Pens Meant For Serious Daily Writing

mlj.1.137

LOL. I love your responses to this type of thread.

I love your responses. I go for the expensive pen option which is clearly not realistic and you go for the blantently obvious.

Interesting--but what is the purpose of either the "not realistic" or the "blatantly obvious" response? Who benefits?

C

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mlj.1.137

• Tom Aquinas

• jar

• MrInkwell

Many factors are subjective - you don't want a pen that looks hideous, but no one can tell you what your tastes are in that regard. Similarly, some people like heavy pens, others like light pens so you can't really go with someone else's recommendation about that - heavy or light is purely a matter of taste, similarly with what feels comfortable in your hand. That's partly the shape of the pen but also partly the size of your hand and the way you hold the pen and of course only you know that.

For an overall sturdy pen, inexpensive choices would include the Lamy Safari or Faber Castell Basic.

I'll make my usual recommendation to go to a fountain pen store and try the pens that interest you, then get the one that feels right in your hand and that writes in a way that appeals to you. There's no substitute for hands-on (literally) experience. If you're too far from a pen store, then head to the nearest pen show the next time one goes on in your general vicinity. I don't recognize the flag below your name, but hopefully it's a country that has one or the other, or preferably both.

I would second the suggestion of the Italix Parson's Essential. You may even be fond of one the bigger pens from Italix as well, like the Churchman's Prescriptor or the Captain's Commission. All three have custom cut nibs and they're very smooth pens to write with. The Parson's is the lightest and smallest of those, but if you like big pens, the Prescriptor or Captain's might be right up your alley.

They're Converter filled as the previous mention indicated, but for a F/M nib, I think you'll be fine with the ink quantity. I've been able to get several days worth of writing out of the Parson's Essential while writing 3-4 pages of notes per day with a M Italic nib.

They're weightier pens, which the Montblanc pens are not. Sorry to the MB fans out there, but those pens are light as a feather. I certainly couldn't hold those all day, and I couldn't recommend them for someone who prefers a pen with a heft to it.

The Italix pens are cheap in comparison to most fine writers, but don't be fooled by the price, they're well-made instruments. Buy one or two to try and keep them even if you go with something else in the end, you never know when you might want some variety.

It's easier to make a larger diameter section that will be comfortable over long writing sessions but good design can also make even very, very slim sections work. After all folk wrote with quills and dip pens for hundreds of years when it would have been just as easy to stick a nib on an axe handle. Don't go just by nib diameter since it is far more complex than that.

Section shape seems to have a big part in making a pen comfortable over time with a slightly concave fairly long cross-section on a well balanced pen becoming increasingly important as the section diameter decreases.

Here is a review I did on section ergonomics and wide pens and here is a review of two really slim section pens that I find great over extended writing sessions.

My Website

Interesting--but what is the purpose of either the "not realistic" or the "blatantly obvious" response? Who benefits?

C

Those who have not realized the blatantly obvious answer.

My Website

I would say that $600 is way more than you need to spend to get a pen that fits all your criteria, though of course you're free to spend that much if you like. If I were spending that much money I'd consider a Dupont Elysée just because it's so gorgeous but I wouldn't get one without trying it first. I wouldn't recommend that if it's your first fountain pen though. Better to get a couple of pens in the $50 to $100 range and save the rest of your cash. You can always get the $600 pen some day down the road if you end up as a major fountain pen user, though lots of people here (including me) have never spent that much on a fountain pen. The Faber Castell Basic meets all your criteria except maybe nib flexibility and it's barely more money than a Lamy Safari.

If you want to go higher end, you could consider the Pilot Custom 823. The author Neil Gaiman writes the first draft of his novels long hand using fountain pens (two different pens for writing on alternate days) and that's one of the pens he uses. Google his name and "fountain pen" and you'll see his explanation for why he does that as it may be useful to you as well. Writing doesn't get much more serious than writing an entire novel in long hand.

The Pilot Custom 823 has been on my list of wanted pens for quite some time, as has the Lamy 2000. I've got a Safari and while I like it for many things, such as note taking, the faceted section tends to become annoying for me if I am writing much beyond 20-30 minutes straight.

