Meisterstuck 149 Oblique Fine Nib

pradhith

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have a writing sample of an oblique fine nib? I've never heard of this combination before. Also, can the medium nib be re-tipped to an oblique medium?

-Pradhith

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Chrissy

• Beechwood

• GranTorino25

Yes, oblique fine does exist but it's relatively rare. Yes, it can be re-tipped to oblique medium. Just make sure you send it to a well established nibmeister.

I use an oblique fine on my Edson and find it does have a bit of variation, the one I tried on a MB just seemed too fine to notice anything.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Thanks for the replies! That's unfortunate that the MB line variation is negligible. Can one ask for a re-tip between an oblique fine and a medium? An oblique medium is too bold for me for standard use, and an oblique fine doesn't offer much variation..

Edited by pradhith

Thanks for the replies! That's unfortunate that the MB line variation is negligible. Can one ask for a re-tip between an oblique fine and a medium? An oblique medium is too bold for me for standard use, and an oblique fine doesn't have variation apparently doesn't offer much variation...

It's mostly the nature of the beast. An fine, edged pen, whether oblique or italic is going to be VERY paper, ink, and touch dependent. Even used optimally, they won't show much variation simply because of the combination of physics and geometry.

About a week ago I received a custom ground (crisp*) oblique fine Nakaya from John Mottishaw. If used with the wrong ink, the wrong paper, OR anything but the lightest hand, it writes like a medium. No complaints, as I said, it's the nature of the beast. If you want lots of line variation from an edged pen, think OB, OBB, or OBBB. Broader nibs also TEND to be more user friendly.

* crisp: sharply enough contoured that push strokes are challenging, even for an experienced user

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• 4 years later...

~ This thread answered questions about the realities of using an OF nib.

It's especially useful to read the caution from Mickey concerning using the lightest possible hand.

His emphasis on paper and ink along with a writer's touch is solid advice.

As he notes, it's the physics and geometry of the finer nibs which require the deftest, most sensitive of use to obtain optimal performance.

My EF and Bespoke EEF nibs have surprised me with line variation and ink shading, but only on the finest paper and with the gentlest of strokes.

It's a pleasure to find such older threads with answers to questions from years past.

Tom K.

I have a OM and its so fine that I can hardly see the line variation unless I concentrate really hard and maintain optimal angle to get the variation. I believe a OF will be even more the case. Is it worth the trouble?

Huge fan of oblique nibs, they work well for me but an oblique fine just misses the point for me.

BTW - does anyone else get annoying pompous messages and interference from ebay member Obliquefine? Rather like the nib after which they are named - pointless!

I have a OM and its so fine that I can hardly see the line variation unless I concentrate really hard and maintain optimal angle to get the variation. I believe a OF will be even more the case. Is it worth the trouble?

Huge fan of oblique nibs, they work well for me but an oblique fine just misses the point for me.

BTW - does anyone else get annoying pompous messages and interference from ebay member Obliquefine? Rather like the nib after which they are named - pointless!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/93236-what-mbs-are-you-using-today/page-136

fpn_1507281425__2715.png

~ Pravda and Beechwood:

Thank you for your frank and to-the-point comments.

That Montblanc doesn't offer an OF nib tends to support your reasoning.

BTW: I laughed out loud when reading the comment about eBay member Obliquefine.

What both of you have explained makes good sense.

What sticks in my thoughts are the lovely lines written by older model Pelikan OF nibs.

While they're certainly different from Montblanc nibs, the lines were unexpectedly appealing with line variation.

On premium paper that's both smooth and heavy, I've observed line variation from Montblanc EF and Bespoke EEF nibs.

That was especially noticeable with darker red inks and medium blue inks.

As I use those nibs in sketches, the line variation is especially appreciated.

Artist friends have noticed it, being surprised that finer nibs were capable discernible degrees of shading in sketches.

Solely for my own interest I'm drawn to the possibility of an OF nib, especially if it were to feature a slight touch of flex.

However, as my judgment and experience are notoriously limited with regard to fountain pens, your comments above carry much weight.

My interest in a Montblanc OF nib persists, perhaps suggesting a certain lack of good sense.

