Wd's Vintage Golden Star 26 Frankenpen

whitedot

Seele is the go-to on Golden Star history. I won't steal his thunder.

Golden Star still produces 26s and 28s today. The more modern 28 may be fitted with nibs of:

18K at 680 RMB

12K at 390 RMB

Steel at 25 RMB

The 26 is a little less expensive:

12K at 260 RMB

Steel at 20 RMB.

Onto the pen itself, Golden Star's interpretation of the 26, also known as Little Golden Star 小金星. Mine is a frankenpen, and ran me 340 RMB. The body is 80s, and the nib a highly collectible 60s 12K.

Sure enough, the nib has a lovely, warm patina. It appears much thicker than current production steel nibs. The imprint is delightful: 50% gold, 500, a yin-yang star, and the brand. The seller was true to his or her word, and picked out a nib that was well-aligned. However, at a glance, I could see that the tipping was not flawless. Thankfully, the imperfections are not anywhere near the writing surface. QC is hit and miss.

http://i.imgur.com/8bticUm.jpg

The channels are deep and crisp. However, the indent underside is badly off-centre. Does this affect flow?

http://i.imgur.com/C10O1Q3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xgkVDLW.jpg

The body is uniformly charcoal grey, not black, which I find rather handsome. Here is the Little Golden Star next to the Big Black Dragon River. It is both shorter, at 13cm, and slimmer.

http://i.imgur.com/HQr9HL4.jpg

Their nibs shoulder to shoulder.

http://i.imgur.com/A5PCN3c.jpg

The feeds, one magnificent, the other rough.

http://i.imgur.com/7dRA4t0.jpg

Unlike the Black Dragon Rivers, the Golden Star has a curved grip, and unscrews above the threads. It is a sac-filler, without a press-bar or sheath, the most rudimentary of filling systems next to the eyedropper.

http://i.imgur.com/Ui0hQQU.jpg

Writing sample to follow.

Edited by whitedot

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seele

• whitedot

• Scribblesoften

• Aramchek

Whitedot,

I am no expert on Gold Star, but I am in contact with one of the Taobao dealers specialized in them, and he is also in touch with some staff members, so I have picked up a few things along the way.

Golden Star is in a state of limbo; in 2003 there was a resurgence during which some astounding models were produced, but they ran out of puff to carry on breaking out of the doldrums, so they are not manufacturing anymore. The extensive stocks held by numerous vendors were produced from the classic period up to the end of the resurgence period.

I cannot comment on the actual performance of the GS feed which is most likely better than most, with the incorporation of a breather tube for better performance. When cleaning pens - especially those made a little while ago - I tend to be more careful with the feed. I wash the feed in a mild soap solution, using a toothbrush to brush between the fins, and also make sure that the breather tube is ventilating properly: I have found that some pens had the breather tube either not fitted tightly, or not ventilating. Then I rinse in water and then let dry. The off-centre fin milling on your example is of no consequence: when fitting nib/feed into the section, always use a magnifier lens - a jewellers magnifier giving about six to nine times magnification would be admirable. Never push the nib/feed in at once, always monitor alignment along the way, by looking through the vent hole of the nib, you should ensure that it is right in the middle of the ink channel(s) on the top surface of the feed.

Golden Star made both Models 28 and 26, but there was also a Model 24 specification which was smaller again. I cannot be sure if they made this. If you are interested in even earlier ones, also look out for Shanghai-built examples as opposed to Beijing-built examples. Golden Star was originally a Shanghai-based company, a branch factory was opened in Beijing in the 1950s, initially using Shanghai-made components to build pens on a CKD basis, but then they started acquiring local component firms, and gradually departed from the Shanghai work's designs. For some years, these two firms existed and produced pens in parallel, Shanghai-built ones were marked "KSPC" for Kin Sin Pen Co., Beijing-built ones were marked "GSPC" for Golden Star Pen Co (some say Golden Star Peking Co). Eventually the Shanghai firm abandoned pen manufacture and got into making television sets some time in the 1970s, thus making Golden Star an exclusively Beijing firm.

Just as a matter of interest, the Model 50 specifications was for a lower-end, smaller pen ostensibly for the student market, but the one by HLJ appears to be significantly nicer.