As to the upper limit that I quoted, I'd definitely prefer to not have to spend that much or at least to put it toward multiple pens, if possible. The figure was more informed by the current prices for some of the pen makers I mentioned, rather than a firm belief/conviction that I'd really need to spend that much to find the pen I seek.

I've heard many good things about the offerings from Edison. I will have to check them out more closely, especially that pump filler.

Not really, I think. Though I wonder who you have in mind. Are you supposing that the OP has not realized that pens write?

It seems safe to assume that the OP started this thread to initiate a conversation with others about pens that they have found good for long writing sessions. He is looking, I imagine, for testimony and suggestions.

C

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post a reply to my inquiry and I must apologize for the open-endedness of the question. I typed it in haste and didn't include sufficient detail. However, I'd like to provide that now and maybe it will help.

Here are my preferences for a fountain pen (based on my experiences so far):

Weight: on the heavier side (for some reason, a little extra heft seems to stabilize my writing)

Balance: evenly distributed

Length: between 6 and 6.5 inches (posted)

Diameter: ~1/2" (if I had to choose, I'd go larger so my hand doesn't cramp, which tends to happen with smaller diameter pens)

Ink system: converter or piston fill (slight advantage to piston)

Nib Size: based on my handwriting, I tend to favor a fine to medium nib (though I do enjoy the look and feel of a broad nib if I modify my writing to accommodate it)

Nib Flexibility: sufficient to have some line variation (not a true flex but with a bit of spring)

Nib Smoothness: very smooth on most papers but a little bit of feedback isn't a deal-killer

Price: since this is meant as a dedicated writing tool, I'm willing to spend up to $600 (which I suppose would cover up through some of the higher-end Pelikans, Viscontis, and the like)

As for papers, I tend to use Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and Crane (plus regular Hammermill copy paper) with Waterman, Diamine, and Pilot inks.

I hope that this information helps.

Best,

Michael

Have I got a pen for you............

Levenger True Writer Silver Anniversary

How it fits your requirements:

Weight:30+ grams/1.07 ounces - barrel is made from brass

Balance - works for me - I write primarily unposted though - regardless of pen.

Length posted is a shade over 6"

Diameter - right at 1/2"

Fill system: Cartridge/Converter

Nib size - available in F, M, B although a "Signature Stub" is available for purchase separately, which is a ground medium. (I have the fine)

Flexibility - little if any, but it isn't a big deal for me so I don't notice really.

Smoothness- very nice

Price- very reasonable - especially given your budget. ($99)

I have used it on Strathmore Parchment, Southworth Granite Specialty paper (25% cotton, watermarked), Black n Red, Made in Brazil (& USA) composition books, cheap copy paper, Avery 8317 note cards.

Shortly after I got it, my wife and I went on a road trip - a 2 hour drive each direction, same day. I wrote with it the entire trip without fatigue. If memory serves I was writing in either my A4 casebound Red n Black or using it as a writing surface from the passenger seat.

http://www.levenger.com/Pens---Refills-8/Shop-By-Brand-34/Levenger-275/True-Writer-Pens-928/True-Writer--Silver-Anniversary-Fountain-Pen-8756.aspx

I also did a review on it here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/241028-true-writer-silver-anniversary/

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have found that some of the best writers for any writing, and for longer writing in particular, have been pens at the lower end rather than the upper end. The Cross Solo and Parker Frontier are exceptional writers at very moderate cost. I have found both of these to be better writers than many more expensive pens, making me feel that the extra money was wasted apart from the elitist feeling of owning and using such pens. There is certainly a point of diminishing returns, and I find than modern pen making has brought very high performance to low cost pens. Waterman also makes some excellent low cost pens. If you buy two or three low cost, excellent modern pens, you can change off the pens during a longer writing session. I have found that this is somewhat like changing shoes during the day to get a different feel under your feet. It gives a slight different feel of the pen in your hand that is a brief refreshment.

