Top Posters In This Topic

• MisterBoll

• Ghost Plane

• fountainpenlady

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been remiss in not posting a response to this thread. I wanted to say to anyone who is contemplating purchasing one of these fine journals, don't hesitate! They're wonderfully made, top quality, not just the paper (which is exceptional) but the entire package... The finishing, binding, trimming, everything.

I can't possibly say enough about these journals and I will definitely unquestionably be making another purchase as soon as I can.

Thank you for a wonderful finished product. It's a -joy- to use.

These books and the Tomoe river paper are outstanding...

Now my followup question is, does TomoeGawa make other variations of this type of paper? I really love this paper, but I don't strictly need it to be this thin (when I got my first notebook and felt the paper I didn't think there was any possibility it would hold up to FP ink, but it does, oh so well).

Do they make paper that is maybe a tiny bit more opaque? I did email the US distributed of TomoeGawa products and they told me that they don't bring in the paper :(

I did email the US distributed of TomoeGawa products and they told me that they don't bring in the paper :(

We could always have a raffle (of sorts) and give away a ticket to Japan, an empty suitcase, and orders.

I'm sure someone here would be game.

I'm now halfway through my first of 3 notebooks. The one I'm using travels everywhere with me and still looks brand new. The quality (& beauty) of these notebooks is second to none.

You're all making me blush!

Thank you for the kind words.

The other day I was taking some new photos for the PaperForFountainPens.com website, and I found myself torn in two directions: one minimalist, spare; the other cluttered, busy. I'm not sure which direction I'd rather go in, though I think that if I choose the cluttered style then I might try to arrange a different composition.

Which direction to you all think I should go in for the website illustrations: minimalist or cluttered…or both?

Here are examples:

fpn_1384003809__paperforfountainpensa.jp

fpn_1384003843__paperforfountainpensb.jp

Thank you for all your support!

—Jay

www.PaperForFountainPens.com

Tomoe River Paper is a muse to me.

Minimal - with some writing on the page - a few sentences will do.

The cluttered image focuses too much on the writing - not the paper.

Minimal - with some writing on the page - a few sentences will do.

The cluttered image focuses too much on the writing - not the paper.

+1 for a minimalist image...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Not to be contrary but I have in other crcumstances been known as the outlier, you know, that dot that does not fit well on the curve. I don't want to be counted as '+whatever' for minimal, and yet I abhor clutter (we hate most that weakeness we see nourselves?). Of course no one is going to vote for 'Clutter', no matter what your desk or garage may look like. let me suggest that the choices are biased. Now if you had said "sterile or information rich", which side of the boat might we all be running to?

I think the better approach is neither one extreme or the other but somewhere in between. I recently viewed a post in the Pelikan forum (something about a 400Nn tortoise) which I thought offered a great visual display of paper, pen, and ink. It certainly is not minimalist, might even be considered cluttered but no one can argue that it is not attractive, inviting to the eye, and with nearly no words of explanation at all, very informative. Of course it's purpose was to display the capabilities of a certain pen nib but a simialr attention to display could as easily show what a superior product this offering is.

People want ot know about bleed through, or 'ghosting', this could easily, and attractively be illustrated, without being considered 'clutter'. likewise many of the other fine points of interest such as the binding, the cover material, and the other production details can easily be provided with great photography. Add one page listing the specs to satisfy the data geeks and you have a marketing effort devoid of clutter, and detail minutiea. Those interested in, or familiar with the essential selling point, the paper, will easily have all the information they need to make a purchase decision.

Does this look cluttered .... or minimalist?

fpn_1383931039__imag0711.jpg

Edited by DrCodfish

Does this look cluttered .... or minimalist?

As a photo - I would change the angle. As an image to sell notebooks - too cluttered.

I've been wanting to try this paper. Can anyone tell me if these notebooks lie flat when in use? I really hate writing over the hump on the left and down in the crack on the right...

"Ravens play with lost time."

I received my first notebook last week and have decided it is so magnificent that I will use it for a five-year journal, beginning this coming Jan. 1. Have made a simple template to line each page into five sections, plenty of space for 3-4 lines of handwriting about what each day brought. If I am able to convince myself that my "Morning Pages" are worth such fine paper, I will be ordering more of these lovely books. Thank you for making them available, Jay!