How is "Lamy" Pronounced?

ericthered2004

What's the correct/most common pronunciation of "Lamy" in English? Is it LAME-Y, LAMB-Y, LARM-Y?

Anyone know? Anyone German?

Regards, Eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• captnemo

• ericthered2004

• KateGladstone

• kai-wun

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

It's La m ee. (I don't know how to drop in the accent marks)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Think of these two musical notes: "la, mi."

I don't know why the spelling would lead anyone

to assume an /r/ sound anywhere in the word.

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

Guest Saints1976

I don't know why the spelling would lead anyone

to assume an /r/ sound anywhere in the word.

How do you pronounce the musical note "la" to not have a r sound at the end. Everywhere I have heard that note it is lard without the d. The only other way to pronounce it is the French feminine of the English word the

I have never heard the musical note pronounced that way.

Kate has it right. A German pronounces it "la mi", as in "lahhhmeee" (emphasis on the first syllable). How most English speakers pronounce it might be another matter. :doh:

This reminds me of the first time my Opa (grandfather) came over from Hamburg and visited the U.S. back in the 60's. He said (in German, of course) "Oh you have a 'sahfuhvye' here too!" I was completely puzzled for about a minute, until I realized he was referring the the Safeway supermarket we had just passed. :roflmho:

Lamy rhymes with "Tommy," not "Tammy." B)

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

How do you pronounce the musical note "la" to not have a r sound at the end. Everywhere I have heard that note it is lard without the d. The only other way to pronounce it is the French feminine of the English word the

I have never heard the musical note pronounced that way.

I suspect this is a UK / US difference in pronunciation habits. At least in the western US, the note is usually pronounced "lah" (rhymes with awe) or "luh" (schwa sound, rhymes with duh).

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced to rhyme with "awe" in the musical "The Sound of Music", but then again Julie Andrews is British...

I've definitely heard British accents where "Lamy" could sound like "lahrmy", though. I think that's called an "intrusive R" sound.

I'm going to pronounce it to rhyme with "Tommy" instead of my former "Lambee" ... thanks everyone.

Michael Moncur

Lamy rhymes with "Tommy,"  not "Tammy."    B)

Rhyming with Tommy is the best example. Perfect. (But the American pronunciation of Tommy, not the British one.) :doh:

Wow now I'm confused. Does it sound like "lomy" then?

I've always said "lam-me" lam as in lamb... me as in me...

Lamy rhymes with "Tommy,"  not "Tammy."    B)

Rhyming with Tommy is the best example. Perfect. (But the American pronunciation of Tommy, not the British one.) :doh:

Wow now I'm confused. Does it sound like "lomy" then?

I've always said "lam-me" lam as in lamb... me as in me...

Perhaps a few more examples of rhyming words would help:

tommy, mommy, commie, swami (American pronunciation, again)

That's all I can think of. :doh:

Edited by captnemo

balmy?

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

Hmmm... there was a thread about pronouncing the name Lamy, but I can't find it now. In it, I think it was concluded that the correct way to pronounce it is "Lamb-mee", which is close to "Tammy". So that's not right then? It's "Lah-mee", similar to how Llama is pronounced?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

The confusion is over how an "a" is usually pronounced in French and German, as opposed to how it is sometimes pronounced in English.

The way people from the US generally pronounce the car maker Mazda, has exactly the same "a" as in Lamy. Does that help?

In standard American English. "Tommy" sounds like "Tah-mee" (similarly, "hot" has the same vowel-sound as "hah," etc.) ... so "Tommy" rhymes with "swami" which rhymes with "Lamy."

I can't believe that anyone, anywhere, would pronounce "la" (the name of the musical note) so that it ended with the same sound which begins "rack, rent, rip, rod, rug," etc.:

the /r/ sound, the same sound a dog makes.

"Car" ends with that consonant-sound: "la" does not — at least, not in the English I grew up with.

As Mark Twain noted: "There is no such thing as the 'Queen's English.' The property has gone into the hands of a joint stock company and we [the Americans] own the bulk of the shares."

;-)

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

Hmmm... there was a thread about pronouncing the name Lamy, but I can't find it now.  In it, I think it was concluded that the correct way to pronounce it is "Lamb-mee", which is close to "Tammy".  So that's not right then?  It's "Lah-mee", similar to how Llama is pronounced?

Well, the original question was how would a German pronounce it, and the answer is it double-rhymes with Tommy (and commie and mommy), all pronounced in the American way. Yes, the "ahh" sound is like in llama.

Hmmm... there was a thread about pronouncing the name Lamy, but I can't find it now. In it, I think it was concluded that the correct way to pronounce it is "Lamb-mee", which is close to "Tammy".

Perhaps this thread?

Pronunciations

I am German, by the way, and can confirm that there's no "r" sound and that it definitely doesn't rhyme with "Tammy". :)

Regards

Hans-Peter