Feel free if you think it best, though, to spend five times as much and up. I have found that my Montblancs, Pelikans, Parker 51s and Sonnets and some others almost write as nicely as the Cross Solo, Parker Frontier, Waterman Phileas and inexpensive Waterman stainless pen I have tried. The modern inexpensive pens are not just for cheapskates.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

As someone who writes for a living, i have found that a balanced pen and a smooth nib are essential. The pens that I use most often and most consistently are:

Visconti Homo Sapiens

S.t. DuPont defi

Conway Stewart 100

Pelikan 800 and Ductus

Lamy 2000

Pilot Custom 823.

Sheaffer Legacy

I would go with a Lamy to start. It won't hurt you financially and will help you to learn how to hold a pen correctly. I have had no problems with any of there nibs but I tweak all my nibs to the way I like them and for my every day writers I tweak them done to the ink I use. So for everyday like at the office, I will have a pen that has been optimized for me and for the ink it will use.

For playing around with colors I don't get so picky.

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal!

As much as I appreciate your great taste in pens and your knowledge about them, I strongly feel that sometimes you act somewhat snob and pretentious.

I cannot understand neither why you would need to do that nor why someone would encourage such a behaviour.

If you feel that the OP's questions are stupid, naive, vague or whatever else, you can simply ignore them.

As much as I appreciate your great taste in pens and your knowledge about them, I strongly feel that sometimes you act somewhat snob and pretentious.

I cannot understand neither why you would need to do that nor why someone would encourage such a behaviour.

If you feel that the OP's questions are stupid, naive, vague or whatever else, you can simply ignore them.

I'm sorry if that post ruffled your feathers but I did not simply say that all pens write. The question was about pens that were built for long term writing.

Before around 1972 fountain pens and pencils were the primary means of writing by hand. While the Parker Jotter had been available since the mid fifties and the T-Ball refill since the mid 60s the ball point pens were still not all that good and even the best prone to things like the end of the body breaking because the pressure needed to make them work would crack the plastic.

So if I were looking for a pen for relatively long term writing I would first look at those pens made before 1972. Then, I would look at those pens made after 1972 that most closely matched the characteristics of pens made before 1972.

My Website

Just within your price range is the Conid Fountainbel Bulkfiller. This is an excellent pen that matches your requirements. It is not too light, being a bit heavier than the norm. The weight is evenly distributed. The diameter is bang on a half inch. Best of all, it has an epic ink capacity of just over 3ml. It is robust and without vulnerable bling. Finally, it is easy to maintain and clean.

I use one as my primary writer and I write a lot. It is a workhorse that never ceases to be a pleasure for writing.

A Lamy 2000 is a much less expensive way to begin and is a fine pen. However, in my opinion, the Bulkfiller is a significant step up for very long haul writing.

Good luck.

David.

Hi Michael and a belated :W2FPN:

From the specs you gave, I would recommend a Montblanc 149. It is big enough to keep your hand from not cramping, as well as a healthy ink capacity and balanced feel. You can find one in excellent used condition under $400 if you look around. You will also be able to get your money back out of it if you determine that it's not for you. I might also suggest the 146. It is smaller, yet still bug enough to write comfortably for me.

If you are opposed to the MB brand, I might also suggest the Pelikan M800 or M1000. Pelikans have always been smooth writers for me and have been very good pens. Let us know what you decide! ;)

Just within your price range is the Conid Fountainbel Bulkfiller. This is an excellent pen that matches your requirements. It is not too light, being a bit heavier than the norm. The weight is evenly distributed. The diameter is bang on a half inch. Best of all, it has an epic ink capacity of just over 3ml. It is robust and without vulnerable bling. Finally, it is easy to maintain and clean.

I use one as my primary writer and I write a lot. It is a workhorse that never ceases to be a pleasure for writing.

A Lamy 2000 is a much less expensive way to begin and is a fine pen. However, in my opinion, the Bulkfiller is a significant step up for very long haul writing.

Good luck.

David.

Hi Michael and a belated :W2FPN:

From the specs you gave, I would recommend a Montblanc 149. It is big enough to keep your hand from not cramping, as well as a healthy ink capacity and balanced feel. You can find one in excellent used condition under $400 if you look around. You will also be able to get your money back out of it if you determine that it's not for you. I might also suggest the 146. It is smaller, yet still bug enough to write comfortably for me.

