The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Video: Platinum Preppy Conversion

platinum preppy eyedropper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arson

Arson

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2013 - 14:36

I know this is an old topic, but this is my first attempt to convert a pen to an eyedropper, and I just wanted to share.  I'm new to fountain pens, and I'm excited with the results of my conversion.  This is a fun, new interest and thank you to all who share their knowledge.

Sponsored Content

#2 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

I can't write with ballpoint pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2013 - 15:50

Congratulations! I am currently converting Preppies like there was no tomorrow and can assure you, that it works just as well without the O-ring.

What I am not able to achieve, though, is to rub off the writing on the outside, I have to scrape it off.

What kind of denatured alcohol exactly did you use? And how long did it take? I'd be grateful if you could give some details here; I just might have been too impatient.

Edited by Strombomboli, 16 August 2013 - 18:07.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#3 fwyun

fwyun

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 17:08

What kind of denatured alcohol exactly did you use? And how long did it take? I'd be grateful if you could give some details here; I just might have been to impatient.

Me too!

#4 Arson

Arson

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2013 - 20:56

I used regular denatured alcohol from a can I bought at the hardware store.  It took me a good 10 minutes though.  I considered soaking it, but then just dug in and rubbed away.  Thanks for the "o" ring tip.

Edited by Arson, 16 August 2013 - 20:56.

#5 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

I can't write with ballpoint pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2013 - 16:23

Thank you! So this is going to be an exercise in patience...

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#6 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2013 - 17:32

One of the things I don't like about these eyedropper setups is burping which happens after the ink runs down, which can send unexpected heavy irregular flows of ink onto the paper.

One of the things I like about the platinum converters is that they have a little ball in them that seems to help keep an even steady flow as the ink runs down.

Because of this, I've taken to just refilling the cartridges in my platinum pens and this way I can still enjoy using bottled ink  while keeping the flow more even. 

By the way, your video skills are really cool  :thumbup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, preppy, eyedropper

Sponsored Content

|