Tom K.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/93236-what-mbs-are-you-using-today/page-136

fpn_1507281425__2715.png

~ Pravda and Beechwood:

Thank you for your frank and to-the-point comments.

That Montblanc doesn't offer an OF nib tends to support your reasoning.

BTW: I laughed out loud when reading the comment about eBay member Obliquefine.

What both of you have explained makes good sense.

What sticks in my thoughts are the lovely lines written by older model Pelikan OF nibs.

While they're certainly different from Montblanc nibs, the lines were unexpectedly appealing with line variation.

On premium paper that's both smooth and heavy, I've observed line variation from Montblanc EF and Bespoke EEF nibs.

That was especially noticeable with darker red inks and medium blue inks.

As I use those nibs in sketches, the line variation is especially appreciated.

Artist friends have noticed it, being surprised that finer nibs were capable discernible degrees of shading in sketches.

Solely for my own interest I'm drawn to the possibility of an OF nib, especially if it were to feature a slight touch of flex.

However, as my judgment and experience are notoriously limited with regard to fountain pens, your comments above carry much weight.

My interest in a Montblanc OF nib persists, perhaps suggesting a certain lack of good sense.

Tom K.

Firstly Tom, can I say what a pleasure it is to read your posts, the civility and politeness that you show, along with member, Parkerduofold, is an example to us all as to how to treat others with respect and dignity.

You may be opening a can of worms in seeking flexibity with an oblique nib. I prefer to use an oblique nib because I tend to rotate the nib through 10-20 degrees between finger and thumb and also my forearm is not in line with the page but kinked off to the right for about 35 degrees. Therefore a savage oblique nib as produced in the past by Sheaffer works very well, their obliques were around 35 degrees and stiff. I now recreate these nibs using Jinhao nibs to BB and a strong oblique. I then obtain a good level of variation, as in the central O of the attachment.

To have a flexible nib with an oblique nib may require a very diffrent writing style and more skills than I have in my pocket.

I have an OM nib and to me it is perfect.

It produces much more noticeable line variation than my other MB with an M nib.

It also gives me legible handwriting and is easy to write with in a small font / narrow ruled paper.

I found that OB+ nibs tend to involve writing in an unnatural italic handwriting and/or in a larger font than I would otherwise write in, just so that the handwriting is not obscured.

I would consider an OF nib, but I think this would need to be a bespoke commission, so probably not worth the cost.

It also gives me legible handwriting and is easy to write with in a small font / narrow ruled paper.

I found that OB+ nibs tend to involve writing in an unnatural italic handwriting and/or in a larger font than I would otherwise write in, just so that the handwriting is not obscured.

I would consider an OF nib, but I think this would need to be a bespoke commission, so probably not worth the cost.

+1 My OM nibs are perfect to me too. :) I wasn't aware whether Mb ever made an OF nib.

+1 My OM nibs are perfect to me too. :) I wasn't aware whether Mb ever made an OF nib.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/47031-celluloid-montblanc-146-of-nib-14-c/

fpn_1507287358__of.png

fpn_1507287487__writing.png

~ Chrissy:

FPN member ImQuagmire has been offering the above pen in the FPN Classifieds.

It's uncertain whether it's a factory OF nib or a later modification.

I have personal knowledge that Montblanc did produce 3-42 G OF nibs, which had ‘OF’ on the piston nob.

At one time I saw one, and might have acquired it. In retrospect, it was foolish of me to have passed it up.

I'm delighted that your OM nibs meet your needs, especially considering your expertise with fine ink evaluation.

Several Diamine inks I recently acquired were as a result of having read your excellent ink reviews.

Tom K.

~ Chrissy:

FPN member ImQuagmire has been offering the above pen in the FPN Classifieds.

It's uncertain whether it's a factory OF nib or a later modification.

I have personal knowledge that Montblanc did produce 3-42 G OF nibs, which had ‘OF’ on the piston nob.

At one time I saw one, and might have acquired it. In retrospect, it was foolish of me to have passed it up.

I'm delighted that your OM nibs meet your needs, especially considering your expertise with fine ink evaluation.

