First Bottled Ink?

elysee

I started using bottled ink around the age of...10 I think. Would've been in the mid-90s. If I recall, the ink was Sheaffer Blue-Black.

Ditto and exactly in 52.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elysee

• corniche

• amberleadavis

• ac12

I remember Peacock Blue was a nice color.

But I cannot recall the exact color.

Do you know of a modern equivalent of Peacock blue?

Visconti isn't bad at alll but IMO it'll definitely have to be ku-jaku.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

If I remember correctly, my first bottle of ink was Noodler's Red Black.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Pelikan Blue Black. Didn't like it too much and so quite a lot remained in it before I bought another color (don't remember what it was). Then I gave the bottle to my father who was more than happy to use it for reviving his old school pen.

Greetings,

Michael

Waterman Black. It came with my Phileas, and the ink oozed out of the M nib too quickly. I tried Pelikan Royal Blue and Turquoise right after that, and they worked great for me in the M Phileas.

Turquoise

Here is a thread about replacements for Peacock Blue.

Here are some samples from around FPN.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/163-original.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/elainepnj/turquoise.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-06-12_06_small.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks guys.

I might get to see my old "peacock blue" again.

I took a look at the various online samples of the 3 inks; Visconti tuqouise, ku-juku, Sheaffer turquoise.

Wow, the turquoise is a bright ink. I can't imagine a whole page of it.

I think it will be fun to pick up a bottle of turquoise, write with it and be take back to way back then. :)

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Bought blind (before I discovered samples), two PR inks:

Tanzanite

Burgundy Mist

I lucked out wit both of them. Tanzanite is one of my must-have-nearby inks. Burgundy Mist has taken a back seat to two similar colors that are a little closer to my ideal in that range. But both were great first purchases, great intros to fountain pen inks. No regrets.

First was sheaffer turquoise and second was pr tanzanite.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Parker Quink Black.

Followed a few years later by Nooderl's Blue that Shall not be Named.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

My first bottled ink was Noodler's Black. I always have at least one pen filled with it.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

I bought a bottle of Pilot Blue-Black at the same time I bought my first fountain pen- a black Pilot 78G, reasoning that ink from the same company that made a pen would probably work pretty good in that pen.

Pilot Blue-Black isn't going to knock your socks off, or anything, but I like how it looks coming out of the fine nib, and it has a weird sort of bland-chemical smell that I like.

"Everything I do and say and the way I do and say it annoys me." ~William F. Buckley, Jr.

The first bottle of ink that I ever purchased was a bottle of Parker Quink Turquoise. :)

Sheaffer Peacock Blue...still have the box, cost me a whole 29 cents, plus tax.

I used a bottle of Sheaffer Peacock Blue during college. : )

My first was Noodler's Purple Martin. I don't even know why I bought it when all I used at the time were cartridges.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Well, I started using fountain pens after discovering this forum. Naturally I started with a bottle of Noodler's Black and a Lamy Safari!

My first two bottles of ink arrived with a TWSBI 540; Lamy Blue-Black and PR Chocolat. Very soon after came Diamine Umber.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

My first bottle was Diamine Imperial Purple, which arrived along with a converter for my Rotring Initial. Much as I love the colour and enjoyed the departure into something different, I've pretty much settled back into blue, black or blue-black. :rolleyes: