The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Faberschneider Frankenloom

faber-castell loom schneider

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Moxoftritonytes

Moxoftritonytes

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2013 - 18:54

I bought a Faber-Castell Loom today because I like FC`s pens for their excellent steel nibs from Bock in Heidelberg. The Loom is very nice for a cheap pen, just the weight is something I don`t like for I`m used to writing with mainly lightweight pens.
So what to do?
Find a lighter barrel for the pen. So I rummaged in my box of cheapo fountain pens and found an older Schneider ink spiller with a plastic barrel that not only fit to the Loom`s section but also matched colourwise. The Faberschneider Frankenloom was born:
2i8gio7.jpg
The barrel`s threadings fit 100 percent to the threadings of the section, and the outer diameter is the same, as you can see here:
aadv1v.jpg
Here`s a pic of the really excellent Bock nib the Loom has:
rkzts6.jpg
The result of this Doctor Frankenstein operation with pen body parts is a finally light-weight fountain pen with that you can write countless hours without getting tired by a heavy barrel that`s constantly pulling your hand down.
I got the Schneider pen from Aldi. It came in a set of two pens and a pack of cartridges and was sold for 1,99 there.They sell these there twice a year so good luck in finding some.

Greetings,
Moxoftritonytes

Sponsored Content

#2 alc3261

alc3261

50 Something Callinebephile!!

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2013 - 18:56

Great idea!!

#3 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2013 - 21:46

Interesting.

Because of the solution, and because of the fact that one person finds ways to make pens lighter, while another (me) is thinking about making pens heavier.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#4 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2013 - 22:17

Interesting.

Because of the solution, and because of the fact that one person finds ways to make pens lighter, while another (me) is thinking about making pens heavier.

D.ick

Get one that will carry a pair of international shorts, and fill the second one with mercury  ;)

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#5 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2013 - 22:39

Get one that will carry a pair of international shorts, and fill the second one with mercury  ;)

Innovative, Dirck. :lticaptd:

Drawback is that it will not balance well and give a terrible drag...

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,262 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 22:40

Chinese pens, will do the trick for heavy.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faber-castell, loom, schneider

Sponsored Content

|