Picasso/ Bijiasuo 畢加索

Playboy/ Huahuagongzi 花花公子 :huh:

Red Apple/ Hongpingguo 紅蘋果 One Pen sub-brand

Red Rock/ Hongyan 紅岩 Chongqing

Regal/ Huangjia 皇家

Shanghai 上海 Shanghai Ink Factory

Yingkesi 英克斯 Guizhou

Yuanchang 元昌 Shanghai

This list is not exhaustive. Next step: Which factories made them?

Edited by whitedot

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seele

• whitedot

• Dip n Scratch

• Alexes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whitedot,

I was half-expecting you to start this thread here rather than the ink section; there again it sort of makes a bit more sense. Let me have a go at making a start.

Pearl River and Youth are made by the Golden Arrow Office Supplies Factory, Guangzhou. I understand they have a factory shop but the staff there would not sell to anyone rather than a retailer or wholesaler; bad attitude too.

Yuanchang is made by the Shanghai Theta Yuanchang Stationary Co Ltd.

Ostrich and Boss are made by the Tianjin Ink Factory. Oddly enough, the image on the Ostrich ink packaging is not an ostrich, but an emu; they're known to be the inks used by Mao.

The Shanghai Ink Factory makes some Hero-branded inks, and also Shanghai-branded carbon ink.

Oriental is a German/Chinese joint venture.

There is also another ink brand known as LLL, based in Shanghai.

If you live in mainland China, these local brands are remarkably cheap, even compared to the locally made Quinks. Some brands with high-end aspirations tend to bump up the prices too, but they sure give more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Wow! So much brands of inks trom a single country? This may be more than that from all other countries counted together. I know only Skyglory which is locally available here.

Mohan,

While China and the Soviet Union at the time practised planned economy, they took very different approaches.

The Soviet Union preferred to have a limited number of manufacturers of large scale, but the Chinese did the opposite, a large number of manufacturers scattered all over the country, from very large ones down to very small operations. This applies to things such as watches to pens, thus offering the collector/researcher a lot of scope.

Another factor contributing to the number of ink manufacturers is due to cost and logistics. It would be very costly to transport inks in glass bottles across what's a rather large country, so it makes more sense to foster local production. Even now, only locally made inks are easily found, in Shanghai for instance, it's practically impossible to find in the shops inks made outside that city.

BEIJING INK FACTORY 北京墨水廠

Beijing 北京

• Carbon
  • Blue-black
  • Blue
  • Red
  • Scented blue-black

CHONGQING RED SPLENDOUR STATIONERY 重庆红晟文具有限公司

Red Rock/ Hongyan 紅岩

• trademark purchased from Chongqing Red Rock Ink 重庆红岩墨水有限责任公司, previously Chongqing Ink Factory 重庆墨水廠, in 2010

CHONGQING STRONG NATION FACTORY 重慶國強文化用品廠

Huachen 華辰

GUANGZHOU GOLDEN ARROW OFFICE SUPPLIES MANUFACTURING PLANT 廣州金箭辦公用品製造廠

Pearl River/ Zhujiang 珠江

Youth

SHANGHAI INK FACTORY上海墨水廠

Hero/ Yingxiong 英雄

Huguang 滬光

Shanghai 上海

• 214 Carbon only

SHANGHAI DACHANG 上海大昌文化用品有限公司、上海文教體育用品總公司監製

Yuanchang 元昌

TIANJIN INK FACTORY 天津市天津墨水

Ostrich/ Tuoniao 鴕鳥

• 104 Red
  • 221 Black
  • 222 Blue
  • 223 Blue-black
  • 224 Red
  • 312 Blue
  • 313 Blue-black
  • 331 Carbon
  • 511 Carbon
  • 512 Blue
  • 513 Blue-black
  • 901 Premium Green
  • 902 Premium Blue
  • 906 Premium Red
  • 908 Premium Carbon
  • 913 Scented blue-black
  • 916 Scented rose
  • 918 Scented carbon
  • 921 Black for blotting paper
  • 923 Blue for blotting paper

Boss/ Laoban 老闆

A work in progress.