Edited by Seele

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Aaaaand, there's the thunder! Thanks, Seele!

Here are the writing samples. The nib is noticeably smoother and softer than HLJ. There is no tooth whatsoever, and some give. Flow is above average but drier than J. Herbin in the HLJ. I do not find it flexible. However, the ebonite feed could probably be set a little further into the section, allowing the tines to bend a bit more. Line width is a true M, slightly wider than the HLJ.

http://i.imgur.com/8BHHHL5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z1FGYQM.jpg

Edited by whitedot

Whitedot,

Judging by the writing samples, it's clear that you got a real gem here. I do not think setting the feed further into the section would allow for more give, as the tines are meant to be flexing away from the feed anyway.

When I make my trip north I will try to go to Canton to track down some Pearl River inks, especially the 684 Black, which has a formidable reputation among those in the know. Perhaps you're in a better position to track down a bottle, as I think it might be a good match for it. I will also try to find a bottle of Tianjin-made Ostrich 111 Green, or 901 Green in a pinch; they should be rather interesting too.

Whitedot,

Judging by the writing samples, it's clear that you got a real gem here. I do not think setting the feed further into the section would allow for more give, as the tines are meant to be flexing away from the feed anyway.

When I make my trip north I will try to go to Canton to track down some Pearl River inks, especially the 684 Black, which has a formidable reputation among those in the know. Perhaps you're in a better position to track down a bottle, as I think it might be a good match for it. I will also try to find a bottle of Tianjin-made Ostrich 111 Green, or 901 Green in a pinch; they should be rather interesting too.

Thanks, Seele.

Sellers on Taobao have informed me that ink cannot be shipped across the border. But, I shall push my luck, and ask again. Might you have a list of Chinese inks that are worth seeking?

Thanks, Seele.

Sellers on Taobao have informed me that ink cannot be shipped across the border. But, I shall push my luck, and ask again. Might you have a list of Chinese inks that are worth seeking?

If you carry them there should be no problem, it is postage that is tricky. Last year a friend went to Shanghai and brought me seven bottles of local inks, he kept them in his hand luggage, no problem at all.

One type of ink well known in China is pigment ink, especially carbon ink. The most celebrated brand is Beijing, in an orange/white/black box, marked "Tansu Moshui"; it's said that it's the least prone to drying out inside the pen, and yet pretty much the most water resistant; fade resistance is of course a given. Other carbon inks which are worth trying include Oriental (most water resistant but prone to drying out), and Theta (aka Yuanchiang), both from Shanghai. Shanghai-brand carbon ink is decent but not giving you the full experience, I rate it as a little less good than Redrock.

Most ink makers have only limited colours: black, blue-black, blue, and red, often available in several grades. For instance, just looking at Ostrich's black inks, there are these models: 281 ,921, 906, 511, 311, 221 and perhaps more, so it gets somewhat confusing. Ostrich is the only maker offering green inks, in two qualities.

Basically, all these inks are meant to be utilitarian, so they do not have all the qualities expected from, say, Noodler's such as waterfastness etc. One exception is the aforementioned Pearl River 684 which is a regular dye ink but is practically totally waterproof. Youth brand inks are also made by the same firm, so there is a chance that the Youth 689 black is exactly the same.

Perhaps it is worth doing the rounds at the less fashionable areas in HK to seek out the mom-and-pop stationary shops, and see what they have in their bottom drawers!

Edited by Seele

If you carry them there should be no problem, it is postage that is tricky. Last year a friend went to Shanghai and brought me seven bottles of local inks, he kept them in his hand luggage, no problem at all.

One type of ink well known in China is pigment ink, especially carbon ink. The most celebrated brand is Beijing, in an orange/white/black box, marked "Tansu Moshui"; it's said that it's the least prone to drying out inside the pen, and yet pretty much the most water resistant; fade resistance is of course a given. Other carbon inks which are worth trying include Oriental (most water resistant but prone to drying out), and Theta (aka Yuanchiang), both from Shanghai. Shanghai-brand carbon ink is decent but not giving you the full experience, I rate it as a little less good than Redrock.

