Nakaya Titanium Piccolo Writer

quinden

As promised, here's my review of the Nakaya titanium Piccolo Writer with a broad stub nib. :)
My handwritten review is at the bottom, but I wanted to add some thoughts with each photo, so the text of the handwritten review is not going to completely match the review as posted - sorry about that!
fpn_1376238679__titanium1_517x800.jpg

Here it is, in all its glory
fpn_1376238731__titaniumcloseup1_794x800

Note the pointed ends. On an urushi or maki-e Piccolo, this is a soft, conical shape. On the titanium Piccolo, it's weapons-grade :)
fpn_1376238780__titaniumcloseup2_729x567

The machining/lathing marks you see here are continued on the grip; they provide a very pleasant texture! This grip is not slippery at all, which had been one of my concerns with this pen as I have somewhat oily skin.
fpn_1376238841__titaniumcloseup3_696x800

fpn_1376238877__titaniumcloseup4_800x630

The delightful stub! As I noted in my earlier post, there is some exposed gold where the ruthenium plating was ground off in the process of stubbing this nib. In use, I never notice this.
fpn_1376238927__titaniumgroup1_616x800.j

A group shot. From left to right: Sheaffer Legacy I in sterling silver with gold trim, Pilot Art Silvern in sterling silver (from 1976 with earlier clip), Nakaya titanium Piccolo Writer, Parker 61 Flighter in steel. I wanted to show the difference in metals, mainly: the titanium has more of a greyish hue, and because of the lathing marks the finish is somewhat matte; I wish I had a Lamy 2000 in brushed steel to compare. Sizewise, you can see that it is short but stout; I believe the section diameter is roughly the same as an Aurora 88 large or a Montblanc 146.
fpn_1376238978__titaniumgroup2_584x800.j

Same group, uncapped.
fpn_1376239023__titaniumwriteup_494x800.

The written review! All measurements and weights from the Classic Fountain Pens website (nibs.com)
Some additional thoughts: would I recommend this pen? First, I would have to ask you some questions:
1) Do you like heavy pens?
2) Do you like metal pens?
3) Do you like Nakaya nibs?
If you answered yes, then yes, this is the pen for you :)
Expanding on my written review, this will never be my all-day writer, but for jotting notes in meetings or signing on documents, it's perfect. John Mottishaw knows how to stub a nib - it glides over the paper with the barest hint of feedback - just enough to give me a good amount of control.
I hope everyone enjoyed the review! If you have any questions, fire away :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quinden

• ethernautrix

• pbkgwo

• Pen Nut

What a wonderful pen! thanks so much for review and for showing the pen and your amazing handwriting to us! and yes, Mottishaw is great!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari, thanks very much! I have been inspired by your reviews and it makes me pretty happy that you like it :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Haha, this is not the pen for me (too heavy and metallic), but I enjoyed reading your review nonetheless. For some reason, the clip really stands out here---I know it's the same shape as the other Nakaya Piccolos, but I've never noticed how round and cute it was until here.

The pointy end looks very dangerous---like, I-will-poke-a-hole-in-your-chest-if-you're-a-vampire/zombie-dangerous. They should make a warning label for that. o_O Combined with the exposed gold on the nib, it gives this Nakaya a very industrial, urban, postmodern vibe. XD Kind of like it's saying: "Yeah, I'm cool and I know it. Got a problem with that?"

But then you see the cute little clip again and think...'Nahh....this pen's too nice to beat me up.' And when you start writing with it, it turns into. 'Ooooh, so elegant and refined....definitely a gentleman with modern tastes.'

Just my stream of consciousness on the matter.

Now, the one question weighing on my mind is....what in the world is that rock? Is it two rocks or one?

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Thanks, Jadie, glad you liked the review!

It's definitely not a pen for everyone :)

It is one rock, with fossilized squid. the squid were polished, and the surrounding rock was left untouched to give it that look. It was a birthday present I gave to my wife, so it is very dear to me.

Thank you for the review - one I was looking forward to read! One of my fantasy (along with a Romillo pen) is a Long Cigar in titanium... I need to win the lottery (and then, well, start playing then). Beautiful pics!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Just the touch of titanium makes my skin crawl. This is such a shame as Ti is also popular in the outdoors world for cooking equipment, another of my interests. It has to be said that it is a beautiful pen nontheless. Perhaps you could send it to me to see if I could overcome my "allergy" to this material? I would imagine 4 or 5 years might be enough!

@Namo, thanks!

@AndyHayes, it would be a veritable crime to subject you to the element which repulses you, so I could never do that ;)

Oh man I love the feel and look of Ti ! All of my watches and watch bands have to be titanium! I would so love to have a pen made all the way with this wonderful metal!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

My long distance endurance bicycle (custom gometry) is Ti. It's my second Ti framed bike, I love the feel. The pen is awesome, and matched with a Motishaw stub, well, I could see going many miles with that set up.

Thanks so much for showing, I was totally unaware.

@pakmanpony, nibs.com's Nakaya availability chart shows that there's still at least one titanium Piccolo left...just sayin' ;)

You're welcome, Dr. Codfish!

Great review and stunning handwriting ! but, theres always a but, no, the pen would not be for me and I am a metal pen fan.

It just looks like a Parker 61 that needs a diet and the threads remind me of those on a lug nut ! I went across to my Nakaya to experience a 'different' form of writing instrument and the urushi finish still makes me smile when I both see and hold it. Not throwing insults at your new baby and it is each to his own but considering the finishes on offer that one would not have been mine.

Yours in friendly 'nibmanship'

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

@breaker, thanks!

@Pen Nut, different (pen) strokes for different (pen) folks - I do love my urushi pens, but there's just something about a metal pen that I really enjoy :)

Thanks, Jadie, glad you liked the review!

It's definitely not a pen for everyone :)

It is one rock, with fossilized squid. the squid were polished, and the surrounding rock was left untouched to give it that look. It was a birthday present I gave to my wife, so it is very dear to me.

Wow, I never knew squids were so shiny. Glad your wife lent you the rock for the photo-op!

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

nice review of a nice pen...

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Thanks, da vinci and Montblanc owner and lover :)

Jadie, the fossil is doubly dear to me because my wife passed away last year - it holds a lot of fond memories of going to the Museum of Natural Science and spending all day looking at various fossils...

Great review!

How long you are waiting for your Nakaya?

K.

PELIKAN: 100N,100N,100N,101N,M250,400,400NN,500N,500NN,500NN,M1000

AURORA: Optima Demonstrator

PILOT: Elabo Falcon

TWSBI: 530,540,Vac700,Mini

The group portrait is fabulous, Josh!

The Piccolo is my favorite Nakaya model, and while I (probably) wouldn't buy the titanium Piccolo, I would cherish one if one were given to me. I think it looks fabulous.

And your handwriting with that nib.... I have come to the sad realization that I probably can't write comfortably with stub, either. I already knew that I was hopeless with italics. I'm a whiz with Rapidographs, though.

Nakaya! Nakaya!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.