On another note, I tried to order Ostrich inks today. Courier would not carry it. Epic fail. :wallbash:

All I can do is look helplessly at the writing samples.

Seele, I like lots of scope. Scope good. Scope fun.

Baoke 寶克
Beijing 北京
Boss/ Laoban 老闆
Crocodile/ Eyu 鱷魚
Crown/ Huangguan 皇冠
Doctor/ Boshi 博士
Duke/ Gongjue 公爵
Dux/ Dakesi 達克斯 Hero sub-brand
Hero/ Yingxiong 英雄
Huachen 華辰 Chongqing
Huguang 滬光 Shanghai Ink Factory
Kaigelu 凯格路
Lixin 立信
LLL
One Pen/ Yizhibi 一支筆
Oriental/ Aolindan 奥林丹
Ostrich/ Tuoniao 鴕鳥 Tianjin
Pearl River/ Zhujiang 珠江
Picasso/ Bijiasuo 畢加索
Playboy/ Huahuagongzi 花花公子 :huh:
Red Apple/ Hongpingguo 紅蘋果 One Pen sub-brand
Red Rock/ Hongyan 紅岩 Chongqing
Regal/ Huangjia 皇家
Shanghai 上海 Shanghai Ink Factory
Yingkesi 英克斯 Guizhou
Youth
Yuanchang 元昌 Shanghai
Edited by whitedot

• 1 month later...

Sorry for digging up an old thread; lately I have been trying to make lists of the fountain pen inks by each maker. This is the first one that I am reasonably happy with.

Tianjin Ostrich-Ink Co Ltd (originally Tianjin Ink Factory)
ostrich@ostrich-ink.com
Ostrich Inks (In pinyin "Ostrich" is "Tuoniao" and on some packagings they are marked as such as an alternative. Counterfeits have been reported, branded "Tuowu" and "Tuodao" )
(57ml, cyindrical bottle with slightly domed top and bottom)
102 blue
103 blue-black
104 red
(48ml, trapezoidal bottle)
221 black (some early batches have bottle label misprinted as blue)
222 blue
223 blue-black
224 red
(55ml, Parkeresque bottle with rectangular bottle label, normally marked "Tuoniao Moshui" except for 331 and possibly 111)
311 black
312 blue
313 blue-black
314 red
331 carbon
582 light red (very possibly discontinued)
111 green (very possibly discontinued)
(60ml, old style in conical bottle, new style reversed trapezoidal)
511 black
512 blue
513 blue-black
531 carbon
(60ml, near Parkeresque bottle, shaped label with ostrich logo in the middle)
901 green
902 blue
903 blue-black
906 red
908 carbon
(68ml, squat bottle, oval from top)
913 blue-black
916 red
918 carbon
(60ml, Lamy-style bottle with paper roll dispenser)
921 black
923 blue-black
(tapering bottle much like nail polish bottle, size unknown)
281 Super Ostrich Ink black
283 Super Ostrich Ink blue-black
Ostrich-Boss inks
(Note that Ostrich owns the "Boss", or "Laoban" brand but not the "man in trilby hat" logo; Boss brand inks with that logo are made by another firm; these have a smaller Ostrich logo.)
(60ml, hexagonal bottle)
881 scented black
883 scented blue-black
Edited by Seele

Good work, Seele!

Thanks Whitedot; too bad Photobucket does not like my computer these days and I cannot even access my account, so I cannot put in pictures. That said I think it is not difficult to track them down if one so wishes.

