FRajput

Hey guys!

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 19 year old Pharamacology student (pre-med) and I actually just recently took an interest in fountain pens (about a week ago). I then went out and purchased a pack of Pilot Varsities from my local OfficeMax to see whether FP's are for me. I loved the way the FP's wrote, and now I can't even fathom how nice it would be to use a better FP for my daily writing. My professor even complimented my pen while we were taking a quiz last week. I'm currently awaiting my shipment of FP's and Ink to arrive. I ordered a Lamy Safari (F), a Pilot Metropolitan (M), The Lamy Z24 Converter, and some Waterman's Havana Brown ink.

I've basically been getting my fix of FP's from Youtube video's this past week. LOL.

I also went out and purchased a dip pen a few days back and a bottle of Higgin's black Ink. It's been a fun few days. :)

I'd appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice on how I can make my FP experience as enjoyable as possible. I'd love to here from all of you FPN veterans. Also, I'm looking for suggestions as to what my next pen in my collection should be. I'm thinking of upgrading to a gold plated nib that write nicely. I'm also a college student so please keep suggested pens relatively cheap. :) Thank everyone! :)

-Fahad

Edited by FRajput

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• FRajput

• PAKMAN

• Clancy

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome !

Unlike a ballpoint pen, fountain pens are intended to be used with a relaxed grip, fingers more extended. One does not have

to press down, as the liquid ink is attracted to paper. One merely "guides" the pen. I think you will find this an advantage, considering all the writing one does in college. Use only "fountain pen" ink in your fountain pens.

You have the opportunity to use both the Safari and the Metropolitan extensively, in everyday writing. Note what you like about

each, and dislike about each. Such will be beneficial in choosing your next fountain pen.

Ink cartridges are intended to be disposable, but may be refilled many times, using a syringe.

What characteristic would you seek in you next fountain pen ?

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi Fahad and :W2FPN:

Writing with a fountainpen is very nice, even therapeutic. Just let the weight of the pen on paper do the work, no pressing down like a ballpointpen. Also the writing angle is lower. Just use your arm muscles to form the letters and let your fingers only hold the pen in place in a relaxed way....

The advice by Sasha above ^^^ is sound: That ink you use for your dip pen may not be suitable for the narrow channels inside your fountainpen. The "feed", as it is called, may clog, rendering your nice fountainpen useless.

Enjoy your stay on FPN.

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hello Fahad. Greetings from California and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to the fountain pen network!!!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

Thanks Everyone!

I just enjoyed my first day with my FP's. I love the ink as it dries very quickly, doesn't bleed nor feather, and you can't even see it on the back side of the paper you just wrote on. This is going to be great for classes, since I take loads of notes.

I noticed that the nibs in both of my FP's actually flex very slightly. Is that normal for FP's?

Now that it's the end of the day, my FP's are beginning to write very dry and the pens are also getting a bit scratchy because of this (but ONLY on yellow filler paper. They write perfectly fine on white printer paper)... Why is this happening? (I have a Lamy Safari [F] and a Pilot Metropolitan [M] in case you didn't see the above mentioned). I rinsed the pens with water before I filled them with Waterman's Havana Brown ink. If it's the paper, is there a better ink for filler paper? Any advice would be seriously appreciated.

-Fahad

Edited by FRajput

Nibs range from extremely flexible "wet noodles" to very rigid "nails".

This has a purpose. The very flexible ones will spread the tines with a little bit of pressure, so you can produce line width variation that way. But beware, too much pressure and the nib will bend often beyond repair. (a sprung nib)

Stiffer nibs were used for carbon copy or multiple forms. They can withstand much more pressure before bending.

These days manufactures make rather rigid nibs, on average as many people are used to the high writing pressure required by ballpoint pens. With the more rigid nibs these people have less chance of ruining their precious fountainpen.

A good fountainpen actually does not need any pressure, the simple weight of the pen is enough. You can relax your handmuscles and just use your arm muscles (not the fingermuscles) to guide the pen on the paper.

Writing with a very flexible nib is a special skill (I am not able to do it) I call it 3D writing, as you not only steer the pen in the plane of the paper but also move it up and down so to say (more or less pressure)

Most people find a little bit of flex nicer than an extremely rigid nib. You will find advocates of all type of nibs here on FPN. But a flex nib IS not better or worse than a rigid nib, someone LIKES it better or worse.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hello and welcome to FPN.

The world of pens, ink and paper can become all consuming. I suggest you enjoy the pens you have ordered and develop a feel for what you are interested in. In time, maybe look to some vintage pens, such as Parker 51 or Esterbrook. You can pick up Esterbrooks in good shape for around $30 - $40.

Enjoy.