Most ink makers have only limited colours: black, blue-black, blue, and red, often available in several grades. For instance, just looking at Ostrich's black inks, there are these models: 281 ,921, 906, 511, 311, 221 and perhaps more, so it gets somewhat confusing. Ostrich is the only maker offering green inks, in two qualities.

Basically, all these inks are meant to be utilitarian, so they do not have all the qualities expected from, say, Noodler's such as waterfastness etc. One exception is the aforementioned Pearl River 684 which is a regular dye ink but is practically totally waterproof. Youth brand inks are also made by the same firm, so there is a chance that the Youth 689 black is exactly the same.

Perhaps it is worth doing the rounds at the less fashionable areas in HK to seek out the mom-and-pop stationary shops, and see what they have in their bottom drawers!

Yes, I meant ink in the mail.

How does one differentiate between the different grades, and are they all safe?

Yes, I meant ink in the mail.

How does one differentiate between the different grades, and are they all safe?

Honestly I have no idea how they differentiate between the grades, the difference could be quite minimal the way I use my pens, I suspect, and I can see no reason why they are hazchems at all. These days I use the lowest end Hero-branded inks by the Shanghai Ink Factory; oddly enough the inks made by Hero are mostly sold under other names. One reason is that I have found a dealer in the city who stocks them and they're also the cheapest around... only about 15 times the price they charge in China! They are the 201 Red, 202 Blue-black, 203 Blue, and 204 Black; only the 202 has some degree of waterfastness, the others are pretty hopeless. The 201 also happens to be one of the brightest reds around too. I feel that for most of the fountain pen users these days these all give flunking grades, but I sure hope that they make nicer inks in the deep south...

The Hero ink I have is number 232 which is a fairly decent blue-black, I wonder what the difference is between it and the 202?

I also have "Doctor" ink which also appears to be from Hero which was sold as black but is rather a fairly icky dark grey. The bottle it came in looks a lot cheaper than the Hero brand ink.

The pen pricing is a wee bit curious. The model (18K) that has 50% more gold than the 12K model costs ~74% more. I wonder if this price increase is because of the 18K alloy requiring more expensive metals other than gold or more difficult manufacturing process or if it is because they can :-)

Edit: I just noticed the number "404" on the Doctor bottle, the last digit matching the numbering of colour Hero appears to be using.

Edited by Aramchek

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Aramchek,

The 232 in a dome-shaped bottle is meant to be higher quality than the 202, but how, I do not know. Both, I think, are made by the Shanghai Ink Factory for Hero.

The Doctor brand ink that you have is made by Hero themselves, which does get a bit confusing. There again the range of Hero-branded inks is confusing enough, with different packaging and bottles, it's a bit hard to know the performance differences between them.

This is a very nice pen. I am glad you were able to get it. On ebay I often see Jinxing model 26 and 28 pens. Does Jinxing mean gold star in Chinese? I find their style very appealing.

This is a very nice pen. I am glad you were able to get it. On ebay I often see Jinxing model 26 and 28 pens. Does Jinxing mean gold star in Chinese? I find their style very appealing.

In Mandarin Chinese, Golden Star is pronounced as "Jinxing". The firm was founded by three Korean brothers in Shanghai, and to be a hair splitter it should be pronounced in the Korean way, "Kim Seong". That said, the official transliteration was originally "Kin Sin", then "Jinxing", but best known as "Golden Star". At times they're also a bit confused themselves and called themselves "Gold Star".

• 2 years later...

Hi Seele,

I have a few of these pens. Your information is most impressive. Can you say which years the pens in my photo were produced?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l75/derekl_photo/Golden%20Star.jpg

Thank you,

Derek

This model has evolved into a simpler sac filler. There are several on eBay right now called VINTAGE BEIJING JINXING 28c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BEIJING-JINXING-28c-Fountain-Pen-China-famous-brand-/121085271581?hash=item1c313e9e1d:g:-7gAAMXQO21RtetK

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

This model has evolved into a simpler sac filler. There are several on eBay right now called VINTAGE BEIJING JINXING 28c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BEIJING-JINXING-28c-Fountain-Pen-China-famous-brand-/121085271581?hash=item1c313e9e1d:g:-7gAAMXQO21RtetK

If you don't mind the wait, I would order on taobao with a sales agent, as the pens on the boa are only about 5$