Guangzhou Jinjian Office Supplies Factory

118 Tiancheng Rd, Yuexiu, Gangzhou, Guangdong.

Tel. +86 20 8106 2539

This firm seems to be the successor of the established pen maker Youth Pens, and also Pearl River inks. The Youth Pen Factory website is still active but not been revised for nearly a decade so the firm might not be active. However, as late as 2008, other forums have reports stating that the old works still sold pens from their wholesale department.

Youth Inks

(48ml, Parkeresque bottle)

686 blue-black

687 blue

688 red

689 black

Pearl River Inks

(48ml, bottle bears a slight resemblance to Pelikan)

628 carbon

681 blue-black

682 red

683 blue

684 black

It is not known if comparable inks sold under the two brands are identical, as per "badge engineering". However the Pearl River 684 black has a fine reputation for water-fastness, even though it is a dye-type ink rather than pigment-type.

Beijing Carbon ink used be the best carbon ink in China,however unfortunately it discontinued and closed down last year.

Quite certain?

• 2 years later...

Does anybody know what the origin is of Jinhao branded ink cartridges? Since Jinhao doesn't sell their own bottled ink, I'm thinking maybe that they are using someone else's ink.

I just picked up some Jinhao blue cartridges, just a 5 pack to see if I liked them. I'm pretty pleased so far, knowing this isn't going to be a durable/waterproof ink. The cheapest price I've found is about 16 cents per cartridge if you buy two or more 25pcs packs from this guy. There are some 50pcs and 100pcs auctions out there, but the unit price is actually quite a bit higher.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

• 3 weeks later...

Followup to my Jinhao (blue) ink cartridge evaluation: I've discontinued using them. I was experiencing hard starts and skips in known good pens. I don't know if the viscosity of the ink was, ahem, variable... or if there were particulates clogging the variety of nibs I'd been trying it in. But I found the ink to flow inconsistently across a variety of pen & nib types. I've since taken to using Hero Blue #233 from a bottle in any pen that will be using blue ink, and it's been a much better experience so far.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

• 9 months later...

Hi all, I need some help here. I buyed this bottled ink for around 1.5 dollars at an art store, but I couldn't find if it can be used in a fountain pen.

Thanks.

post-132586-0-65453300-1477365821_thumb.jpg

post-132586-0-13230000-1477365864_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I need some help here. I buyed this bottled ink for around 1.5 dollars at an art store, but I couldn't find if it can be used in a fountain pen.

Thanks.

Sorry for coming in late; this is the Yuanchang Theta fountain pen ink, thus perfectly safe.

• 1 month later...

JL(Junlai君來):

Shanghai Gelin Stationary Co.Ltd.上海格林文具有限公司.

Renmin/People 人民:

Shenyang-base

Green leaf綠葉:

Qunming Ink Factory

Dongfeng東風:

Hunan-base

Golden phenix 金鳳:

Fujian-base

Penbbs.com ink 中國钢笔论坛墨水

Kaco

some self made ink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Taobao's lately exploded with so many boutique ink brands that I can't keep up. Are you recording just the normal inks or including shimmers too?

My pen is smaller than yours. Now get off my lawn.

Taobao's lately exploded with so many boutique ink brands that I can't keep up. Are you recording just the normal inks or including shimmers too?

Yes, there are so many inks from no-name brands currently on Taobao that I think it's impossible to keep track of them all.

Apart from the glittery ones from brands like Poet or Carp (seem to be only for dip pens), most of them seem to be the same basic colors with different bottles.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Unfortunately most of them are shimmering or calligraphy ink that is definitely not fountain pen friendly despite what the Mfr might say about it. And even for those that are not formulated so they tend be be temperamental or over saturated. A few individual pigment based ink for documents are fine. Right now I wold concentrate my collection to the Hero 7200 series ( which now consist of 24+1 color , the +1 being just basic Black ) and its by the Mfr mixable. And the Ostrich color set which is pretty nice.

I do enjoy some of those off beat or boutique ink , some time they do come in color that's ard to come by ut more often I found tha there's really little difference between various ones that's basically still on same hue