email for the fifth time this hour."

These facts have led me to the conclusion that, while handwriting (at least the first and second drafts) of papers on which I am working and my thesis may seem like an antiquated and perhaps ridiculous idea, it may actually be a more efficient means of creating them. I find that I take greater care crafting a sentence or casting an equation when I handwrite it than if I type it on a computer. It is so easy to delete, copy and paste, and generally edit and re-edit words on a computer that I tend to write a really, really miserable first draft, and then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fix it. Handwriting (even with a lowly ballpoint) slows my mind, focuses my attention, and forces me to generate a better product than I could have otherwise.

Hence, my desire for a fountain pen that will be a useful, practical (and, if possible, enjoyable) tool to help with my work. And if it doesn't have to cost a fortune, so much the better.

Thanks,

Michael