If you are opposed to the MB brand, I might also suggest the Pelikan M800 or M1000. Pelikans have always been smooth writers for me and have been very good pens. Let us know what you decide! ;)

I have used these pens and found them good, but not any better in performance than many less costly pens.

Aha! It takes a big money pen to do serious writing. The more money you spend on a pen, the more you stroke your ego. There's nothing wrong with stroking your ego, but it isn't necessary to spend a lot of money to get a pen for serious writing.

Parker 21

Parker 51

Parker 45

Esterbrook, J, LJ, M2, Safari pump filler, Phaeton

Sheaffer Imperial, many models

Pelikan M200

Cross Solo

Parker Frontier

English Parker aerometric duofold

Cross Century, classic

Lamy Safari/All Star

If you are lucky,

Montblanc Generation, sometimes available for around $100.

Just a few ideas of pens that can stand up with any of the collectibles for performance.

You don't need gold nibs to do the writing. It just costs more.

If you want a heavy pen, buy one of the Chinese pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I never suggested more $$=better writing.

But, Michael claimed he was willing to spend $600 for a pen. The writing experience is more than a smooth nib. I have a Montblanc 146 that doesn't write exceptionally "better/smoother?" than my TWSBI 580.

It's not about stroking anyone's ego. It's about enjoying the writing experience. And I will admit I enjoy writing with my MB 146 more than I like writing with my TWSBI 580.

Is it because I'm writing with a Montblanc? Partly. Because my first FP was a Montblanc. I have a soft spot towards the brand.

Is it because I like the way the pen looks? Partly. I personally don't enjoy writing with a pen that is displeasing to my eyes.

Is it because it has a gold MB nib? Partly. Montblanc nibs have been superior or equal to any FP I have tested/purchased/sold. I also enjoy the aesthetics of it.

In short, it doesn't matter which pen you choose, as long as you enjoy your experience with it. A Lamy Safari may "perform" as well as a Montblanc 146 (Whatever that means), but that doesn't mean you will enjoy it more/less. Pens are subjective to the individual and no one should be belittled because of the amount he/she is willing to spend.

Just my $.02.

Like others have said, there are a lot of good pens available - many for a fraction of what you are willing to spend. My earlier post was a suggestion for my most expensive pen. That was basically a doubling of the most I had ever spent going to the Silver Anniversary. I have two Waterman Phileas - one medium, and one fine. The only reason I didn't suggest it is you said you wanted fairly heavy, which they aren't. They do have a classic shape and look however. What they are are wonderful writers. I paid $45 for a NOS model with a medium nib in December from the classifieds I have heard that they sometimes for double that as they are no longer made.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have used these pens and found them good, but not any better in performance than many less costly pens.

Aha! It takes a big money pen to do serious writing. The more money you spend on a pen, the more you stroke your ego. There's nothing wrong with stroking your ego, but it isn't necessary to spend a lot of money to get a pen for serious writing.

Parker 21

Parker 51

Parker 45

Esterbrook, J, LJ, M2, Safari pump filler, Phaeton

Sheaffer Imperial, many models

Pelikan M200

Cross Solo

Parker Frontier

English Parker aerometric duofold

Cross Century, classic

Lamy Safari/All Star

If you are lucky,

Montblanc Generation, sometimes available for around $100.

Just a few ideas of pens that can stand up with any of the collectibles for performance.

You don't need gold nibs to do the writing. It just costs more.

If you want a heavy pen, buy one of the Chinese pens.

Wrond argument here IMHO: what is asked is a pen that will be comfortable for long writing sessions. In my experience once you know what you need (and by "need", I mean the pen that will allow you to write long hourS without feeling pain in your hand, your wrist, your finger or your elbow), and once you decided to do no compromise about that, it can get pricy - but it is not a necessity. That's why I suggested some questions that the OP could ask before he goes and buy a pen, expensive or not. In my case, it's the L2Km with a makrolon cap. I do have a FP compulsion, yes. But when "serious" writing is at stake, this is the pen. And I love the design, which is a nice add on.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!