Several Diamine inks I recently acquired were as a result of having read your excellent ink reviews.

Tom K.

Thank you for your important and interesting OF nib information, and for your kind comments. :)

~ horationelson:

Reading your thoughts on your OM nib is compelling evidence of the value of oblique nibs.

Thank you for explaining the difference between writing with an OM and with OB+ nibs.

As I understand it, Montblanc currently offers OF nibs under the Bespoke Nib program, as you've noted.

That doesn't lessen my interest, as such a personalized nib might be especially treasured.

Tom K.

I have a Mb that I could consider having a nib exchange for. However, I really love my F and my OM nibs, and don't have a craving for any others. I don't have any Mb OB or OBB nibs, but I have some in other brands and consider I have enough.

Actually, I have enough pens. :) ....Did I really just say that? :o

Firstly Tom, can I say what a pleasure it is to read your posts, the civility and politeness that you show, along with member, Parkerduofold, is an example to us all as to how to treat others with respect and dignity.

You may be opening a can of worms in seeking flexibity with an oblique nib. I prefer to use an oblique nib because I tend to rotate the nib through 10-20 degrees between finger and thumb and also my forearm is not in line with the page but kinked off to the right for about 35 degrees. Therefore a savage oblique nib as produced in the past by Sheaffer works very well, their obliques were around 35 degrees and stiff. I now recreate these nibs using Jinhao nibs to BB and a strong oblique. I then obtain a good level of variation, as in the central O of the attachment.

To have a flexible nib with an oblique nib may require a very diffrent writing style and more skills than I have in my pocket.

~ Beechwood:

Thank you very much for your generous comment.

To this day it's clear that I'm a product of my upbringing, for which I'm deeply grateful.

Yes, the idea of an oblique nib with flexibility is a somewhat vexatious notion.

I'd noted a ‘slight touch of flex’ as I've personally seen a Montblanc 3-42 G and a Pelikan 400nn, both with factory OF nibs, both of which wrote with a ‘slight touch of flex’.

Nothing overly dramatic, yet unmistakable. As yours truly sketches with fountain pens as much as writing with them, a wee touch of flex has a definite appeal.

Nonetheless, your prudent caution is more than well-taken. Venturing down such a lane, overgrown from very little traffic, would be a fool's errand unless one had both eyes open and a realistic concept of what was involved.

The attachment which you've so kindly shared is of great value. Thank you so much for including it.

The replies, questions, cautions and insights in this thread are of the greatest value to those pondering a contemporary Montblanc OF nib.

As so often occurs, the FPN Montblanc Forum is a wellspring of practical wisdom and sound experience. We're fortunate to have access to such a fine resource.

Tom K.

~ This evening I came upon information which was new to me, as so much tends to be.

https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-customizations

Toward the bottom of the page is a section called “Flexible Oblique”.

I'm insufficiently versed to determine whether or not it's germane to the discussion above.

Mr. Mottishaw's company explains that “flexibility is most often applied to finer nib units”, adding a caution similar to that helpfully given by Beechwood above, that such nibs may be challenging to less experienced users.

Of particular interest is the “Flexible Oblique” handwriting sample. It is very similar to the Pelikan OF handwriting that I've seen.

While far from definitive, it keeps alive my interest in OF nibs with a wee touch of flex.

Tom K.

~ After several inquiries and follow-up e-mails, I've confirmed that two respected naturalists used OF nibs for field sketching.

One such nib was by Pelikan, while the other was on a Montblanc 3-42 G.

Apparently neither pen & nib combination was a special order, but were regarded as standard options in the post-war era when yours truly was born.

An elderly naturalist explained that OF nibs with a bit of flex were ideally suited for quick sketches of wildlife, where there was no time to use watercolors.

Tom K.

• 4 months later...

~ After several years of consideration I've acquired two OF nibs:

• Pelikan 400 OF

• Montblanc 24 OF

Below are photos of the two nibs together and of the Montblanc 24 OF nib alone.

Tom K.

fpn_1518601190__two_of_nibs.jpg

Two OF Nibs

fpn_1518602575__24_of_nib.jpg

24 OF Nib